Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I have something to get off my chest. I've been carrying it around with me since the dark days of the second grognards.txt thread. Now, with one of the particulars absent and the other bearing the red text of shame...

quote:

To whom it may concern,

As a party in the case you submitted to the SomethingAwful dot c-o-m department, having laughed, chuckled, and, admittedly, guffawed at the description of the works of E. Stoop that incorporated the phrase "f*nfiction", I must question under which grounds you expect possible legal repercussions to come from. Considering the popularity of such works as 50 Shades of Grey, Sherlock Holmes Fucks The Author, the collected works of Cassandra Claire, and Light in August, let alone the continued existence of Naomi Novik, there don't seem to be any notable repercussions for selling f*nfiction, apart from the slings and arrows of derision and/or literary fame. To say the least, legal insulation from those two seems rather out of keeping with any human jurisprudence. Are you, perhaps, an extraterrestrial entity, operating a blog and misunderstanding the points of difference between Earthling law and Parvatomatisian law? In that case, I would be willing to assist in understanding the finer details. For hire, of course.

Yours,
Bill Ashbless, MMy

quote:

Dear S- G-,

Thank you for your swift response. Unfortunately, it is not satisfactory. We understand that you do not perhaps comprehend the matter completely so we will try to provide a more detailed description regarding the issue.

1. "Gau" has shared E. Stoops's private, personal information with the SA forum. Your rules specifically prohibit this with the following statement "Please do not post others' personal information (phone number, addresses, emails, etc.)." As E. Stoops' gender is deliberately kept private, this falls into the 'etc' category provided. This information is not available to anyone in the commercial sphere deliberately. However, Gau chose to share this information as he knows E. Stoops in real life. According to your own rules, this is a breech in appropriate conduct for SA members. We would like all references to E. Stoops gender to be removed.

2. Naomi Novik, Cassandra Claire, and the other examples you have cited are aberrations in the world of publishing. While it is obvious to any and all that 'dressed up fanfiction' has become a real moneymaker, most everyone accepts that in each of the examples you've provided, original content was dreamed up by the author and included to give at least the veneer of original fiction. That is, they are not selling characters under copyright in new adventures. They are selling expies. Which while essentially the same thing, legally it more or less automatically makes something NOT fanfiction, regardless of its roots. We are selling neither fanfiction nor expies Having work described as fanfiction creates a host of potential problems:

a. Anyone with a similar book could hit us with a law suit. They could bring up Gau's review as evidence that the work was recognized as fanfiction at this time. (This statement can build precedence.)
b. Any similarities with another work that appear later in the series could ALSO become cases that use Gau's words as evidence that the series deliberately aped other authors for monetary gain.
c. It brings all books under the umbrella of Small Tomaotes Press under suspicion, which means that anything else we publish by E. Stoops or anyone else that bears incidental similarity with another work could also be contested in a lawsuit citing Gau's statement.

Is this thin? Is this unlikely? Yes, right now it very much is. We accept that. However, we have to consider our future and in the future, it could suddenly become a big deal, especially in sue-happy America. We mean to be reasonable. We are not asking that Gau's assumptions regarding the author of blog posts be taken down, we are not asking that his remarks towards our blog be removed. The summary of the book, which is patently wrong, may also stay. We are simply asking that all references to the gender of our author and the word fanfiction be removed.

Thank you,

Small Tomatoes Press

To a dog, its mouth is just a handy-dandy low-tech sonic screwdriver attached to its face.

quote:

To the entity referred to as Small Tomatoes Press by Blogspot,

Well, I checked on this "Gau" character, and I discovered him in an SNES cartridge, but no matter how many questions I asked him using improvised Morse code, he just repeated the same things! I'm afraid that corroborating your accusations will require some more time, sir, madam, or elf. Since you obviously have some form of contact with him, have you considered trying for an out-of-court settlement? That may cause him to let something slip.

I would prefer it if you would use fewer obscenities in your responses. While I am a hardened person of the world and quite familiar with such words as "pr*vacy", "in*ppropri*te", and "f*nfiction", this is nevertheless a delicate machine and your initial email caused it to make distressing sighs and print out warnings that it was getting the vapors. Suffice it to say, to catch the motherfuckin' SOB will take a working Psylink Terminal (c).

However, I do have to warn you that it may take a matter of years to get such things as references to f*nfiction removed. Feral tribes of robots haunt the hallways leading to the servers, large parts of the software are run using surplus MULTIVAC and Difference Engines, and there are persistent warnings of the necessity of blood sacrifice to activate certain sections of the database. It's a huge mess, really.

That all being said, the use of "expy" may harm your case. There is a ruling pending before the 20th Circuit Court that would render the use of "tr*perisms" viable evidence to negate torts or even throw out criminal charges. I would sincerely recommend restricting your usage of such terms, unless you were using the colloquial abbreviation for "expressway", in which case I am very confused to learn that apparently William Faulkner sold roads to people.

Furthermore, and relating to my continued efforts at interrogating "Gau", in order to make these things stick and send him to Sing Sing for 20 to life, we're gonna need to prove credibility. Do you have any examples from your and/or E. Stoops' interactions with "Gau" to give reason for the court to believe him to be a credible authority on matters such as f*nfiction? Because if not, I'm afraid that you're going to have to make use of the "Public Domain" defense, or potentially even the "Third Punic War" defense. Might I suggest the "Journal of Submarine Commander von Forstner", as it bears sufficient resemblance (e.g. in the categories of submarines, bishonen, oral sex, magical powers, and the First World War) to your work(s) as to render it(them)[em]{eir} legally unassailable.

Also, given the apparent vulnerability of books to charges of f*nfiction, such that a man writing an obviously-inaccurate review can nevertheless threaten the entire credibility of your burgeoning publishing empire, have you given though to starting a campaign to tighten legal defenses and avoid future tragedies like this? I think that, for the sake of not only you, but all other authors writing y*oi sci-fi stories, it should be carried out.

Regards,
Scott Crane, III

Currently playing: A D&D 4e game, playing a bard. Ended up taking down a monster 8 levels higher nearly singlehandedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ok, You gotta post a bit more context than that.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Error 404 posted:

Ok, You gotta post a bit more context than that.

Ask Gau, but basically Gau posted a thing that made fun of someone for publishing their yaoi submarine fanfiction and she wrote an email to Lowtax, which he posted in the thread, which inspired me (along with alcohol) to send off an email.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Currently playing in the previously mentioned "you play as RPG nerds who suddenly become their characters" Pathfinder game. My character is a dwarven drunken master monk created by the group's rear end in a top hat munchkin as a "joke character" intended to be killed off quickly and replaced by a proper batman wizard. Now he's stuck as him.

When I get back to running a game it'll probably be some high powered PDQ game, either super-heroes, Scion, or Exalted.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Currently in a grip of PBPs and eyeing my future nervously, as in a few months my job will no longer exist and I'll be moving back across the world into joblessness.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Ettin posted:

I feel like asking questions this time, so let's ask some questions. What are you guys running, reading and planning to run? Or playing if you're not a GM. :buddy:

I'm running a single player Dungeon World game for a friend over steamchat, so far she's killed goblins, got captured by goblins, rescued some people from the goblins and killed ever more goblins, hunted some bandits, got robbed by the bandits, broke into their base and kill the leader, then accidentally smashed the holy symbols on an altar in their abandoned temple/fort opening a portal to one of the hell dimensions and ran away.

This is the first time in ages that I'm not playing in anything though :negative:

I re-read Foundation over the weekend, since its been ages, and I've been relistening to a bunch of Discworld audiobooks while I work.

(also the OP links to May's thread but says its linking to April's :spergin:)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Effectronica posted:

publishing their yaoi submarine fanfiction and she wrote an email to Lowtax

Aaaaand there we go!

Thanks.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Rereading Devil in the White City about HH Holmes and the Columbian World Exposition of 1893.

Playing in a Cinematic Unisystem game involving WWII in the Pacific and aliens. Running Arcana Evolved. Both games using Roll20 and Skype.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Effectronica posted:

I have something to get off my chest. I've been carrying it around with me since the dark days of the second grognards.txt thread. Now, with one of the particulars absent and the other bearing the red text of shame...

I later received several angry emails from this woman stating that I had offended her religious views by stating that dogs aren't sentient and it should be perfectly legal to own them. She's also known for saying that sexual harassment is a legitimate metagame tactic in Magic and Wizards has overstepped their bounds by limiting the game in some sort of nerdy affirmative action argument.

Lots of people in this hobby are crazy, she's legitimately an untreated schizophrenic.

I'm working on a FATE-based single-player The Quiet Year set in a semi-mythological Pacific Islands after expulsion from Hawai'i, designed specifically for Play by Post. My friends and I play pick-up games about once a month, we've been trying out different systems (Monsterhearts, Apocalypse World, FATE Core) and having a blast with it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Playing: haha haha hahahahahaha
Running: A Fate Accelerated game, kind of?
Reading: The Strain trilogy, I'm only on the first book but it's pretty freaky and now I'm looking forward to the TV adaption.

I might start a new game on roll20 sometime this month, and my real life group when it comes back from scheduling induced hiatus is going to try Numenara or however it's spelled.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Reading: Just today finished This Book is Full of Spiders and started on House of Leaves

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Playing in a few games here, Ms Frost's, HIREUS, and Wonderland Redux. Others have sadly faded out due to RL interventions.
Still playing the lovely 3.5 game that I've carped about before, though I skipped last week's session, telling the GM's wife that my characters weren't equipped to be effective against an army of Diablo 2's secret cows with double-digit DR, and I wasn't prepared to waste hours of my life on an encounter that could only be sloggier if the foes regenerated every round. I'll probably quit before Summer; we're getting perilously close to epic level crap, and the DM's basically already building our characters for us. I'll definitely air my concerns before that happens. More than likely end up just showing up to socialize, since I'd see them maybe once or twice a year otherwise.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Ettin posted:

What are you guys running, reading and planning to run? Or playing if you're not a GM. :buddy:

Shin Megami Tensei 4, instead of watching a liquor store.

In my defense, saturday nights/sundays period are SUPREMELY dead shifts. We get like a customer an hour. Also, the 3DS browser is horseshit.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Been running a mix between Dungeon World and rules for a book I'm working up-- capes-style magic in a classical Mediterranean setting. As for reading, mostly just catching up on Joe Abercrombie's stuff lately.

I haven't actually played in a game in like a year and that seems unlikely to change anytime soon.

My playtest group for GamerXP's probably gonna fire up Atomic Robo in a week or so, though-- looking for a June full-play review and it seems like a good candidate.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

ohhh i think i heard it before... I guess?

Yes. If you know what Touhou is, and you do the RPG thing, then I suspect you probably have.

Playing: Just Winson's Mouse Guard game. Waiting for someone not me to post, since I posted last.

Want-to-be-Playing: I kind of have a Star Wars craving again, and I'm eager to experience the whole new system and such; but the FFG SW community around here seems curiously insular and after getting harshly shot down the once, I've been wary of re-applying again to other games that have occasionally shown up.

Want to run: As soon as I define all the random courses one can take, and then make the pretty-looking cards to go with it, I want to test a short pbp Final Fantasy-like game.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Grad school has pretty well sapped me of my free time, but now that it's summer I'm coming back to my old Basic D&D game. I actually did a decent amount of RPing during the semester, too, though, since I actually took a 2-credit survey of indie RPGs class, which finally hooked me up with a group to try out Dog Eat Dog, Monsterhearts, My Life With Master, and so on.

I'm not sure if I'm going to be running much of anything over the summer. It's always real hard to get a group together over vacations, but there has been some interest in continuing the Monsterhearts campaign we played one session of for class. I'm also back to tooling around with my random dungeon generator thing, and am trying to get it into a state where I can playtest it by running a Basic session using what it pumps out.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
What's the thoughts on a June contest? I love reading them, even if I always fail to produce.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
At the moment I'm playing a weekly nMage game that's been going on for a couple of years now, where we've all got hundreds of XP and everything is insane, and in an MHR Civil War game over in TGR. I'm running another MHR game - Annihilation - over in TGR as well, I've got a one-shot FAE game coming up where the players are demigods in a mythic world, and I run a monthly Mummy: the Curse game which I'm writing up over on RPGnet if you feel like seeing my players drop meteors on my carefully-prepared plotlines.

(In fairness, that only happened once.)

I'm reading my way through the Night's Black Agents bundle I picked up from Drivethru a few days ago and wishing desperately I had the time to run that as well.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Gau posted:

I later received several angry emails from this woman stating that I had offended her religious views by stating that dogs aren't sentient and it should be perfectly legal to own them. She's also known for saying that sexual harassment is a legitimate metagame tactic in Magic and Wizards has overstepped their bounds by limiting the game in some sort of nerdy affirmative action argument.

Wait, what?

I hate to ask but this rabbit hole of crazy sounds to fuckin' weird to go unsaid

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Playing in NTech, Mouse Guard, running TBZ, reading the Ryuutama pre-release and the Double Cross advanced book now that it's out in PDF.

I did not intend to become a living anime, but here we are none the less.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Shin Megami Tensei 4, instead of watching a liquor store.

In my defense, saturday nights/sundays period are SUPREMELY dead shifts. We get like a customer an hour. Also, the 3DS browser is horseshit.

Man, that takes me back. Does your store do that supremely depressing thing of opening at eight in the morning to service the terminal winos and then keeping all deliveries until noon, so that the manager can yell at you for not doing enough even though you've faced the entire store twice that day?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Running 4e still kinda sorta. Weekly game that's been put off of late for real life, but 6 months of DMing has me burned out and I'm keen for someone else to step up, or to play something else.

Playing lots of board games.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Playing D&D Next and a Spacemaster game set in the Mass Effect universe.

Running 13th Age and Pathfinder.

Reading The Towpath, a history of the Erie Canal.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Ettin posted:

I feel like asking questions this time, so let's ask some questions. What are you guys running, reading and planning to run? Or playing if you're not a GM. :buddy:
I finally have a playtest campaign of Magical Burst going (for which I need to stop messing around on the internet and do some prep), and doing refinements as I go to get ready to do a public release of the new version.

I'm hoping we'll also be able to try out my friend's shounen fighty RPG thing, but he has to get his poo poo together and make a playable draft first. Also I really want to finally try out Last Stand one of these days.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Running: Just finished a longish arc of Star Wars: Edge of the Empire over Roll20. Going to try something else as a break -- Torchbearer? Fate of the Norns? Golden Sky Stories? Too many unplayed KS games, really want to do at least one, but it's always a pain to teach new systems.

Playing: D&D 4e, modified/updated Scales of War, with Popcorn Initiative, Odd Feats at Odd Levels, and everyone getting one free ritual per day.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

grassy gnoll posted:

Playing in NTech, Mouse Guard, running TBZ, reading the Ryuutama pre-release and the Double Cross advanced book now that it's out in PDF.

I did not intend to become a living anime, but here we are none the less.

Man, that takes me back. Does your store do that supremely depressing thing of opening at eight in the morning to service the terminal winos and then keeping all deliveries until noon, so that the manager can yell at you for not doing enough even though you've faced the entire store twice that day?

Wait what!?! Double Cross pdfs???

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Wait what!?! Double Cross pdfs???

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/128931/Double-Cross-Roleplaying-Game-Core-Rulebook
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/128932/Double-Cross-Roleplaying-Game-Supplement--Advanced-Rulebook

The really tragic part is that you missed the Memorial Day sale.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Currently playing a really fun Hunter game set in a small Utah town just outside Salt Lake City where we're basically suburbia neighborhood watch except we murder ghosts and vampires instead of hassle minorities that drive by.

I just finished up running a Dungeon World game, not sure what to do next.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I'm currently playing in an E8 3.5 D&D Ravenloft game, but we hardly ever meet because the players and DM are all super flaky and since there's only 3 of us one person missing is kind of a problem. I'm also trying to get an L5R game started but everyone willing to run it seems to vanish into the aether. :(

I'm not running anything right now because my brain is a creative desert at the moment.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I just started a 13th Age game set in the Meiji Restoration where one of the player characters is a resurrected Joseph Smith.

I'm also taking a break from a Dungeon World game to run a short FATE Venture City adventure.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-gently caress!!!!!!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I really should get into JoJo. Currently playing 13th Age, 4e, and FATE PBPs, plus an intermittent IRL 13A game.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Playing: Oh boy, kind of trying to decide what to run for my IRL group online now that we've been spread across the world. Trying out Exalted/Storium
Reading: Exalted/New Shadowrun/A smattering of other stuff to serve the above
Running: Storium Shadowrun

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Running/Playing: 13 Ages, a series of 13 one- or two-shots with rotating GMs each using different systems as we build each of the Ages for a future 13th Age game. We've had Sorcerer, Agon and Numenera. Currently in Basic D&D. I'm up next with Rolemaster.

Running: Burning Wheel set in 1261 in the Ilkhanate of Persia, eventually to make it to the recently restored Constantinople.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

grassy gnoll posted:

Even crazier: we're open 24 hours despite being legally unable to sell alcohol for 4 of those on graveyard shift (2-6AM).

Actual tasks we have to do to justify being open 24 hours: "Mop the parking lot". "Dust all wines." "Check the expiration dates on all candies in the store."

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I'm made craving some Cortex Plus Heroics, and since I missed the big rash of Marvel games, I'm thinking about running a casual pbp set in the Nintendo universe. I'm just worried it'll come across as too fanficy.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Actual tasks we have to do to justify being open 24 hours: "Mop the parking lot".
I cannot stop laughing at this. Like, I can understand sweeping the parking lot because people are lovely and treat them like giant garbage cans, but mopping it? That's what rain is for.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Actual tasks we have to do to justify being open 24 hours: "Mop the parking lot". "Dust all wines." "Check the expiration dates on all candies in the store."

To be fair, if any establishment would need to mop the parking lot it would be a 24 hour liquor store.

Edit: Oh, right.

Designing: An intro module for There's Always A Chance.
Playing: Fiasco, Microscope
Running: I have to have a chat with my players, but it looks like it might be a Rules Compendium (Basic) sandbox.
Or if I can convince all the players to actually show up enough, Apocalypse World with a different cleric than Operator.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 1, 2014

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Playing: 4E, Pathfinder, Exalted, Double Cross and Fate.
Running: Star Wars EoTE with some college people.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Running: 4E

Playing (!): Lasers and Feelings

I can't believe I'm going to get to play. It's been literally ten years since I last got to play in an RPG instead of DMing it. Desperately need to come up with a good Mass Effect character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Running: GURPS Infinite Worlds: Lost Highway; Will be assistant GM in MohawkSatan's GURPS Monster Hunters game.

Playing: Sion's [GURPS] Outcast Angels at the End of Days; Doctor Idle's 3:16, Carnage Amongst the Stars: Cosmic Meat Grinder and [Homebrew] The Trouble in Bryson Springs; Foo's :black101: [Apocalypse World] The Island; Gaist's [GURPS] Blackbird Dreaming.

Planning: Several things are always being planned by me. Right now the most likely candidate for me to run is a (not) sequel to my Warehouse (but not that Warehouse) game.

And I have my weekly gaming game which is Hunters Hunted. So far in that game my fake bum has thrown a few people into a wood chipper, became an adherent to a religion that requires human sacrifices, participated in the theft of valuable antiquities in Israel, participated in dropping a small yield nuclear weapon on the house of our supposed enemies (in his home town no less), and then went to Africa to engage in piracy off the coast of Somalia. Along the way he and the rest of the group managed to piss off quite a few people (including one or two groups of mages). In his defense he did save a girl from being killed once.

• Locked thread