Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
For the last sixth months or so, I've been really enjoying this sauce. I love it on pretty much any savory dish, on account of my philistine culinary preferences. It is known to contain unacceptably high levels of lead and pesticides, and I wish to be able to make my own facsimile at home that does not possess these weaknesses. I've googled "habanero sauce recipe" repeatedly, but they're invariably over two-thirds carrots, one-quarter water, and with trace amounts of other ingredients. I just want to know how to make a sauce that tastes like it's angry at me (but not Dave's Gourmet angry at me) but won't cause me permanent plumbism. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, and have a good night.

edit: Savory dish, not non-savory dish, obviously. I ain't slathering it on Ben & Jerry's.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

FATWOLF posted:

I make a bottle of this garlicky ghost pepper sauce every year. It's mostly fresh habaneros with a few ghost peppers for extra kick but you could just substitute more habaneros for those. I add a couple of canned chipotles to the mix for a nice smoky flavour. It has a great flavour and a few drops are enough on almost anything. I find it tastes best after a couple of weeks in the fridge and will stop settling after a while if you give it a shake regularly.

e: I also love yucateca habanero sauce and was sad to hear about the lead levels. my homemade stuff is a pretty good substitute in my opinion.

Thanks, going to a gourmet market today and hopefully they'll have fresh or dried ghost chillies and anything else I need for that recipe.. Unfortunately, I'm still gonna be using a bottle of kutbil-ik de habanero in the chili con carne/chili verde hybrid I'm making today, as I'm entering it into an amateur cook-off and was told by one of the judges it would be a shoe-in after she tried it. A few tablespoons won't shut down anyone's kidneys or cause the collapse of the Roman Empire, I figure.