Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Hernando posted:

Nobody's a Critic

"Media analysis is an established beat in almost every nation with a free press, and it’s a given that journalists must scrutinize our own profession as diligently as we would any other. Canada is a strange exception. Although we have a few media reporters, our attempts at substantive criticism never last long. Antonia Zerbisias served as the Toronto Star’s media columnist from 2003 to 2007, but then she changed beats and the position was eliminated. Decades ago, CBC Radio tried out a show called Media File, which sought to provide an inside glimpse of the newsmaking process. Sunday Edition host Michael Enright, then a CBC executive, remembers the show failing because journalists refused to appear as subjects. “It didn’t last for more than a season,” he told me in an interview last year. “People in the media got nervous.”

-Jesse Brown

In case no one has mentioned it. This is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

from
http://mypeanutgallery.deviantart.com/art/Adventure-3-440097113

Discovered the from-anywhere colorpicking tool, used it. :shrug:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Colorpicking can really slow you down if you want to learn how to see relative color under changing lighting conditions.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Fortunately I don't plan to go outdoors this century. :sigh:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I mean, working from photos is fine, but choose colors using your eyes, not the colorpick tool.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006
Haven't really had time to draw and I'm running way late for my coloring book submissions.

It's Stephen King month

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
My battle with the human head begins anew. :shobon: Now in glorious technicolour!

Now that uni semester is over and I have a tiny bit of free time, I'll try to draw one person per day until the end of June.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I am rapidly running out of characters.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
My attempts at learning to paint in color continue. It's a small wooden animal, but that counts, right?

[EDIT] Apparently image attachments are borked? :( That will teach me to try and share!

Finally got around to hosting the image myself:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 19, 2014

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

petrol blue posted:

These are all awesome, and with impressively different styles. (Also, any of them would make an amazing avatar!)

Hey, thank you! :) haven't worked on any new ones in a while but in my free time I'm embarking on a new animation project centering around mythological creatures. It'll be relatively short but I'm illustrating all the creatures (I think there will be 4 total) and it's really fun.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Avshalom posted:

My battle with the human head begins anew. :shobon: Now in glorious technicolour!

Now that uni semester is over and I have a tiny bit of free time, I'll try to draw one person per day until the end of June.

Your values in general are pretty nice. Though I think some of your edges are a bit harsh, especially in her cheeks. It kinda gives her a bit of a gaunt/emaciated look. If that's not intentional, you can fix it by softening the edges of the shadow to make the transition a little more gradual.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

edit: nevermind I dunno

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Some sketches of him young, sketches of him old. Professor wendigo.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Avshalom posted:

I think you've received some flak for huge eyes, but I dig them and say embrace them; reminds me of the mummy portraits. I do think you tend to over-shade noses, though... this one has the bottom of the nose displayed as if she was looking down on us, whereas everything else says head-on

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

dupersaurus posted:

I think you've received some flak for huge eyes, but I dig them and say embrace them; reminds me of the mummy portraits. I do think you tend to over-shade noses, though... this one has the bottom of the nose displayed as if she was looking down on us, whereas everything else says head-on

On top of that you might want to lose that one line at the bottom of the nose, it sort of makes it look like a mushroom.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Some croquis and figure drawings from last night.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nose is looking a bit better now.

Edit:
A public service announcement-

scarycave fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 19, 2014

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Cartoon about how I want somebody to genetically engineer a variety of mango that you can peel like a banana and doesn't contain a pit.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
I was about to point out that modified varieties of plants and animals aren't usually called like that, but both mangana and bamango seem to be taken. :shrug:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Huh, I didn't even think of that. Well, the fruit would probably be created by some douchebag millenial who grew up with different expectations for naming conventions. I was trying to mimic the color gradient of the Back to the Future title for the lettering, and it's coincidentally mango-colored.

Hernando
Jun 8, 2004

Bubbacub posted:

Cartoon about how I want somebody to genetically engineer a variety of mango that you can peel like a banana and doesn't contain a pit.

Would it be too much to ask that it were also less prone to snuggling in between one's teeth?

sigma 6 posted:

In case no one has mentioned it. This is great.

Thank you very much! :shobon: BlueDestiny did;

BlueDestiny posted:

Love the renders too, they look like someone took an illustration and made it 3D.

Really glad you're into it, I am trained as an illustrator in traditional media although I find working in 3D to be vastly less tedious and more fun.
~

What’s Lost as Handwriting Fades

New evidence suggests that the links between handwriting and broader educational development run deep. Children not only learn to read more quickly when they first learn to write by hand, but they also remain better able to generate ideas and retain information. In other words, it’s not just what we write that matters — but how.

-Maria Konnikova

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Rocks are animals right? Right? >_>

edit
Ok, here's an animal.

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 20, 2014

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I ran out of elves :negative:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Wow, this is adorable!

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Reene posted:

No you didn't. Just make his ears pointy - bam!
Instant elf.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Imaginary Friend posted:

edit
Ok, here's an animal.

Wow. Not sure exactly what it is about this piece, but I absolutely love it. Great stuff.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Reene posted:

Don't worry, I'll help

Billy Shears
Jul 9, 2009

I cut Paul's hair.

Humboldt Squid posted:

Some croquis and figure drawings from last night.

This is some good stuff right here.

Billy Shears
Jul 9, 2009

I cut Paul's hair.
Some of my figure studies from earlier this month.

I believe this was a five minute:

and a 20 minute:

lastly, I recently signed up with New Masters Academy and followed along with one of Vilppu's lessons. Here are my results:

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Stuff from this month. Good bones and calcium will come to you.

diddy kongs feet
Dec 11, 2012

wanna lick the dirt out between ur chimp toes

painting

diddy kongs feet fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jun 21, 2014

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Today I decided to start doing digital studies, as not to be a complete moron about these stuff

DAY 1

Last one I plan to finish tommorow

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

:swoon:

TheGreekOwl posted:

:swoon:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Now this thread has a poodle.

Take him out back.

TheGreekOwl
Mar 1, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Can't work on this anymore, gona move on with other studies.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

From the mists of two months of making a candy crush advertisement I return to you (and to mariokart 8. I'll unlock the mirror cup one day)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

uh also if anyone is interested

• Locked thread