Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

kind of an animal, based on Theseus and the Minotaur;

Sciencius versus Bureaucrator

"The increasing interpenetration of government, university, and private firms has led everyone to adopt the language, sensibilities, and organizational forms that originated in the corporate world. Although this might have helped in creating marketable products, since that is what corporate bureaucracies are designed to do, in terms of fostering original research, the results have been catastrophic." -David Graeber, Of Flying Cars and the Declining Rate of Profit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

My roommates started playing D&D. If I join, I'm gonna be this halfling barbarian named Goliath

noggut
Jan 15, 2008

neonnoodle posted:

That goat tree is superb.

As for this I have no idea

Badass, it looks like an old Disney movie.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Pissed Luigi is the best.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Something I worked on over the weekend. Hope to post here more.

"I said GOOD DAY SIR!!"

Apso
May 30, 2008

Awesome stuff itt

'fan' art isn't usually my thing but gently caress it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Squirrel.

edit:
Also, here's a crab cross-post from the animation thread because.

scarycave fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 10, 2014

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Pretty pleased with this, given I wasn't in the mood to art today. Working on painting-not-drawing.

e: holy table-break, batman!

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 10, 2014

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I finally sat down and fixed my tablet drivers to make pressure sensitivity work again and I celebrated by drawing an elf.

I know head-on is really boring but I decided to go with ezmode to get back into the swing of things. I'm not super happy with how blurry and flat all the features look but I couldn't get it looking right and I've been poking at it too long at this point.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Couple of day's efforts. I know the perspective is off, I used to be scared of perspective. Trying new things.

the_town_forums by friendbeard, on Flickr

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Bored airport doodles. Not very inspiring, but it's been awhile and I was free-handing it in pen, so no takebacks.

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

Election Day

“…a form of democracy so minimal that it comes down to nothing more than insisting that ruling elites should occasionally consult with “the public”—in carefully staged contests, replete with rather meaningless jousts and tournaments—to re-establish their right to go on making decisions for them.“ -David Graeber

Triangle
Jul 30, 2011

Heh. If I was actually unchill, I would be using all caps and/or exclamation marks in my posts, but I am chill. Clowns like you make me laugh, that's what clowns do. Added to my ignore list.
Woah! Cool drawings! They almost look like 3D renders :D

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Yeah, on that note, any chance we could change the next thread's title to something more inclusive, "daily art" or whatever? At the moment its hard to know where to put "art I did today that isn't drawing/sketching".

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

From people watching at the local university:

From imagination:

I think I'm starting to grasp gesture a bit more but it will still take a lot of work. Luckily Berkeley is full of people even during the summer so peoplewatching should be easy.

My teacher recommended a painting class and while I can't take one at the moment, I do have Art Academy on my 3DS. I'd post a few that I've done already but the drat save system won't let you export completed works unless you saved them a certain way :argh:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

BlueDestiny posted:

From people watching at the local university:

From imagination:

I think I'm starting to grasp gesture a bit more but it will still take a lot of work. Luckily Berkeley is full of people even during the summer so peoplewatching should be easy.

My teacher recommended a painting class and while I can't take one at the moment, I do have Art Academy on my 3DS. I'd post a few that I've done already but the drat save system won't let you export completed works unless you saved them a certain way :argh:

You should probably use a scanner, or even just photograph them in better lighting, the drawings are kind of hard to see here.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Humboldt Squid posted:

You should probably use a scanner, or even just photograph them in better lighting, the drawings are kind of hard to see here.

My bad, I'll remember to get stronger lighting next time. Although the marks are so faint they might just fade out.

In any case, the lesson I did today in AA was super helpful because it was all about drawing with pencil. A lot of concepts that I hadn't really grasped were explained and demonstrated so hopefully I'll have some better work to show.

Drawing I did in AA about 2 months ago:

Today's:

Screwed up on the defining the leaf masses but now I understand the concept much better.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Great stuff so far this month everyone! I was actually afraid that this month would be a little dead thanks to finals but you guys are killing it!
Super early WIP of my Compixellated challenge entry, the theme this week is "ocean" and as the son of two marine biologists I had to pitch in

Eventually I hope to animate the chromatophores in the skin too, something like this

(animation hurts my brain though)

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
So I drew

from this http://mypeanutgallery.deviantart.com/art/Apples-for-Chippie-460325477

I kind of think my reproduction is devoid of artistic value, so I didn't upload it to deviantArt and didn't notify the original photographer (to be fair, she doesn't say anything about attribution or anything), but I feel a bit awkward, as normally the creators there have pretty strict guidelines. Of course, I could simply skip uploading to the Internet and posting here. What do you think?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

supermikhail posted:

So I drew

from this http://mypeanutgallery.deviantart.com/art/Apples-for-Chippie-460325477

I kind of think my reproduction is devoid of artistic value, so I didn't upload it to deviantArt and didn't notify the original photographer (to be fair, she doesn't say anything about attribution or anything), but I feel a bit awkward, as normally the creators there have pretty strict guidelines. Of course, I could simply skip uploading to the Internet and posting here. What do you think?

Dude you can do a photo study. It might be a different story if you were going to use the study commercially or something but if the photographer had to be notified every time a photo study was done the guy who photographed the Afghan Girl would be physically buried in permission letters 24\7. Just make a note in the comments that it's a photo study and maybe link to the original.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I think I'm covered here then. :c00lbutt:

HottiePippen
Nov 5, 2013

Chipotle napkin doodles

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

Nobody's a Critic

"Media analysis is an established beat in almost every nation with a free press, and it’s a given that journalists must scrutinize our own profession as diligently as we would any other. Canada is a strange exception. Although we have a few media reporters, our attempts at substantive criticism never last long. Antonia Zerbisias served as the Toronto Star’s media columnist from 2003 to 2007, but then she changed beats and the position was eliminated. Decades ago, CBC Radio tried out a show called Media File, which sought to provide an inside glimpse of the newsmaking process. Sunday Edition host Michael Enright, then a CBC executive, remembers the show failing because journalists refused to appear as subjects. “It didn’t last for more than a season,” he told me in an interview last year. “People in the media got nervous.”

-Jesse Brown

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!

Humboldt Squid posted:

Great stuff so far this month everyone! I was actually afraid that this month would be a little dead thanks to finals but you guys are killing it!
Super early WIP of my Compixellated challenge entry, the theme this week is "ocean" and as the son of two marine biologists I had to pitch in

Eventually I hope to animate the chromatophores in the skin too, something like this

(animation hurts my brain though)

Oh, that is a neat challenge! As soon as I saw it I immediately thought, "Masking effects, and a whole lot of planning!" but I'm not sure how you'll be able to accomplish that effect using pixels on such a teeny tiny icon.

Kinda wanna try making a cuttlefish now.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

GreatJob posted:

Oh, that is a neat challenge! As soon as I saw it I immediately thought, "Masking effects, and a whole lot of planning!" but I'm not sure how you'll be able to accomplish that effect using pixels on such a teeny tiny icon.

Kinda wanna try making a cuttlefish now.

Either frame by frame or making a pattern or something and moving it around while hiding the area outside of Cthulu's sperm.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Out of time :\

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

That cuttlefish seems to be a tough one considering how much surface detail you have to show with the flowing pattern and the limits of image size. Love the renders too, they look like someone took an illustration and made it 3D.

I think I finally get gesture :unsmith:

It's pretty basic, taken from an artist mannequin, but it has more life than practically all my prior scribblings put together. It was also way faster and less tedious to do, while I can easily see how to work it up into a more finished piece.

typ0ninja
Jan 9, 2005

That's pretty rad, noodle! I like the colors.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."

Drawn from
http://mypeanutgallery.deviantart.com/art/It-s-Still-Snowing-455099171

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Fitting the theme:

Aaaand while waiting for feedback from work:

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Another one

from
http://mypeanutgallery.deviantart.com/art/We-re-A-Pair-455098655

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Another elf. Elves are kind of like animals, right?

Reene fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 17, 2014

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
:stare: Racist much?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

supermikhail posted:

:stare: Racist much?

What? They're just elves.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Lots of things are animals, even humans! Like this guy:

Self-portrait in AA :pwn:

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Sherlock, do you have any leads about who could have jumped on your face yet?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Pic I drew for another thread:
http://gifsound.com/?gif=i.imgur.com/h2nbraZ.png&v=JH8gvhl4rH8&s=38

typ0ninja
Jan 9, 2005

Space plants are like animals right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene