Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Captain Walker posted:

I really should get into JoJo. Currently playing 13th Age, 4e, and FATE PBPs, plus an intermittent IRL 13A game.
Every RPG character should aspire to be like Joseph Joestar.
http://youtu.be/1aB-LZfxCZs

I'm playing BECMI, want to run Astonishing Sorcerers and Swordsmen of Hyperboria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

June reminder that Apocalypse World owns

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib
Playing: AD&D 2e, Edge of the Empire.
Running/Planning: Not running anything. I've got some notes for a Numenera one-off set to go in case our actual DM has a case of temporary burnout. I've got a Night's Black Agents campaign in a decent condition, just without anybody to run it with (my regular group meets every other weekend two hours away and has nine people in it, which is four too many for an NBA game).
Reading: Eros and Magic in the Renaissance, Ioan Culianu; Realms of Memory, vol. 2, ed. Pierre Nora; Der Baader-Meinhof Komplex, Stefan Aust.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Playing: Edge of the Empire. Reign and Unknown Armies soon as well.
Running: Starting a 1930s San Francisco AFMBE campaign taking stuff like The Goon and Big Trouble in Little China for inspiration, and having a major villain be an undead Al Capone.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Playing: 13th Age with a few SA goons on roll20, Numenera PBP, D&D 5e PBP
Running: Nothing at the moment, but interested in starting a game with Atomic Robo RPG
Reading: World Mythology, Guides on programming in Ruby
Writing: The Justice Friends (Apocalypse World Superhero Hack), Card Game based on Triple Triad, 1 Page Trollbabe Hack

This might be an odd question, but does anyone know a good Cthulhu game/setting that does something different? Like maybe on where mankind is a space faring race or one where the government is aware of Cthulhu-like beings and fights them secretly?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Playing: D&D 4e, some Vampire, and Numenera.
Running: Demon: the Descent, Numenera, and Dungeon World.

Really thinking of running a horror game. What systems are good for spooky poo poo?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Covok posted:

or one where the government is aware of Cthulhu-like beings and fights them secretly?

Have you played Delta Green?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I've heard the name before, but never looked into it. What I'm looking for?

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Hipster Occultist posted:

Wait, what?

I hate to ask but this rabbit hole of crazy sounds to fuckin' weird to go unsaid

The "logic" runs like this: women who wear low-cut shirts and flirt are able to distract men playing Magic and cause them to lose when they otherwise shouldn't. Men aren't able to do this because women don't respond to that sort of thing, so they should be able to use sexual jokes and come-ons to put women off their game in the same manner. Wizards of the Coast, by banning sexual harassment at tournaments but not banning revealing clothing or flirting, is unfairly giving women an advantage. Also, women are already intruding because Magic is a predominantly men's activity and they should have safe spaces, too!

Yeah, I don't know either. I wish I could find the :words:, she wrote a loving novel about it. She's basically the token woman for a bunch of awful MTG fans who think that women should have their own events and leave their treehouse alone.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I have been invited to play in a one shot classic TMNT game where every character is rolled up randomly. This should be entertaining.
I'll probably be running some more Spirit of 77 games this month.

...and as an added bonus, I get to play the find a new apartment game!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Captain Foo posted:

Three books that are pretty much Apocalypse World personified: Tim Powers's Dinner at Deviant's Palace, The Skies Discrowned, and An Epitaph in Rust.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Tim Powers is basically the Writer In Residence for Apoc World, Unknown Armies, and 7th Sea. Dude's ridiculously good.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Ettin posted:

What are you guys running, reading and planning to run? Or playing if you're not a GM. :buddy:

I run a magical girl game that just wrapped up a plot arc where a bunch of magical girls (the PCs) recruit magical girl friends to stop the leader of a radical group of magical girls from sacrificing the souls of barely sapient newborn gods to the soul of Earth so she can get help from the soul of Earth to write a law of reality into the world using her ability as a magical omniglot to speak a dead language used by ancient divinities that can do the whole writing a law into reality stuff. And now I feel like an enormous knob for writing all that out. :v:

Also I'm planning to run a Double Cross game set in the Disgaea universe, replacing Encroachment with "ability to tolerate your Overlord," where the PCs all obviousl work for some kind of Overlord. But I have no idea what to rename it into so it's not long and unwieldy. It's that or Fantasy Craft of some kind, or Monsterhearts of some kind.

As for playing games, the one game I do enjoy is a black tenchcoat cyberpunk game (in Fate). Arguably leans harder to post-cyberpunk. The others are a Pathfinder game, a Unisystem game (lol magical girls), and another Pathfinder game.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Captain Foo posted:

Oh thank god, I almost forgot.

Playing: Shadowrun 4th ed and lot of Battlecon.
Planning: A friend and I are doing a game jam where we write an rpg with character gen based on the Myers Briggs personality test, with what I'm sure will be amazing results.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
My group was about to start a new project called "Feats Don't Fail me Now!" but we're worried about the Steppin fetchit connection. New candidates are Six Feats Under, The Dice Age, Cool as Dice, Role Call, and some that are even worse. Any good ideas?

E: CRITICAL MASS

quote:

[11:04:18 PM] [A]: black-eyed feats
[11:04:35 PM] [B]: black-died feats
[11:04:36 PM] [A]: reach skrill-tricks
[11:05:13 PM] [B]: skrill-tricks, drop the feats

General Ironicus fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 2, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
The thrill of victory, the agony of deez feats.

e: Of the ones provided I like Six Feats Under.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Science Fiction Double Feat-ure.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

PublicOpinion posted:

The thrill of victory, the agony of deez feats.

e: Of the ones provided I like Six Feats Under.

Swear to god someone threw out Tabletopless and Do Reach Tricks Dream of Electric Feats.

ikks
Sep 6, 2009

You can get anything you want at malice's restaurant
RichieRich 6dReach Trix Chunder

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

General Ironicus posted:

My group was about to start a new project called "Feats Don't Fail me Now!" but we're worried about the Steppin fetchit connection. New candidates are Six Feats Under, The Dice Age, Cool as Dice, Role Call, and some that are even worse. Any good ideas?

E: CRITICAL MASS

DeadDie Five

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Playing: YES! ACTUALLY PLAYING! a guy's 4e game that seems to be a weird twisting of an adventure to his own purpose. Having fun with it, but I am kind of becoming "that guy" since I know all the loving rules, having run the system for >5 years, and they're kinda new. So I'm trying to keep the :spergin: to a minimum.

Also, we've had two sessions in 4 months, which sucked.

I also played in a Pathfinder session as a goblin boar-rider, and Pathfinder ended up being far, far worse than I had imagined, and that concept wasn't nearly as awesome as it goddamn well should have been. So it's really likely I'll be skipping those.

Running: The 4e ZEITGEIST adventure path, which is kind of like 4e + guns + steampunk mecha + all kinds of other awesome stuff in a really well-made package. We just finished with Adventure 2, and everyone's gung-ho to keep going.

Oh, and this coming Wednesday we're playtesting FENG SHUI MOTHERFUCKING SECOND EDITION. I am so pumped I want to bicycle kick a cyborg gorilla. :dance: I hope the improvements are as awesome as they look to be.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Gau posted:

Yeah, I don't know either. I wish I could find the :words:, she wrote a loving novel about it. She's basically the token woman for a bunch of awful MTG fans who think that women should have their own events and leave their treehouse alone.
I had a class a few years back with a gay dude in his 50s who would get instantly angry at anyone who argued for gay marriage because he was furious that anyone could think gay people had "earned" marriage. Thank goodness there are people willing to defend viewpoints that consider them to be inferior! :(

Thank you for posting that, though, because I just learned that the concept of people who think women should not be allowed in card game tournaments exist.

Unrelated has there been any large-scale Goon playtesting of D&D Next yet? I looked once but I could not even find a thread on the system in this subforum but I am sure I just failed in my search.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Depends on what you mean by "large scale." There aren't any organized efforts or anything (that I'm aware of) but there've been fairly regular PbPs running in the Game Room for a while now. Ritorix is running a couple right now, I think Ryuujin's run some, maybe some others somewhere in there.

Also Winson exiled the D&D Next thread to DDRD, so that's where that went.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Pretty sure an SA playtest by Mikan et al caused Wizards to put a moratorium on online playtesting for a while.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The one where they discovered that the playtest module at the time expected you to roll attacks with advantage for something like 21 individual rats, yeah. If it wasn't that then the timing on it was sure coincidental.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Pretty sure an SA playtest by Mikan et al caused Wizards to put a moratorium on online playtesting for a while.

You could playtest online, you just couldn't share the logs or talk about it with anyone. Or.. uh, or else.

Kai Tave posted:

The one where they discovered that the playtest module at the time expected you to roll attacks with advantage for something like 21 individual rats, yeah. If it wasn't that then the timing on it was sure coincidental.

It was, and that poo poo was hilarious.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Every RPG character should aspire to be like Joseph Joestar.
http://youtu.be/1aB-LZfxCZs

The funny thing is, the Create an Advantage action in FATE is basically 99% of JoJo fights. You could run an amazing FAE JoJo game.

...I might just have to do that.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The funny thing is, the Create an Advantage action in FATE is basically 99% of JoJo fights. You could run an amazing FAE JoJo game.

...I might just have to do that.

I think someone did once, actually.

Playing: Way too many PBPs including 4e, FAE, Pathfinder; Pathfinder on roll20 and EotE on Saturdays, 4e on Sundays.

Running: Starting a 4e game on roll20 tomorrow, two 4e PBP games that are nebulously dead but that I don't want to be dead.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yep. I still haven't seen one single reason to play a fighter in Next since that session.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Running: Mecha via Fate Core.
Playing: Also Fate Core.
Reading: Atomic Robo (Fate Core).

I'm nothing if not predictable, I guess.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

SunAndSpring posted:

Playing: D&D 4e, some Vampire, and Numenera.
Running: Demon: the Descent, Numenera, and Dungeon World.

Really thinking of running a horror game. What systems are good for spooky poo poo?

Gumshoe has Fear Itself, Esoterrorists, and Trail of Cthulhu.

Covok posted:

This might be an odd question, but does anyone know a good Cthulhu game/setting that does something different? Like maybe on where mankind is a space faring race or one where the government is aware of Cthulhu-like beings and fights them secretly?

Esoterrorists, unless you want something space faring.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Playing: FATE Precure (magical girl) game and Chuubo's Marvelous Wishing Engine game.
Planning to Run: a few one-shots of stuff like Costume Fairy Adventures, Golden Sky Stories, etc.
Really need to finish working on: magical girl Powered by the Apocalypse game.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

SunAndSpring posted:

What sort of horror are you looking for? As a FATE fan (:cheeky:) I am obligated to suggest No Exit from FATE Worlds 2 if you want something more oppressive than frightening. Summerland is also an option, so I hear.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Fate is bad at horror unless you're rolling with a pulpy kind of horror or something that can deal with Fate's player empowerment. If you're not, you probably want another system.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Ettin posted:

Fate is bad at horror unless you're rolling with a pulpy kind of horror or something that can deal with Fate's player empowerment. If you're not, you probably want another system.

That's why I suggested No Exit, but fair enough. I guess you could always reflavor Double Cross into something more horrifying than it already starts?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
No mention of World of Darkness for horror just seems weird to me.

Also, I'm playing in Wahad's 4e PBP and Korlac's Pathfinder PBP (and Hashtags' 4e game tonight!) And I'm running two Pathfinder roll20 games, a Pathfinder PBP game, and a 4e PBP game. And as always I have a million and one things I want to run, but no time.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

wod is only horror if you play as a normal human being or something otherwise you are a monster doing crazy poo poo like backflipping while dual-wielding deagles or slashing up a buncha ninjas with your katanas as you are in werewolf form or whatever

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If you aren't playing WoD games as supernatural saint's row or GTA, you are doing it wrong.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

WoD must have the widest gap between "stated playstyle" and "actual playstyle" ever.

Then again, the original Vampire Player's Guide had a full page of gun stats, up to and including flamethrowers and chainsaws, so there might be a bit of a mixed message there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

NachtSieger posted:

Also I'm planning to run a Double Cross game set in the Disgaea universe, replacing Encroachment with "ability to tolerate your Overlord," where the PCs all obviousl work for some kind of Overlord. But I have no idea what to rename it into so it's not long and unwieldy. It's that or Fantasy Craft of some kind, or Monsterhearts of some kind.

Disgaea: Saturday Afternoon of Darkness.

• Locked thread