Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

agarjogger posted:

Here's some GOT content for anyone running out of GOT chatter to shove down your greedy gullets.
If Game of Thrones Characters Were on The Wire, Who Would They Be?
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/05/30/game_of_thrones_and_the_wire_matching_the_characters_on_each_show_to_their.html

That article is really bad and stupid, and I feel bad and stupid for clicking on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Put the status of the original Mountain in the OP since people ask every week.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm still in shock, I'm so glad I wasn't spoiled for this. To the guy who was asking how is it possible for anyone to remain unspoiled- well I'm not unspoiled thanks to a couple of avatars here, but after Joffrey and the Red Wedding there's only a couple of upcoming events I'm still spoiled on. And one of those sounded so ridiculous and stupid that I'm not sure it was even a real spoiler.

It's not very difficult since none of my friends who watch the show have read the books. And this thread is the only place online I discuss Game of Thrones.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

The conspiracy aspect of the Red Wedding is quite believable; historically similar things happened in Rome in 408 when the Legions murdered all the Germans (and their families) from their ranks on the eve of a war with the Visigoths. In China as well something similar happened though I can't remember the details right now. And of course there's the Black Wedding in later European history that we GRRM has cited as an inspiration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_Glencoe is one event GRRM has cited as an inspiration. Still infamous in Scotland today, with the McDonald clan acting as the real life Starks and the Campbell clan acting as the Freys. Though in this case it was the guests massacring the hosts.

Shath Hole posted:

For sure, I did as well. They even kind of sound the same. If it was intentional or not, I don't know, but there was a Inigo Montoya feel to that scene for sure.

Catching up on the thread, about ten people have noted the similarity, with each asking if they are the only one.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

precision posted:

I really hope a bunch of zombies show up in the middle of the battle and kill everyone on both sides (except for Jon and Sam and Mance and maybe Ygritte)

Eh, gently caress Mance he can die too. For all the build up he had before his introduction, and being played by Caesar, he's done gently caress all interesting.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Reminder that Stannis sliced the top of a dude's skull off like it was nothing, the hound has bisected people at least twice. A little Roy Batty style head crushing is nothing really.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Now that Oberyn is dead and Bronn is retired I want a new cool fighter person to root for, someone who generates fight scenes. We are a bit low on them now. No, Jon Snow and Daario aren't cool.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

such and such is still alive in book 5, guess I don't need to worry about this part where said character is made to seem like they're about to die. pretty simple.

But the point is that such and such's storyline from book 5 is happening now on the show so they could easily die! I hate spoilers for this show, but saying character x is currently on book y is not a spoiler at all.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

a cop posted:

No one knows who that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13TXPdCVxds

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Haha seriously what in the gently caress. That girl has a strange relationship with her brother.

Their dad is notorious dickhead actor Keith Allen (you might remember him as the naked dead guy from Shallow Grave) so it's actually surprising they are both as nice and normal as they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I wanna say this in a way that isn't a spoiler, so say that maester guy theon killed in Winterfell was bent over the chopping block at the end of the episode, theon cocking back his sword. then say someone says "yeah this moment didn't even happen till the end of book 3 crazy." then say another person says or has said at one point in the thread "yeah he's still alive in book 5", 2 things that it in themselves aren't spoilers, but together they make it a spoiler that home dude doesn't get his head chopped off right now because he's clearly alive in book 5 and this event happened in book 3.

Your example makes no sense and doesn't sound applicable to what people were talking about. Saying "this character doesn't die yet" definitely is a spoiler.

Saying 'X storyline is on book 5, way ahead of Y storyline which is only on book 3' is under no sane definition a spoiler, and implies nothing about which characters survive. Characters from either storyline can die.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Keith Allen is ridiculously obscure. It's pretty funny that his kid is now a hundred times more famous than him for a single role.

He's certainly more famous for being a coke addled dickhead who hangs out at the groucho club than he is for any role he's done.

• Locked thread