Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Fuckin' A

Mother fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Vehementi posted:

But instead they picked the most retarded TV trope of all time "THE VILLAIN ISN'T DEAD, GET IT? HAHAHA!". That aspect of it ruined the episode for me.

That happens in real life. There was even a scandal a few years back because soldiers were taped shooting bodies.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Fenarisk posted:

It's getting past that fine line of not giving a poo poo or wanting to keep watching because any character you care about is killed off anyway.

Yeah, I'm almost more disappointed than entertained at this point. I couldn't get through season 1 of The Shield for very similar reasons (The Shield, a (corrupt) cop drama).

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
You guys complaining about The Mountain are ridiculous. Any war you could point to contains tons of stories of men with greater injuries performing greater physical feats than that.

Hell, I'm pretty sure I once read about an Indian who made a suicidal charge wherein a grenade blast tore half his face off and set him on fire, and he continued charging while on fire and with a skull face to successfully lob a grenade into an enemy bunker before finally getting shot somewhere that would stop him: his brain. Adrenaline's a hell of a drug.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

ridiculo posted:

Blowing someone's brains out by just squeezing their head, even if it's through the eye sockets, is just ridiculous and cartoony.

I imagine that's literally doable for someone his size. The actor himself weighs 400+ lbs. That much armor, if it were real, would probably be about a hundred pounds on top of that. You've literally got a quarter-ton of rear end in a top hat. An rear end in a top hat who's wearing gauntlets, meaning he isn't even limited to however much force would break the little bone tips his thumbs taper off into. There'd be nothing less than hundreds of pounds of force being exerted opposite the direction skulls evolved to withstand.

This is a gross digression but, if I recall correctly, and I say that because I was squinting and looking at the screen sideways while frowning pretty hard, it looked like Clegane mostly just drove his thumbs through the backs of Oberyn's orbital sockets and tore out laterally, compromising part of the braincase on one side.

But I was really just referring to the people incredulous a dude could fight after getting seriously stabbed.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Lycus posted:

Like I said earlier, if he had lived, it would've just led to complaints that Tyrion got out of this predicament they exact the same way he got out of the last won. Now that road is closed to him and his fate is up in the air.

A lot of people liked Oberyn. I doubt there'd have been half as much complaining just so long as the fight was good.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I am honestly shocked, and obviously some percentage of you people are lying, that anyone could not know what is coming up on this show. We're watching episodes based on a book which is over a decade old, and the sole reason the internet exists is to spoil and troll, so how did anyone not know the result of the fight?

Too minor for drive-by spoils and really, who's read all the wikis?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

IMB posted:

Hahaha, tell me how the final two books play out, you ridiculous baby

All major plotlines remain unresolved. GRRM will be quoted, "It was a series about the characters."

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

precision posted:

Sam won his fight with the zombie.

Why does that guy have plot armor thicker than Dany's skull?

Being given extremely low expectations is a lot like having the element of surprise.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Mr Beens posted:

Yeah stupid books, lets just change things because an actor is cool.

Literally yes. Why the hell not? If the show can be better than the books then why not?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Doltos posted:

So then why don't you understand it? The Mountain is a huge dude and there's stuff called adrenaline that keeps the body pumping when it should fall down. It's that inconceivable that the Mountain couldn't roll over and do one more big assault on Oberyn? Have you watched entertainment shows before?

Not to mention that Oberyn wanted The Mountain talking and pointing. He didn't exactly go for a kill shot.

I think Veh's just trolling with dumb criticisms.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

BubbleGoose posted:

What do folks see in Stannis? He's the most humorless, uncharismatic, dour individual, not mention his running mate is a pyrophilic, religious fanatic. I anticipate the day when Melissandre finally turns on him.

He seems to actually believe in institutions and servicing responsibilities as opposed to just using them to achieve personal goals like wealth, power and an unlimited supply of hookers to mutilate.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

precision posted:

Also, punching his skull to a pulp would have looked way less stupid than what we got.

That would've been less disturbing. Shoving your thumb through the back of someone's eye socket is legit A Way to Kill Someone (if you have strong thumbs) and with hands strong enough to hoist a half ton barbell,* Oberyn-ing someone's perfectly doable. I think that's part of why it was so unsettling for me.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Windfall posted:

The White Walker army that we saw at the Season 2 Finale is at least reaching Castle Black by now.

It'd be hilarious if the Wildling army gets ganked and converted right the hell there

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

They could have ganked the Wildling army anytime, though. The White Walkers are waiting for something. The only question is what?

I'm thinking the risen are heat intolerant and would begin rotting anywhere south of Darth Maul's Ice Hotel. It makes sense that in low-fantasy you wouldn't have rot-proofed zombies.

The actual White Walkers, though, seem to absorb energy from their environments, so I don't think they'd have that problem.

I wonder if GRRM read about the Heat Death of the Universe and decided to make a monster representing negative entropy or something. Maybe that's the grand concept, the Red god spits out energy into life because it wants to get everything that exists laid whereas Darth Maul's hoovering it all up for one that's like, "gently caress y'all," because it wants to live, literally, forever.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

A foreign usurper from Kinaya in the Summer Isles, Baricko B'a ma.

Whose true name is Baron So'thero, a secret worshipper and disciple of the darkness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

On Terra Firma posted:

It took me a good day and a half to stop hearing him screaming and seeing the mountains fingers in his eye sockets. gently caress.

It's rolled around the old noggin enough that I'm getting, "Wow, it's only been a week?" vibes about next episode.

• Locked thread