Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i've totally played/run some rpgs :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I remember once someone saying that Pundit is just an Andy Kaufman-esque character of Tarnowski's.

They failed to explain how that makes anything he does okay.

Not to mention the fact that a significant portion of his fanbase takes him seriously.

It's sort of like Rush Limbaugh fans who say that their idol is a "satire" of conservatives; they just happen to agree with his most extreme positions.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gau posted:

Yeah. Combat is boring and generic, the advantage/disadvantage system is overdone at best, and there's nothing about the game that evokes or reinforces the setting. It's a popular choice for all the reasons that people like GURPS or Unisystem or Storyteller 2.0. Out of the three, only GURPS really offers something to put it ahead of the pack of "low-impact systems I can pretend work for every game."

XyloJW posted:

I have to agree. I played Savage Worlds in three different settings, with three different DMs, and every time the combat just felt boring. I had fun with the rest of the system, and it's a credit that it worked in such completely different settings, but the combat was always very samey.

Parkreiner posted:

SW combat is an insanely dull slog once the maps and minis come out, there's the whole "getting stunlocked" death spiral, and on top of that it keeps the "spend luck points for rerolls or hoard them for extra XP" thing from Deadlands (now extra exacerbated because you can spend them to stop being stunned), and Necessary Evil in particular is an awful campaign filled with overbearing NPCs constantly making GBS threads on the PCs and a super-powers system that I can only describe as unplaytested garbage.

Savage Worlds looks OK on paper but I have never had any fun playing it with three different groups.

Glazius posted:

Savage Worlds assumes you're going to have 2-6 generic mooks to control during minis combat, along with your painstakingly designed character who has to roll an 8+ (on, at most, a d12) to do anything but run away the second they get grazed, or spend one of the two or three bennies they'll get for the night on being able to act.

Well, tacitly assumes. The game designers are obviously pumped up about big battles with tons of figs and maybe they never looked too closely at what happens when you go one man, one mini.
That's a shame. I don't want to deal with super-detailed, super-complicated systems anymore, but one thing I learned from D&D4e is that I do like combat and rulesets with some tactical combat and depth. (Sure, I've played plenty of systems where tactical choice technically exists, but it usually boils down to "Win initiative and hit as hard and as many times as you can" because other options are ineffective or too cumbersome to deal with.) I was hoping SW would be that combination of simplicity and tactics.

I'd kill for a game that took the basic setup of Conclave or Avengers Alliance and made it playable on a tabletop.

Quarex posted:

Aww thanks for picking this up Ha-Ja, and I liked your Antonio Inoki joke.
It's no joke! Antonio Inoki converted to Islam to promote a wrestling show, joined the Japanese Diet basically to promote his wrestling shows, and insinuated himself into the Japan/North Korea diplomatic conflict to promote the only wrestling show ever in North Korea. No one is carnier than Inoki.

quote:

Yeah, I have literally no idea what happened when they were creating the system. If it helps I know at least a couple of the designers are people who love RIFTS even if they know mechanically it is bad; they may figure since it is more coherent than RIFTS that they have done their job.

I felt pretty justified in giving myself a Typing of 10. It has come up twice in five convention games.

Haha. In reality the game is not really played that way even by its designers but I would hardly defend putting that in the rules if they do not want the game to work that way (I never read that part of the rules so I had no idea it was there).

Plus, to go with the mechanics advice, you would barely know the game had mechanics half the time you are playing, since JUMPS can be as short as 15 minutes and often it is back-to-back panicked shouting with only a roll or two in sight. Jumpers may be the game that actually started convincing me that old-school style mechanics can be a serious detriment to the way a game is supposed to be played, actually.
It sounds like the game as it's run at conventions is very different from how the book presents itself, which is not at all uncommon. It also seems like another case of the designers having a great game to make, but also wanting to present their homemade system that fixes all the problems they've had, both in practice and in theory, with other games they've played.

Ettin posted:

Things I discovered while browsing recent Wikipedia RPG pages:

Desborough has his own Wikipedia article. Most of the edits are him, the rest are people deleting his own horn-tooting. :allears:
He looks exactly like what I expected.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Halloween Jack posted:

He looks exactly like what I expected.

It's sort of amazing how people like Desborough never look like anything but what they are. The world is littered with douchebags that aren't detectable from down the streets, yet if you ever met Desborough in person, you would look like you were having a seizure, because you would try to punch him in the face and double over from laughter at the same time.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am delighted that your list is half as long by iself as the database my gaming buddy made of every gaming book that a half-dozen of us collectively own and keep at the guy with the biggest house's house.

Hmm though actually that means that each of us is 1/3 as bad a gaming hoarder as you ... and considering the vast majority of those books belong to me or the database guy or the house guy, I guess that means we all have problems.

Edit: Oh I missed this page

Halloween Jack posted:

It sounds like the game as it's run at conventions is very different from how the book presents itself, which is not at all uncommon. It also seems like another case of the designers having a great game to make, but also wanting to present their homemade system that fixes all the problems they've had, both in practice and in theory, with other games they've played.
Indeed. I am going to see if I can have a serious talk with them this year about whether they would want to make a "Just Kidding, Rules-Light" version of their game. But considering I do not even see any Jumpers games on the Gen-Con schedule, and I know the lead designer is working the Auction with me, I have a feeling they are either gearing up to completely change it or have given up.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New thread here.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Welp, already goldmined. Now what?

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
See ya in August.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

ritorix posted:

See ya in August.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Here in radioland, I have a Monday night show, so it is technically still Monday for 40 more minutes and I intend to make the most of it!

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

The new thread is here. Let us never speak of the other one again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Davin Valkri posted:

Welp, already goldmined. Now what?
I have no idea why that happened, who the picture refers to, or why it's important. :confused:

• Locked thread