Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
But they didn't cast an 8 foot tall guy, his height is an important part of his character :qq:

They made it clear in the TV series that he's inhumanly strong, he swiped off a horse's head with one swing while in another episode showing Theon taking a zillion hacks to decapitate a human.

Also lifting up guys on his sword for fighting practice.

C'mon, it's abundantly clear in the show that he's a freak.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My favorite shot in the episode is that right after Oberyn Martell fells Clegane, Jamie is happy that Tyrion is going to live and he turns to the rest of the Royal Party to see that he is the only one smiling. And he enjoys how unhappy everyone else looks. It only holds for a few frames but I love how happy he is for that one brief moment.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Midnight City posted:

No, he didn't "swipe a horse's head off" actually, it made it about half way through, so stick to making lovely posts in the Hannibal thread instead of trying to flippantly make lovely posts in this one.

Oh that totally ruined his character that they show Gregor Clegane only cutting halfway through a horses's neck like a wimp. What a butchering of his character.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Midnight City posted:

Show the part where I said his character was mangled from anything to do with his physical acts in the show again. Oh, you can't, because you rushed to post some stupid flippant bullshit that you're known to do no matter how many custom titles or probations you get about it.

Alrght alright, I'll concede that you weren't talking about his physical prowess.

And to be honest I was a little annoyed with the actor changeups too.

But c'mon. Mangled? What insightful nuance about the inner workings of Gregor Clegane's character was mangled by casting changes?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Midnight City posted:

I could've phrased it better since I just said his character was mangled without the addendum it didn't have anything to do with what we were talking about, but dealing with just the physical stuff that people were saying looked cartoonish/silly (I'm not one of the people who said this, I just said it made more sense in the book) they could've included scenes/stories of him being supernaturally strong enough to fight in armor so big nobody else would've been able to move in it.

Basically they stripped away the supernaturally strong element of him (sure he's still a big strong guy) but then they kept the supernaturally strong type result in at the same time (headpopping / lifting off his back).
Like I said, they showed him cutting a horse's head half off and picking up guys with his sword. These things accomplish the same function in his characterization that having him wear a super-heavy suit of armor would've.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Woden posted:

I like your read on Cersei and Tyrion but the rest seem like a stretch.

Well, it might make more sense if you broaden up the interpretation some more. People around Tyrion do things that make no logical sense, and Tyrion wants to figure out why. Why does Cersei hate Tyrion so much? Why does Tywin act so ashamed of Tyrion? Why does Tywin do things that will hurt the family? The answers don't make sense to Tyrion and he wants to dig deeper and find answers that make sense, but maybe he never will find satisfactory answers.

And to broaden it up even more, maybe it's a thesis statement for the whole series. People doing things that don't benefit them, but it makes them feel good to smash things so they just keep on smashing. Danaerys might be shooting herself in the foot to get rid of Jorah. Oberyn wanted revenge against Tywin and the Mountain, and hosed up because he got cocky for a second.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jun 2, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If I had any complaint, it would be that they could've done more in this episode to play up Gregor's size and strength before the fight. Better camera angles to play up his size, having noisier armor, etc. When he makes his entrance it feels... slightly underwhelming. There are a few shots from bad angles and it makes him look like an ordinary 6 foot tall guy, like one where Pycelle is standing closer to the camera and therefore taller looking.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I'd have to go back and look but I want to say it was a Tyrion chapter. As far as I remember there were no Oberyn chapters.

That would be an odd chapter.

"The Mountain was saying something but Oberyn couldn't hear over the din of his own screaming"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I might be. He was the worst character on the lovely half of the Garfield Show, after all.

Wait. Which half wasn't lovely.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 2, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

BubbleGoose posted:

Doesn't the Lannister stronghold literally sit on a mountain of gold (okay, maybe just a big hill)? If the Mountain is the symbol of the Lannister's power, and he dies, it could symbolize the waning of their power. And the Lannister goldmines are tapped. That's just my thinking, anyway.
Maybe you've already considered this, but if you take this symbolism further, it's a sign that even when the Lannisters are in their death throes they're still extremely lethal.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Macrame_God posted:

And where's my Brienne and Rod? They're my favorites. :(

mcbexx posted:

They'll die next episode or the one after that, no worries.

Brienne dies, Pod dies, Stannis dies, Melissandre dies, Danaerys dies, Jorah dies, Tommen, Cersei, Tywin, Tyrion, Jamie, Jon, Ygritte, Bran, everyone dies.

Season 7 follows the adventures of the baby White Walker and Talisa's resurrected zombie baby

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Svanja posted:

If you are curious, there are also reactions to Tyrion's courtroom speech and Littlefinger's actions.

You're the best mom

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
nm

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 3, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Shwqa posted:

There is really only one thing I want to see for the season finale. And that is for Barristan to do some fighting. Motherfucker is the greatest knight to ever live and we don't see him fight once. Him dying before we get to see him fight would literally the most dispointing thing that GRRM has ever done.
Barristan just fights with his words

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Kasonic posted:

You have to give it to the Lord of Light, even with the shadow fetus demons, at least he actually exists.

I dunno, would you rather a god not exist and leave everyone alone, or exist and be a huge rear end in a top hat?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

BubbleGoose posted:

His face is far more menacing too. Can imagine the shot of his expression as he crushed Oberyn's head?

Welllll, it's a tradeoff.

Hafthor is 420 lbs and looks more massive. His downside is his babyface.

Conan is 320 lbs. On the plus side, his face is more scowly and surly, and on top of that he like he could be older than Rory McCann.

But, whatever. We got the scene, and even if it wasn't ideal I think it worked well enough.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

"What did I drink last night? I've got a splitting headache!"

Leave me alone, I need to gather my thoughts

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKZEk4NG1-o

:stare:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Here's a version that's easier to follow

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Max posted:

And at the pace that everything is going, the show will definitely spoil the books. But every book person I know doesn't care and/or is actually glad to see that happen.

I look forward to show watchers posting youtube videos of their book-reading friends' reactions to chapters where someone important dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

sforzacio posted:

GRRM doesn't end up killing him, just has all other characters constantly ask for proof of his birthright.

It's a miracle Baricko B'a ma wasn't already killed yet, come to think of it.

• Locked thread