Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Ugly In The Morning posted:

At work last night some of the early 20’s kids that are managers were doing the one chip challenge thing and freaking out about it, so I decided to flex on them and just do one completely stonefaced. It is now 10 hours later and I am deeply regretting that decision.

How was it otherwise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Thanks for the explanation. Might be novel but I’ll probably give it a pass in lieu of a bottle of something more flavorful.

Any recommendations for ultra-hot sauces that actually taste okay? My tolerance is getting up there. I tried a few thread favorites from Heatonist and really loved the bottle of Fiyah Fiyah I got, but wouldn’t mind a bit more heat. Maybe some of the previous iterations of last dab? I finished my bottle of last dab Apollo in about a month, but I was just using it for heat and didn’t really care for the flavor.

e: for the record: I thought the Los Calientes barbacoa was amazing, the Bravado black garlic reaper sauce was quite good, the Dawson’s Sichuan ghost pepper sauce was good but not as easy to pair with things (and real hard to use at fridge temp), and the Classic is a solid table sauce that I rarely use but my significant other with a lower heat tolerance loves.

The last dab Apollo was plenty hot, but entirely one note and I didn’t really care for the note.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 4, 2021

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Anyone have thoughts on making pepper tinctures? I’m exploring alternative ways to amp up the heat, but I still want to wind up with something that tastes good. Most everything I can find regarding homemade stuff is just chili heads going for maximum burn, mixed in with a couple of woo-woo alternative medicine types. I’ve seen some YouTubers review at least a few commercial products that they thought tasted decent, so I’d like to aim higher than “dump ghost pepper powder in everclear, let it sit for a while, then strain.”

I figured it couldn’t be too different from making a decent chili powder and so I got a few jars going with that in mind, but I’m just winging it.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 9, 2021

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Jhet posted:

I don't think that you'll get as much of the subtle flavors in a tincture, but it's worth a shot. All you'd do is chop up the peppers (a lot) and stick them in some vodka or higher neutral flavor spirit and leave them for a while. You could also do it in an immersion circulator at 145 for 90 minutes and that would take much less time and probably be just fine. It might work just fine.

On the note of processing, I think this has come up itt before, but if anyone was unaware: the threads in standard width (i.e. - not wide mouth) screw top mason jars match those of cheap blenders with blade assemblies that unscrew from the pitcher. Mine doesn't make a good enough seal to reliably hold actual liquid like that, but it worked well enough to contain dried peppers, and I think fresh would work fine if you're not actually blending them down into a puree. So you can just do your pepper processing in the same vessel you're gonna use for the extraction.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
In addition to fermenting your peppers with honey, it's also a great idea to ferment your honey with peppers.

IIRC there was a year where someone brought a ghost pepper mead to the mazer cup that was on the order of one pepper per 375 ml bottle or so, and it just annihilated all the non-chiliheads. I couldn't track down that story with a quick google search, but I did see that Moonlight Meadery took a gold medal with a habanero/ghost/scorpion semisweet a few years back.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Are the small bottles glass?

It was a bit of a pain in the butt, but I took a bunch of dried peppers (mostly superhots), made an everclear tincture, and put it in a bunch of little 1oz glass tincture bottles. I've been evaporating off the solvent and then topping them back up with whatever catches my fancy that mixes with pepper oil. Balsamic vinegar worked great, bourbon worked great (don't bother with anything expensive, just grab the evan williams), and rumpleminze turned out interesting enough to not be a mistake.

Next time I'm going to throw some garlic in, too. I'm hoping whatever it is in garlic that works as an emulsifier is taken up by the ethanol.

e: as far as other flavor profiles, I really liked the collards & ghost sauce that's in the current Hot Ones rotation. I picked up a bottle of a seafood-oriented hot sauce at a local farmer's market that's based on lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, ginger, and thai chilies that's pretty good and unlike most other stuff.

You could also do a hot mustard or a hot honey.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 19, 2022

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I’d like to put in a plug for the “Fresh Finds” hot sauces sold at Big Lots. In particular, their Trinidad Scorpion hot sauce.

It’s a solid superhot hot sauce, although I’d put it on the milder end of that. More complex than a pepper mash sauce, but not by a lot. It’s a touch heavy on the salt for my taste, but I’m more sensitive to that than most. Overall I’d say it’s not amazing, but it’s quite decent.

It’s also $1.50 US per bottle. At that price point, it has absolutely no flaws that I’m unwilling to overlook.

Their pineapple habanero sauce is the same price and is also good. Their ghost pepper sauce tastes like a completely generic ghost pepper sauce, which I’m bored enough with in general to write off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Johnny Scoville got the lab results back for a bottle of Last Dab Pepper X. 61,019 SHU. His instagram has a shot of the lab report if you don’t feel like waiting through the YouTube vid.

https://www.instagram.com/the_johnnyscoville/p/C2k5slKSSFZ/