Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apple's annual developer conference is taking place in San Francisco, CA on June 2-6, 2014. Most importantly for casual fans, the keynote address will be at 10AM PDT on Monday, June 2. Apple usually takes this opportunity to announce new versions of its operating systems, as well as any new hardware that its ready to introduce. This year we can expect iOS 8, Mac OS X 10.10, and then whatever goofy hardware rumors you want to believe (watches, home automation, TVs, etc.). The Beats acquisition will also likely be formally addressed. We don't anticipate any new iPhone or iPad models at this time, but stranger things have happened. However, those usually come in the September-October time frame.

Apple will be providing a live stream of the keynote for OS X, iOS, and Apple TV users to watch right here. Feel free to get mad about how much this sucks for Windows or Android users, but this seems to be the norm now. Someone usually posts a cross-platform compatible link that you can drop into VLC within a few minutes of the stream starting, so keep an eye out for that. If you can't do the stream thing and feel like following a live blog, then Anandtech, Engadget, and Arstechnica are usually the best around.

Those with Developer accounts: don't forget to do your backups today! It's iOS 8 beta and OS X 10.10 Developer Preview day tomorrow :dance:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

I'm kinda thinking they might make the 10.10 DPs an open beta since they just recently opened up the seeding program.
That's extremely optimistic and unrealistic, I think. The "open beta" you're referring to does not get the same builds as developers or even the traditional invite-only Appleseed program. We only have one release to go on since the program started, but the open beta program only received a single 10.9.3 beta release late in the development cycle while developers received nine. 10.9.3's public beta didn't even keep up with the newer builds as it neared completion. Also, 10.9.4 is already being seeded to developers, while the public channel has received nothing. Apple's likely going to restrict the open beta program to more stable builds, so I don't think there's any chance of 10.10 DP1 being released to the public -- maybe the Release Candidate in a couple of months.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 1, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I have to imagine we'll get a 4K Thunderbolt Display announcement tomorrow.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's looking like it'll be 'Yosemite', judging by the banners going up at Moscone.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

wdarkk posted:

Maybe they'll do a half-year refresh to add it to more models?
Doubtful. Apple's likely gonna price their 4K display as a professional product not for general consumers, so restricting it to the 15" rMBP and Mac Pro for now makes sense to me. Same reason I think we'll see a 4K Thunderbolt Display for about a year before we see the iMac get the same panel.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

First thought immediately... will we be able to record calls placed with our Mac?
Probably with a third-party app.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Public beta is "summer" though, not today.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

Isn't it officially summer now?
No?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mattfl posted:

What device are these screenshots from??

New iPhone????
Looks like a white 5S to me. :confused:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Avocados posted:

Holy crap. Yesterday I was pissed that I had to get an Apple phone since my android died out on me, but it looks like the conversion won't be all that stressful much anymore.
Just FYI none of these features will be available until like September

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bad news: I think you're gonna need Bluetooth LE support for the Continuity stuff. I haven't seen an official confirmation yet, though.

• Locked thread