Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Doom Rooster posted:

Sriracha is an absolute must.

For Mexican hot sauces, I actually like Valentina the best, and it is hilariously cheap. Like, less than a dollar for a 20oz bottle here in Texas.

More Valentina love here. I did notice that it has a different cap when bought at the Mexican grocery vs Kroger. The Mexican grocer has a wide open pourer, the kroger one has a regular hot sauce tiny shaker hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Harrow posted:

This isn't exactly "hot sauce" but I think I just had straight-up Sichuan peppercorns for the first time (because I finally found a good Chinese place in this town) and I immediately understood what "numbing spice" means. I've definitely had them in small quantities before but this was the first time I really noticed their effect. That's such a unique sensation and it's awesome when it's combined with other kinds of heat. I already loved mapo tofu and now I love it even more.

I got some and tried them a few months ago, they tasted like licking a 9-volt battery but with a weird sour aftertaste.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Agreed. The Black label one is my favorite vinegar sauce. It also helps that the bottle is like twice the size of a typical one and costs less than $2.

At my local mexican grocer you can buy that stuff in a gallon jug.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
If you've got a vacuum sealer you can ferment peppers right in a bag. I did 2% salt to the weight of the peppers. The second pic is after 6 days. Needs extra liquid to replace the brine you'd normally have for sauce, but I've done an few batches without anything weird growing in there.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

*kaboom*

Hot sauce is ready!

Haha, I ended up poking a very small hole in it and putting a post it note over it to let it go another day. After a week it had produced a decent amount of 'juice' at the bottom of the bag and smelled very fermented.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

QuarkMartial posted:

Oh my God, I got a vacuum sealer for my birthday. I need like explicit details to try this.

Peppers I can grab at the store, wash and rinse, then put in a bag with salt. What else is there?

That's pretty much it, weigh them and add 2% salt, wait until it's a balloon. Make sure you use an extra big bag so there's more room for co2. I blended mine with some lime juice, white vinegar, roasted garlic, and sweet onion and it came out delicious. It will obviously need more added liquid than brined peppers, but it's just that easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Last Dab is hot but it has nothing on some of the superhots they use. I’d rather take a pour of that than any Da Bomb or Wiltshire Chili Farm’s scorpion sauce (which is less offensive than Da Bomb but hurts real bad)

Wiltshire is no where close to the disgusting taste of Da Bomb, it's particularly good on fried chicken.