Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

bunnielab posted:

Here is a question, I love mustard-based bbq sauces but I have never made one I am happy with. Can anyone recommend a good bottled brand for me to try? It's pulled pork season and I need something to get me started.

Matouk's calypso sauce is my favourite. It has a great heat from scotch bonnets with a nice sweeet mustardy flavour. I guess it's a caribbean style sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

CommonShore posted:

meeeeh on calypso sauce. I've not yet found anything I like it on. I could be biased because when I first tried it I was expecting just a straight scotch bonnet yellow sauce and got smashed in the face with mustard.

Well it is, y'know, a mustard-based sauce... like he was asking for recommendations for. That's just the style of sauce in parts of the Caribbean.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Nigmaetcetera posted:

For the last sixth months or so, I've been really enjoying this sauce. I love it on pretty much any non-savory dish, on account of my philistine culinary preferences. It is known to contain unacceptably high levels of lead and pesticides, and I wish to be able to make my own facsimile at home that does not possess these weaknesses. I've googled "habanero sauce recipe" repeatedly, but they're invariably over two-thirds carrots, one-quarter water, and with trace amounts of other ingredients. I just want to know how to make a sauce that tastes like it's angry at me (but not Dave's Gourmet angry at me) but won't cause me permanent plumbism. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, and have a good night.

I make a bottle of this garlicky ghost pepper sauce every year. It's mostly fresh habaneros with a few ghost peppers for extra kick but you could just substitute more habaneros for those. I add a couple of canned chipotles to the mix for a nice smoky flavour. It has a great flavour and a few drops are enough on almost anything. I find it tastes best after a couple of weeks in the fridge and will stop settling after a while if you give it a shake regularly.

e: I also love yucateca habanero sauce and was sad to hear about the lead levels. my homemade stuff is a pretty good substitute in my opinion.

large hands fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 28, 2014

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Thanks, going to a gourmet market today and hopefully they'll have fresh or dried ghost chillies and anything else I need for that recipe.. Unfortunately, I'm still gonna be using a bottle of kutbil-ik de habanero in the chili con carne/chili verde hybrid I'm making today, as I'm entering it into an amateur cook-off and was told by one of the judges it would be a shoe-in after she tried it. A few tablespoons won't shut down anyone's kidneys or cause the collapse of the Roman Empire, I figure.

No worries if you can't find ghost peppers it would be fine with straight fresh habanero I think. I definitely recommend adding a couple of canned chipotles, though. It really improves the flavour and gives a nice reddish colour too.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

wormil posted:

I made this sauce awhile back using 2 habeneros and it was too mild. So I added 4 more and it was still too mild. That's 6 drat habeneros so I don't know if the sauce is just incredibly well balanced or I got some bogus habeneros. The sauce is really good though, just needs to be hotter.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/mango-habanero-barbecue-sauce.html

2tsp of seeded habaneros in over 3 cups of other stuff is weak as hell. that recipe will never be hot.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

p-hop posted:

Anyone have recommendations in the same range of heat? I'm really interested in trying other brands based on the same style of sauce. It's Caribbean in origin, but doesn't have any defining ingredients other than the type of pepper used.

i like all the matouk's sauces but their flambeau sauce is similar to that, mostly scotch bonnet flavor. if you like a mustard/habanero caribbean sauces their Calypso sauce is killer.

e: Marie Sharpe's should be similar too

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

RisqueBarber posted:

I'm doing a pork shoulder this Saturday and wanted to try a new BBQ sauce, something spicy preferable. Do you guys have any favorites?

my absolute favorite mustard based bbq sauce from a now closed bbq joint in my town. this recipe makes around a couple of biggish squirt bottles but i put it on everything and it keeps forever in the fridge. if you wanted it hotter throw a few serranos or habs in with the other veggies.

Old Yella BBQ Sauce

1 large onion, chopped

2 clove garlic, chopped

2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and roughly chopped

1 cup grainy mustard

2 cup yellow mustard

¾ cup corn syrup

½ cup molasses

1 tsp cayenne pepper

2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp pepper

1. Heat a small pan over low heat. Add onion, garlic, and jalapenos; cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are fork-tender.

2. Transfer contents to a food processor and purée until smooth.

3. Cool to room temperature, then whisk in grainy mustard, yellow mustard, corn syrup, molasses, 1 teaspoon of cayenne, Worcestershire sauce, remaining kosher salt, and pepper. Set sauce aside until plating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I found Nando's peri-peri sauce at my local supermarket and I kinda want to try duplicating that style of sauce because it was just that good, and the bottle was way too small. I put it on everything.

This recipe worked well for me, although i used fresh Thai chilis because i can't find birds eye chilis locally