Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Watched the episode last night. drat, that was pretty hard to watch. Not sure I understand the people saying it turned them off the show though, at this point if you don't expect this sort of thing then you must be watching a different show than me. It was over the top with the grimness but it's not like GoT hasn't always been. It was to a rough extent this episode though. Something that especially got me was Ramsey essentially receiving the best news of his life as a direct result of mutilating and torturing a man. Having watched all the horrific things that happened to Theon and then seeing Ramsey get rewarded was way worse to me than Oberyn's head getting popped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Aristobulus posted:

Eh...Ramsey didn't exactly get rewarded for torturing Theon, he got rewarded for recapturing the fort. Theon was just how he did it, true, but he probably would've got the same reward if he had found another way.

Remember that when he first shows off Theon, Roose is angry at him for flaying Theon because he ruined Theon's value as a hostage.

I still don't understand people LIKING Ramsey or anything, or being like "it was so moving watching him be praised by his father", though.

True, and I really liked that his father was originally pissed at him for what he did, although I understand that was a result of the loss of value as a hostage as you said and not out of some moral reasoning. I don't know, I just hate watching torture, I can't stand the Saw movies for the same reason. Brutal deaths aren't too bad because they're normally quick and you have the knowledge that it's all tv to lessen the impact. Watching Theon and Ramsey though is just disgusting to me, it makes me feel really dirty to watch.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Shath Hole posted:

Those scenes were very tough to watch, but I feel like they weren't over the top

He literally cut off his dick and ate it. I mean it's GoT so it's sort of the nature of the beast but not over the top?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Shath Hole posted:

He didn't eat it, he sent it to his father and sister :confused:

They didn't show it either, we just knew that Ramsey cut off his dick. If we are talking about this from a pure gore perspective, we have seen much, much worse from this show than Theon's physical torture imo.

Wait, really? This whole time I assumed that the sausage in the infamous gif was supposed to be Theon's dong.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah The Mountain seemed like he won that pretty "handily"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Skeesix posted:

How's this for an issue? The mountain is stabbed through the chest and is coughing up blood but he's quick enough to nab Oberyn immediately after getting knocked down? The guy who's been dancing around him all day while he was totally healthy? Oberyn can't roll away after getting knocked down and wag his finger sassily?

It's been said a million times before but Oberyn wasn't in the same mindset in that moment that he was during the fight. When The Mountain was on his feet Oberyn was at 100% but once he thought he'd already won he allowed himself to get emotional and lose focus. This is why The Mountain got the jump on him.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

Yeah it's probably a frequent thought, but I missed the other posts.
Here's another point that has been brought up before: Arya laughing maniacally at The Hound's inability to get rid of her. I'm not one of the posters who is on the verge of leaving and only watching for one thing or anything, but I do greatly appreciate moments of humor in this show. Between that and the great rabbit fire of episode 4 this season has been able to pull off some good jokes in dire circumstances.

I've gotten the impression that Arya and The Hound aren't going to continue though. Sure her aunt's dead but she still has a cousin, so she would still have worth, yeah?

Also I want to see a battle at The Bloody Gate. That poo poo has gravitas. It's come up enough that it'd be a shame not to use it in a cool way.

I mean her sister is right there too now but I'm sure they'll end up just missing one another because that's a trope that nobody seems to mind using ad naseum.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Kasonic posted:

Why would you do this?

It's ok, take comfort in the fact that if you're the kind of person who goes on random forums to spoil things for fans of a tv show you probably lead a pretty pathetic life. You may have read spoilers but he has to look himself in the mirror every morning.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Grim Up North posted:

Ah, I must have misunderstood then.

Yeah, I don't think he just wants to gently caress her, because he could have raped/coerced or probably even seduced her any time. He wants what he wanted in Cat, a woman he could love and who could be his equal. Sansa could be that.

Yeah I think Sansa understands that Littlefinger, like everyone else in a position of power in the show, is capable of doing terrible things if necessary. That's why he asks her if she thinks she knows him, and if I'm remembering correctly she doesn't really give an answer to that. She doesn't know him, not really, but she does know that she's in a position where he wants her around for multiple reasons. That's enough for her to at least know he isn't an immediate threat, to her life anyways, and she can actually start making some drat forward progress.

Regarding the show catching up with the books, GRRM has to be feeling pretty tense right now. At the rate that guy gets books out I can't see the books staying ahead without some serious filler in the show.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I think he's extending his number of books in the hopes that he'll kick the bucket before he finishes them and he never has to write a decent ending because how do you even make an ending to this series without either bumming everyone out or going against the established themes.

Death is much simpler.

Edit: Now that I think of it, GRRM dying and not finishing the series might just be the most perfect ending possible.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jun 4, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Even with Stannis the wall doesn't really have a chance of holding, right? The wildling army is pretty drat big.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

precision posted:

Also, punching his skull to a pulp would have looked way less stupid than what we got.

I didn't think it looked particularly stupid. I don't have any doubt that if a guy that big were in that position over me he could cave my skull in by squeezing hard enough.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Are we really arguing about the quality of the special effects of a man having his skull popped like a grape? It was horrifying mostly because of the context, not just because of the action and gore.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

That is how images on 2D surfaces work. And now a goon is amazed by this simple fact and is gushing praise about "the way it was shot! Aren't they super clever guys!!!"

Who gives a poo poo? You seem really mad about nothing.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I wonder if Shireen is aware that she briefly had a vagina demon as a half brother/sister/demon.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

She doesn't listen to Barristan because he hasn't killed anyone. Best swordsman my rear end.

So Barristan is basically the Raiden of GoT.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Bobo the Red posted:

Holy poo poo you guys are loving assholes. Stop talking about the books. Especially about when major events happen.

There's been literally nothing since this conversation started that could be considered a spoiler but I do agree it should stop because it would be all too easy for someone to let one slip.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Shath Hole posted:

I feel like Yara's claim to fame up to this point is getting finger banged by her brother :v:

I looked up Yara on google and found an article stating that they may have offered the part to Theon's real-life sister who is also an actress. But apparently after they told her what it would entail she appropriately responded with no gross what the gently caress is wrong with you.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Haha seriously what in the gently caress. That girl has a strange relationship with her brother.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I think it's possible they're waiting for the battle at the wall to conclude. poo poo's gonna get corpsey, which means they could scoop up Mance's ranks and add them to their own with basically no effort.

I mean, the handful of actual walkers could head down to Westeros at any time and start cracking heads, but they're going to need a proper army if they're going to do more than kick over peasant's mud huts for weeks at a time.

I mean they're basically immortal without dragon glass weapons, right? Which nobody makes anymore. So until the denizens of Westeros can get their collective poo poo together and start churning those things out the White Walkers get to do whatever they want. Although you do still need numbers to take down, say, a castle. Assuming they're even intelligent enough to do so. And wait they would need war machines to do that as well, or at least a battering ram or something....

Come to think of it why are we supposed to be afraid of these guys?

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 6, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah seems like if he was going to have Jon Snow meet a guy named Bob for breakfast and then look over to see him get disemboweled by a White Walker at lunch but now instead of Bob his name is Tom and some charity just got $10,000 that it's a pretty good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Accretionist posted:

I'm thinking the risen are heat intolerant and would begin rotting anywhere south of Darth Maul's Ice Hotel. It makes sense that in low-fantasy you wouldn't have rot-proofed zombies.

The actual White Walkers, though, seem to absorb energy from their environments, so I don't think they'd have that problem.

I wonder if GRRM read about the Heat Death of the Universe and decided to make a monster representing negative entropy or something. Maybe that's the grand concept, the Red god spits out energy into life because it wants to get everything that exists laid whereas Darth Maul's hoovering it all up for one that's like, "gently caress y'all," because it wants to live, literally, forever.

Oooh you just made me think of something, what if the White Walkers can actually cause areas around them to freeze when in large enough numbers? I can just imagine a final showdown at King's Landing, with the normal tropical climate replaced by freezing weather, Blackwater Bay frozen solid.

But I mean Winter Is Coming anyways so I don't think they'll have to worry about rotting.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 6, 2014

• Locked thread