Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hi.

We don't need a two-post, 5,000-word essay for every weekly thread that mentions every character that was on screen for thirty seconds and hasn't appeared for two-and-a-half seasons, while managing to say nothing informative about anything at all.

Post a wiki link. The end. Full episode guides. Full articles on everything, and that aren't a one-sentence joke that no one will get/care about/read. Slightly creepy wallpaper. All spoiler-free.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_Wiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

"Who's the Spanish guy, and why is he fighting this tall strong man? I don't understand what's going on, where are the Starks and Tyrone Lannister :confused: "

These people are for laughing at, since they don't know how to use a wiki in 2014/can't figure out a callback to a plot point that happened ten minutes/one episode ago. Also, the OP doesn't actually help with these questions. Otherwise you probably wouldn't get them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Oberyn had a major reach advantage and the Mountain was still tossing him around like a chew-toy.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Also, people are really forgetting the upside of this. The Lannisters were hosed going into this thing no matter what happened. Oberyn looked ready to start hurling spears when he was done with the Mountain.

Now that Oberyn is dead, relations with Dorne are ruined. It's not difficult to imagine Dorne declaring for Stannis and/or delivering Cersei Myrcella's head in a box.

If they execute Tyrion, Jaime will never leave the Kingsguard.

Enemies closing in from every direction even yet, and no way out.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Red Pyramid posted:

And Ramsay eating a suspicious looking sausage in front of Theon after castrating him. And Viserys getting crowned in molten gold. And Drogo pulling a guy's tongue through his throat. I don't really get the complaints about Oberyn's head popping being cartoonish - cartoonish violence is part and parcel of this show.

This is still roughly half as cartoonish as Spartacus.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If the Lannisters are hosed, then the Boltons are double-hosed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I kinda feel better now.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I didn't mind anything in this show other than that the Orson scene is contrived as hell. Blunt force symbolism to the head.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

You're just mad because they called him Orson.

I might be. He was the worst character on the lovely half of the Garfield Show, after all.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Every single week we have a bunch of book readers come in to tell us what happens next episode three minutes after the last one airs by pretending that they immediately noticed a minute plot detail (and weren't waiting for it). Sometimes they don't even bother with that much pretense. That's life in the GoT TV/IV thread.

That being said, it's not that anything major is getting spoiled, it's mostly just the :smug: of it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'm really bored by everything going on in Dany's storyline but this weird idea that a show about war-time royal intrigue should be overflowing with babyfaces is pretty funny.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

All things considered, he's lucky the Mountain didn't decide to attack him when he was doing his acrobatic twirls in the beginning.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

AwkwardKnob posted:

I thought Oberyn was going to hurl his spear up through Tywin, impaling him in the throne area, and then Jaime was going to have to like... I dunno, kill him AND Tyrion or something. It seemed GRRM-y to force Jaime to have to do something like that to his own brother they've been fleshing out the bond with lately. Don't read the books, was on the edge of my seat having 30 heart attacks per minute during most of the ending. Man.

I think Oberyn was fixing to do a spear hurl. Oh, what might have been.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Littlefinger is angling to rule the entire realm and maybe bone not-Caitlin, which is beginning to look like it's going to be his downfall. If Littlefinger tells you why he did something, pretty safe to assume he's lying.

Killing Joffrey (with the help of the Tyrells) throws the Lannisters into disarray and weakens their position through a domino effect. Absconding with Sansa also weakens their position and strengthens his, though the Starks are a total mess at this point. Once the Lannisters discover that Littlefinger has Sansa, they will know the game is afoot, but there is still little they can do about it, especially when Littlefinger mobilizes the houses loyal to Arryn. Littlefinger is also one of three people who would know that the Lannisters are broke. The Tyrells, who now possess all the power in that relationship, aren't going to go to war with Littlefinger over assassination intrigues before first dealing with Stannis, and good luck to them on that account.

Naturally Littlefinger expects Robin to die on his glorious journey of self-discovery, and I wouldn't be surprised if he arranged as much. Try to think of a safe place for Robin to travel right now.

That's about how far I can see this playing out right now.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

tonesville posted:

Ding Ding! Thugs is perfect.

Given that the ironborn religion holds raiding and pillaging as pious, it is probably best that they be exterminated.

Oh poo poo I think I'm a Lannister now.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

What is your stance re: paying your debts?

Do it with as much dramatic irony as possible!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SBJ posted:

GRRM doesn't seem like a sperg even though he may look like one. I think if the show deviates from the books he wouldn't mind too much as long as it was good. I personally don't want them to simply because I haven't read the books and I probably never will.

The ending of 'The Mist' movie was changed from the book and it was so good that Stephen King came out and outright said that it was better than his ending and he wished he had thought of it first.

The ending of the Mist movie was loving awful

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Theon torture stuff was and is pretty stupid, and is basically a hosed up coming of age story for Theon. If you think no one ever gets their comeuppance wrapped in a bow in this show, you point to that arc.

"An immature character who thinks with his dick and acts like an rear end in a top hat to everyone? Wait for it--he gets his dick cut off and becomes an emasculated, tormented babyman! It's like poetry, it rhymes."

Name Change fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 3, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/l6ke6

Everyone looks more or less the same in the show as in real life, except for Varys... he looks like two completely different people, weird.

I cannot reconcile Gwendoline Christine with heavy makeup on.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Those of you saying that Ironborn look like they play at royalty have it pretty accurately. They have the biggest chips on their shoulders out of any group in the seven kingdoms.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I kinda wanted Jorah to take Dany to task for being a hypocritical, vain blowhard who is not half as wise and just as she thinks, but Jorah's really not the character who's going to do that.

Sending Jorah away really seals it: Dany, who surrounds herself with people who have betrayed their liege lords for one justification or another, cannot reconcile with her most faithful and proven servant. She's become just as prideful as any of the characters we constantly see being brought low by their pride. Worse yet, she pretends at being virtuous. She's now surrounded by yes-men. Unlike the other storylines, it's more subtle and incredibllly drawn out, but there you have it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bobo the Red posted:

That's exactly why we keep telling people not to talk about the books. Some people can do it without spoiling, but someone who can't will join in, probably on accident, and spoil poo poo. Please, be cool. There are apparently 3 other threads you can talk book stuff in. In this thread, if you can't answer something based on show info (and the HBO companion materials, I guess), then the answer is "We don't know". If someone asks about the books, ignore them, PM them, or point them to another thread.

Honestly one of the reasons I'm reading the books (among many, such as "reading books is fun!") is so that this thread no longer poses a threat.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The whole Theon rescue mission sequence was really one of the most bizarrely low-rent things this show has done. Plot armor all over the place.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Like, how does that sequence even work?

She finds Theon in the dungeon. Ramsay appears, wearing literally nothing. Theon won't leave. Then, instead of attacking Ramsay, she sits there and hurf-durfs, even while Ramsay is just standing there unlocking the dog cages.

Cut straight away to her on getting into a canoe on the beach, with no Bolton men in sight. So they just agreed to let her go? What?

It was just bad all over the place.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vehementi posted:

The other crazy cut like that was in an earlier season when Dany's brodawgs go and try to infiltrate that city. They kill a guard, and then OMG 6 guards come and they just BARELY kill those 6 guards, luckily dodging attacks & saving each other's asses & relying on enemies missing & tripping over poo poo randomly. Then 50 guards enter the room. Cut to ... Dany owns the city.

The lack of budget to create a vibrant high fantasy world over on Dany's side of the water is really hurting that storyline, too. It's been reduced to an endless series of characters telling, rather than showing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SoFarGone posted:

Yes it was a really bad scene. But I think maybe Ramsay let Yara go because killing/enslaving both Greyjoy heirs might provoke all out war with Balon and he was afraid of how Roose might react to that. He'd already taken enough of that risk just loving with Theon.

Roose Bolton is Warden of the North, meaning that the Ironborn are at war with them. Hence the business at Moat Cailin (a strategically important fortress without which Roose cannot control the North).

• Locked thread