Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Fans posted:

You started doing it in 1996, stopped doing it in 2001 due to legal struggles and finally reversed the main parts of it in 2005, including Optical Fiber and Line Sharing.

Um, no. I buy 'type 2' fiber all day long. at least 3/4ths of what I sell is 'out of region' and depends on LEC or CLEC access into my core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pauline Kael posted:

Um, no. I buy 'type 2' fiber all day long. at least 3/4ths of what I sell is 'out of region' and depends on LEC or CLEC access into my core.

Yay? The fact you can buy it doesn't mean it's a requirement like it is in the UK.

I do know Broadband infrastructure does not legally need to be shared in the US anymore and so for the most part they don't. It was ruled out in 2005 so they could properly "compete" with Cable Companies who'd had that same requirement to share lines that had been brought in at 1998 dropped in 2002.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I don't think local loop unbundling solves the problem on its own, though. It's survived more or less unmolested in Canada and it "works" insofar as you'll have three or four smaller ISPs able to exist and compete with the incumbents in most urban centres and generally offering better bang for the buck (at the cost of some service hassles because they have less control over their last-mile), but I personally think what the UK really did right was forcing (or, well, "convincing") BT to separate its infrastructure provider from its other businesses and to sell access to both competitors and its own retail ISP on an equal basis. Without that functional separation (which isn't quite "net neutrality" as the US debate describes it but is, I guess, a kissing cousin) the incentive structure for incumbent providers as wholesale providers is messed up and you get them trying to quietly hamstring the competitor ISPs they're forced to serve at every turn.

Seriously look at this poo poo. This is what the UK's incumbent provider had to agree to to restrain their capacity for underhanded fuckery.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 19, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Dallan Invictus posted:

I don't think local loop unbundling solves the problem on its own, though.

Splitting up Infrastructure and Provider usually goes hand in hand with Unbundling but I don't think it's absolutely required. You could probably do it via penalties or a monopoly tax because any legislation that tries to split up a company tends to die on its rear end in the US system and it's going to be a struggle to get anything at all though.

BT tried to drag their feat and block out competitors when our bills went through, Ofcom were fast on shaming them and bringing down the hammer though. Not sure the FCC really has will to see it through even if they did try it considering who works there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fans posted:

You started doing it in 1996, stopped doing it in 2001 due to legal struggles and finally reversed the main parts of it in 2005, including Optical Fiber and Line Sharing.

Nope, we still let any DSL provider that wants into the premises to provide DSL if they want. Of course, they can all only offer the same lovely DSL service through there and the prices barely differ. Because DSL is a trash way of providing internet service especially past 7000 feet.

Fans posted:

You're behind pretty much the entire of Europe. France, Germany, UK, Spain and none of those are tiny and highly clustered populations. It's not a "Little bit more expensive" either, you're paying at least twice as much for a service that just isn't as good.

Actually according to the EU they have severe trouble with ISPs massively overselling their service, to the point that customers get 70% or less of advertised speed on average. And according to the UK government, they believe their services are just on par with America, and still have worse actual:advertised performance ratios compared to America.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nope, we still let any DSL provider that wants into the premises to provide DSL if they want. Of course, they can all only offer the same lovely DSL service through there and the prices barely differ. Because DSL is a trash way of providing internet service especially past 7000 feet.

2005 FCC Halt DSL line sharing

Their networks are closed to competitors if they want to. Which they do. Maybe the people near you keep them open and that's great! They are not in any way required to by law.

Nintendo Kid posted:

And according to the UK government, they believe their services are just on par with America, and still have worse actual:advertised performance ratios compared to America.

I have never seen a news story like this here. They're pretty proud of catching up to the rest of Europe and being better than the US.

Yes the EU hammers people about false advertising, EU regulation is always fairly strict. ISP's lie wildly about speeds in the USA too, we're no different there.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Fans posted:

Their networks are closed to competitors if they want to. Which they do. Maybe the people near you keep them open and that's great! They are not in any way required to by law.

I have operational and sales familiarity with AT&T and Verizon, both in and out of region. Between the two of them they account for what, 80% of the ILEC footprint in the country? Both of them (and Frontier and Windstream, BTW) are still doing unbundled local access. I don't know where you're getting your information, but it's bad.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fans posted:

I have never seen a news story like this here. They're pretty proud of catching up to the rest of Europe and being better than the US.

Yes the EU hammers people about false advertising, EU regulation is always fairly strict. ISP's lie wildly about speeds in the USA too, we're no different there.

You've never seen a news story, but the governments are reporting it. You know, the people who have the data.

You didn't even read the article you linked either, as it reports that only DSL in the states lags significantly (and incidentally DSL is practically dying out to fiber and cable). PS: European DSL providers underprovide even more than American ones.

Fans posted:

In practice this has happened almost nowhere. Although again, having it available hasn't created any competition or real consumer choice in the first place.

Pauline Kael posted:

I have operational and sales familiarity with AT&T and Verizon, both in and out of region. Between the two of them they account for what, 80% of the ILEC footprint in the country? Both of them (and Frontier and Windstream, BTW) are still doing unbundled local access. I don't know where you're getting your information, but it's bad.

I think the only places it's actually happened have been cases where every line into the CO short enough to run DSL over was upgraded to fiber and thus the DSL offerings were obsoleted.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Nintendo Kid posted:

You've never seen a news story, but the governments are reporting it. You know, the people who have the data.

I think the news would pick up on that. Feel free to Source that up though.

Nintendo Kid posted:

In practice this has happened almost nowhere.

What? This is the reason the line sharing law even got struck down in the first place. Brand X wanted to buy access to provide competition and were shut down by the larger providers who didn't want to compete. Earthlink had similar problems and a bunch of smaller ISP's have been clamoring for Broadband at wholesale rates for years.

Fans fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 19, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fans posted:

Why would the news pick up on "UK speeds continue to be similar to US speeds"? To put it simply, that isn't news.
Check out http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/market-data-research/other/telecoms-research/broadband-speeds/broadband-speeds-may2013/ and especially https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...014_-_Final.pdf (page 11 in particular)

Fans posted:

What? This is the reason the line sharing law even got struck down in the first place. Brand X wanted to buy access to provide competition and were shut down by the larger providers who didn't want to compete. Earthlink had similar problems and a bunch of smaller ISP's have been clamoring for Broadband at wholesale rates for years.

I can't believe you're trying to claim cable is DSL now. That's a hell of a goalpost move.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Fans posted:

He already has.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Nintendo Kid posted:

I can't believe you're trying to claim cable is DSL now. That's a hell of a goalpost move.

They did the same thing to DSL as a follow on to the case five weeks later. I just couldn't find anything as well written covering Earthlink's side of it.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why would the news pick up on "UK speeds continue to be similar to US speeds"? To put it simply, that isn't news.
Check out http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/market-data-research/other/telecoms-research/broadband-speeds/broadband-speeds-may2013/ and especially https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...014_-_Final.pdf (page 11 in particular)

That's showing a 15% faster downstream speed and doesn't even go into the price paid for it.

Fans fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 19, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fans posted:

They did the same thing to DSL as a follow on to the case five weeks later. I just couldn't find anything as well written covering Earthlink's side of it.

That's showing a 15% faster downstream speed and doesn't even go into the price paid for it.

Except DSL is available from multiple providers in nearly all COs in this country that have not had all copper lines removed for upgrading. PS: Earthlink is, was, and always will be a trash provider.

It is not showing a 15% faster downstream speed, you are reading an entirely different country for that. It shows about 9% faster and that's with most of the UK being concentrated far more densely than most of America's population, and thus less rural outliers to bring down averages. And for peak connection speed the difference is under 2%.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 19, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Nintendo Kid posted:

It is not showing a 15% faster downstream speed, you are reading an entirely different country for that. It shows about 9% faster and that's with most of the UK being concentrated far more densely than most of America's population, and thus less rural outliers to bring down averages. And for peak connection speed the difference is under 2%.

Since it didn't provide the figures I looked them up

It's actually 13%, lazy maths gets me in trouble.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fans posted:

Since it didn't provide the figures I looked them up

It's actually 13%, lazy maths gets me in trouble.

Ookla makes do with fewer privately run servers to collect data from, the peak performance stats for the US, UK, and European Union countries in the UK government report come from actually installing monitoring equipment at customer premises and to a lesser extent within ISPs. It measures what the connections actually are capable of, instead of the often congested OOKLA speedtest network.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Nintendo Kid posted:

Ookla makes do with fewer privately run servers to collect data from, the peak performance stats for the US, UK, and European Union countries in the UK government report come from actually installing monitoring equipment at customer premises and to a lesser extent within ISPs. It measures what the connections actually are capable of, instead of the often congested OOKLA speedtest network.

If you mean the SamKnows figures the average speed they give is actually a fair bit higher for the UK than Ookla gives us. But it seperates out DSL and Cable so it's hard to say what the overall average is. Oh and doesn't give US figures at all to compare with.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

That link goes to a report on the FCC study I linked up thread, which shows that fiber over delivers, cable averages almost exactly advertised speed during peak periods and only DSL (the least popular option in the US) underperformed advertised speed during peak periods - and even the worst performer (Verizon DSL) still delivered more than 80% of advertised speed during peak period on average. Even for DSL, the worst performing technology, 80% of customers get at least 84% advertised speed.

But yes, that's "lying wildly." Care to come up with equivalent data on the UK?

Fans posted:

Oh and doesn't give US figures at all to compare with.

The FCC report uses the SamKnows methodology - they partnered with them for at least the last two or three years.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Kalman posted:

But yes, that's "lying wildly." Care to come up with equivalent data on the UK?

This should do

The worst is 86%.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fans posted:

This should do

The worst is 86%.

So the US is equivalent to the UK.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

computer parts posted:

So the US is equivalent to the UK.

When it comes to their advertising standards yes. When it comes to broadband speed and prices no.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I pay 70 (75?) dollars at comcast: they offered to upgrade me to the highest possible tier for 5 more dollars a month so I sighed and said 'ok'. The only other option in the area is sonic which is apparently a great isp, but it's adsl and I'm about 2 miles from the exchange so I'd get under 2mb/s, and sonic is not amazingly cheap either, last I checked it was something like over 30bux/month. At comcast I get 42+ mb/s which is great for streaming, steam, etc. I have hit my limit and never been penalized.

I lived in the UK for 4 years and left in 2007. Internet there was all adsl (called dsl in the USA for some reason, and yes I know what it means, I've never heard of non-a dsl being offered) and I never got more than 10mb/s in the best conditions, normally closer to 7 or 8. What are people using in the UK mostly if not adsl? or has adsl tech improved dramatically recently and now people can get way better speeds?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Fans posted:

This should do

The worst is 86%.

So the UK has zero providers who deliver better than advertised speed, while the US has several (including Comcast)?

redreader posted:

What are people using in the UK mostly if not adsl? or has adsl tech improved dramatically recently and now people can get way better speeds?

70% of the UK uses DSL. The UK is denser than a lot of US areas, so my guess is simply that they have shorter local loops leading to better DSL performance.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Kalman posted:

So the UK has zero providers who deliver better than advertised speed, while the US has several (including Comcast)?

70% of the UK uses DSL. The UK is denser than a lot of US areas, so my guess is simply that they have shorter local loops leading to better DSL performance.

Yeah but last I checked, if you're right next to the exchange the max possible down speed is something like 16mb/s and anyone 1km away or so will get under 10mb/s. Also since it's A, the up speed is utter poo poo. What I'm saying is 'how does the UK have better internet access if I'm getting 42+ mb/s from comcast cable?' Or am I the 1% of USA internet users and the average is worse than the UK?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Kalman posted:

We have zero providers who deliver better than the maximum attainable speed for hopefully obvious reasons.

redreader posted:

Yeah but last I checked, if you're right next to the exchange the max possible down speed is something like 16mb/s and anyone 1km away or so will get under 10mb/s. Also since it's A, the up speed is utter poo poo. What I'm saying is 'how does the UK have better internet access if I'm getting 42+ mb/s from comcast cable?' Or am I the 1% of USA internet users and the average is worse than the UK?

You are indeed doing a lot better than most of the US!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

redreader posted:

I lived in the UK for 4 years and left in 2007. Internet there was all adsl (called dsl in the USA for some reason, and yes I know what it means, I've never heard of non-a dsl being offered) and I never got more than 10mb/s in the best conditions, normally closer to 7 or 8. What are people using in the UK mostly if not adsl? or has adsl tech improved dramatically recently and now people can get way better speeds?

Two things. First, is that due to the lack of ability to expand speeds on standard DSL, and lack of any sort of widespread cable TV systems, fiber buildout was started a lot quicker, much of it of the same type as we see with most cases of AT&T U-Verse in the states - fiber going to nodes very close to a block of customers, and then a short distance high speed VDSL link that can stay high speed because it's only traveling a few hundred feet rather than all the way from a CO (yes AT&T U-Verse in some areas is direct fiber to the home, but most installations aren't).

Second is, a lot of Britons are located close enough to the central offices to actually get over 20 megabit service over DSL reliably. OF course this leaves the people further than a few thousand feet out out of luck. Here's the distance versus speed chart of standard DSL services in ideal conditions (obviously you can expect that on existing networks, you will get less than the optimal speed):

But all in all, there's plenty of British people who simply have slow speeds and have to live with it. The average access rates for Americans in total and British in total are very close indeed.

Fans posted:

We have zero providers who deliver better than the maximum attainable speed for hopefully obvious reasons.

Your ISPs shouldn't be advertising a speed they know is impossible for the customer to ever attain.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Nintendo Kid posted:

Your ISPs shouldn't be advertising a speed they know is impossible for the customer to ever attain.

Some people do get higher than the Maximum speed they advertise. On average they don't because an average higher than the maximum would be kind of weird.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fans posted:

Some people do get higher than the Maximum speed they advertise. On average they don't because an average higher than the maximum would be kind of weird.

So which is it, is the maximum speed impossible attain or isn't it?

It's kind of an issue if your ISPs are knowingly advertising speeds they know almost noone can get at any time of day, while in America most used forms of internet connectivity routinely outperform the advertised speeds either almost all day long or just straight up manage it 24/7

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Fans posted:

The US tests are percent of advertised maximum speed, and a number of US providers deliver better than advertised speed.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

That's way better than I expected. Yeah, at a certain point it stops being 'my internet is too slow' and starts being 'it would be nice to have more speed I suppose?' these days that speed is probably between 15 and 20 mbps? either way, yeah that's not bad. 25+ on adsl! looks like something happened to the tech recently.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Nintendo Kid posted:

So which is it, is the maximum speed impossible attain or isn't it?

An average speed higher than the Maximum speed isn't impossible to attain in theory I guess. It won't happen because why would you be advertising a maximum speed lower than the average?

Kalman posted:

The US tests are percent of advertised maximum speed, and a number of US providers deliver better than advertised speed.

Conveniently the news is just reporting on the FCC's findings of advertisement claims

Nobody there is delivering faster internet than they claim on average. Frontier Fiber get pretty close though.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Fans posted:

An average speed higher than the Maximum speed isn't impossible to attain in theory I guess. It won't happen because why would you be advertising a maximum speed lower than the average?

Conveniently the news is just reporting on the FCC's findings of advertisement claims

Nobody there is delivering faster internet than they claim on average. Frontier Fiber get pretty close though.

That's the wrong chart. That's the 80/80 chart, which isn't even close to directly comparable to the one you linked, since it addresses speed seen by 80% of people 80% of the time (not average.)

Go to page 24 of the FCC's report, not terrible reporting that you keep finding. See the chart? See how some of those bars go over 100%?

E: you don't see why you'd advertise "20/4" as a tier as opposed to "21.7/4.3"? Or why you might advertise 20 knowing that some customers will fall below because systems are imperfect so you want the majority of your customers to be a little closer to advertised, even if some customers get better than advertised as a result? There's a lot of good reasons not to advertise maximum potential speed.

Kalman fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 19, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

redreader posted:

That's way better than I expected. Yeah, at a certain point it stops being 'my internet is too slow' and starts being 'it would be nice to have more speed I suppose?' these days that speed is probably between 15 and 20 mbps? either way, yeah that's not bad. 25+ on adsl! looks like something happened to the tech recently.

No, this is a chart from 2005 or so. The tech's that old. Thing to keep in mind is that's the speed gotten for the total line including overhead, and for the top line it's in optimum conditions. Anything wrong with the line will take off the raw speed and a certain amount of the bandwidth always goes to overhead. A useful rule of thumb for DSL speed/distance in ideal conditions to convert to real conditions is to add 1000 feet or so to your real distance for very well maintained lines, and for poorly maintained lines add another couple thousand feet to your real distance.

Fans posted:

You don't advertise maximum speed in the first place if you want to be at all honest. You advertise the speed your customers can expect to get. If your service provides on average 20 megabits but one guy on it might get 30 megabits, you should be advertising it as a 20 megabit service, not as a 30 megabit service.

The actual data shows that most US providers consistently deliver a higher average speed, at all times of the day, then their advertised speed. That article is calling out the few ISPs who do not follow the rest of the industry, who are also mostly satellite or DSL providers.

It's amazing that you trust some random Vice writer over the actual data that you've been repeatedly shown!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Actually satellite does pretty well at delivering at least advertised speed. Probably does help that it's metered so there's less congestion during peak periods.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's amazing that you trust some random Vice writer over the actual data that you've been repeatedly shown!

I admit I got that wrapped up the wrong way! Yeah, you do seem to have better advertising standards than we do when it comes to internet.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kalman posted:

Actually satellite does pretty well at delivering at least advertised speed. Probably does help that it's metered so there's less congestion during peak periods.

ViaSat/Exede does well at overproviding, but the older satellite technologies have a bad habit of not being able to cope with load even with aggressive caps. This is why the older satellite providers are excluded from the reports now, and before 2012 satellite was excluded entirely. This is all down to ViaSat/Exede having launched a newer, far higher capacity constellation of satellites for their service.

The other providers excluded are HughesNet among others.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

You don't advertise maximum speed in the first place if you want to be at all honest. You advertise the speed your customers can expect to get. If your service provides on average 20 megabits but one guy on it might get 30 megabits, you should be advertising it as a 20 megabit service, not as a 30 megabit service.

The actual data shows that most US providers consistently deliver a higher average speed, at all times of the day, then their advertised speed. That article is calling out the few ISPs who do not follow the rest of the industry, who are also mostly satellite or DSL providers.

But many metropolitan regions are only serviced by a pair of the shittier providers on that list, such as Cox Cable and AT&T (where I used to live) or Time Warner Cable and Verizon DSL (where I live now!). It sucks knowing that you're not getting what you're paying for most of the time, and that you have no alternatives. It's not clear to me how this situation came to be.

e: I'm glad that on average people are getting better speeds than advertised, but shouldn't we do something about the companies that are being dishonest?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 21, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

QuarkJets posted:

But many metropolitan regions are only serviced by a pair of the shittier providers on that list, such as Cox Cable and AT&T (where I used to live) or Time Warner Cable and Verizon DSL (where I live now!). It sucks knowing that you're not getting what you're paying for most of the time, and that you have no alternatives. It's not clear to me how this situation came to be.

e: I'm glad that on average people are getting better speeds than advertised, but shouldn't we do something about the companies that are being dishonest?

Good news friend, Comcast is going to be taking over Time Warner and you'll probably get up to speed with the rest of Comcast then. :v: The thing to keep in mind though is that even if you had multiple options over the same access method (and you already do for DSL) the offerings available over that network can really only match what the network's owner maintains and services for.

The DSL companies mostly fail at providing advertised speeds because they never advertise speeds that reflect the reality of DSL I.E. it's common for a DSL provider's ad to you to say "up to 7 megabits per second" and be impossible for that speed to ever be reached at your address because you're x thousand feet too far away. Even when the DSL provider's sign-up advertising actually tries to account for local loop distance to your particular address, you still end up in situations where even though they've reduced the 7 megabit claim down to 4 megabit based on a local loop length estimate, for instance, you still can only get reliable service at 3.

I must say incidentally, the 2014 report shows that Cox is above 100% for most of the day and than dips to just at 100% at peak; and Time Warner shows as hovering above 100% most of the day and then going to 96% at peak - these are both pretty significant improvements over 2013's results (where Cox dropped to 96% for peak and TWC never went above 98% and hit 93% at peak). Verizon and AT&T DSL both got worse though, I wonder why that is.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
correct me if I'm wrong fishmech, but the main thrust of your argument is that telecoms' lovely behavior is not notably lovely, but rather lovely in the banal way that almost all corporations in a capitalistic system are, right?

sort of a redux of the monsanto argument

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Wheelers previous work continues to work well. The Empire strikes back (again and again).

Cities Wired for Fiber Internet, Lobbyists Prevent Usage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVnctJmoSYc

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/hundreds-of-cities-are-wired-with-fiberbut-telecom-lobbying-keeps-it-unused
http://motherboard.vice.com/en_uk/read/a-revolving-door-of-telecom-lobbyists-is-paving-a-fast-lane-over-the-open-web

quote:

June 4, 2014

Hundreds of Cities Are Wired With Fiber—But Telecom Lobbying Keeps It Unused

The reasons vary by city, but in many cases, the reason you can't get gigabit internet speeds—without the threat of that service being provided by a company that wants to discriminate against certain types of traffic—is because of the giant telecom businesses that want to kill net neutrality in the first place.

According to MuniNetworks, a group that tracks community access to fiber nationwide, at least 20 states have laws or other regulatory barriers that make it illegal or difficult for communities to offer fiber access to their residents. Even in states where there are no official rules, non-compete agreements between government and big business are common.

San Francisco's average internet speeds don't even rank in the top 100 municipalities in the country, but, like many other places, most of the city is wired with municipal fiber that's used by government officials, police stations, and city colleges. In 2008, the city made some of that network available to low-rise public housing projects, but still doesn't offer fiber to its other residents.

quote:

A Revolving Door of Telecom Lobbyists Is Paving a Fast Lane Over the Open Web

The telecom industry—which sees those fast lanes as a potentially massive source of profit—has persistently fought for business-friendly rules that allow for bandwidth throttling, the practice of giving preference to some kinds of traffic over others. In the meanwhile, it wormed a business-friendly crew of pro-telecom pencil pushers into the highest offices, ingratiating itself to the Democratic party through fundraisers and campaign donations. Comcast and Verizon alone have donated at least $1 million to Obama during the last elections.

"The telecoms and other businesses have engaged in tried and true regulatory capture tactics," David Segal, the chairman of Demand Progress, wrote me in an email, "by becoming massive donors to politicians who have oversight over the agencies, by spending untold millions each year on lobbying, and by offering jobs to people who've recently held regulatory posts."

That's no exaggeration. The FCC is a greased-up a revolving a door of ex-telecom industry personnel. According to OpenSecrets.org, "18 people have both lobbied for Comcast and spent time in the public sector. Of those, 12 are currently registered lobbyists for Comcast, with five of them having spent time at the FCC." Conversely, there are at least four workers in Wheeler's office alone that have either lobbied directly for Comcast, a trade group that represents its interests, or a law firm that advises the company.

So how corrupted is the office charged to protect consumers from telecom monopolists and traffic profiteers? How bad is it, really? According to the watchdog group LittleSis.org, which maintains a "free database of who-knows-who at the heights of business and government," it's about as bad as it gets. Kevin Connor, the org's co-founder, used LittleSis's new mapping tool, which is currently in beta, to whip up a chart of the interconnected FCC-telecom lovefest transpiring in just Wheeler's office alone for Motherboard:

"The FCC might as well be a subsidiary of Comcast, once you map out the org chart," Connor told me. "The regulators used to work for the industry, they will in the future, and they think they do right now. So they make the policy work for the industry, and that's how you get proposals like this one."

Let's begin, again, with Thomas Wheeler—follow along on the chart above! The Sunlight Foundation, a "nonpartisan resource for tracking Congress," nicely summarizes Wheeler's long history and deep ties with the telecom industry: "Deemed the 'Bo Jackson' of the communications world by a President Obama, Wheeler had played nearly every position in the telecom industry by the time he was nominated to Chair the agency."

He was the head of the CTIA, the wireless industry's largest lobbying group. "In addition to presiding over the CTIA and, before that, the National Cable Television Association (NCTA), Wheeler was a managing director at a venture capital firm and a co-founder of SmartBrief," Sunlight explains. The NCTA, of course, has heavy ties to Comcast. While Wheeler was steering the telecom industry's lobbying operations, he also happened to be a major bundler for Obama's election campaigns. Between the 2008 and 2012 elections, he raised around $1 million and hosted high-profile fundraisers.

No wonder net neutrality advocates fumed when Obama handed Wheeler the keys to the FCC. As soon as he got them, Wheeler also opened the door for a cadre of pro-industry players that joined his team, including Ruth Milkman, Wheeler's chief of staff. Milkman is an attorney, formerly of Lawler, Metzger, Milkman, and Kenney, a firm that now represents Comcast. While she was on board, it lobbied on behalf of Sprint Nextel, too.

Or how about Philip Verveer, Wheeler's senior counsel? He used to work for Willkie Farr & Gallagher, when the law firm was Comcast's "principal regulatory counsel," according to the National Law Journal. The article notes that Verveer "has been involved with the cellular phone industry since its inception." He's lawyered for Sprint, too, and before joining the FCC, held a high post in the CTIA.

The list goes on. It's almost a pointless exercise to connect the dots if they're just going to create giant, blurry blob of ink that engulfs both Comcast and the FCC. Daniel Alvarez, another member of Wheeler's legal council, worked at the Comcast-representing Willkie Farr, too. Maria Kirby hails from Davis Polk, "one of the most active law firms advising major media and telecommunications companies." Diane Kirby, Wheeler's special counsel, was the vice president of regulatory policy at CTIA.

"Wheeler was a cable lobbyist. Comcast spent at least $19 million lobbying last year, and its PAC has already spent more than $2 million this cycle," Segal says. "How can the public interest possibly compete with all of that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
This is what happened when the industry lost its control of the FCC for six months. The six months before they bought Wheelers access to control the FCC.

It turns out that you can get work done when your secret bosses arent telling you not to do things.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/4/5065070/the-brief-ridiculously-productive-reign-of-fcc-chairwoman-mignon-clyburn

quote:

The brief, ridiculously productive reign of FCC Chairwoman Mignon Clyburn

The interim boss tackled a huge workload in her six-month stint

Clyburn was already jumping into action at her first commission meeting as boss, announcing licensing for the so-called H Block, 10MHz of precious spectrum in the same PCS range used by all four national carriers. (The auction for the H Block has more recently been set for January of next year.) New spectrum in a frequency range that can be readily employed by wireless carriers for broadband data is a rarity, and when the FCC announces an auction for it, it’s a milestone event. And in July, it laid down a proposal for selling off a bundle of spectrum known as AWS-3, a band that’s been in limbo since former chairman Kevin Martin tried to turn it into a pornography-free, no-cost wireless internet service several years ago.

Just days later, Clyburn’s FCC signed off on an epic three-way transaction transferring control of Clearwire to Sprint and Sprint to Japan’s SoftBank, giving the nation’s third-largest carrier the support (and cash) it needed to bolster flagging operations. That transaction eventually led to the recent announcement of Spark, a multi-band LTE network that Sprint promises could deliver speeds of up to 60Mbps. To be sure, the decision under previous FCC chairman Julius Genachowski to block AT&T’s purchase of T-Mobile USA was just as important — if not more so — but he did so in a four-year tenure. For Clyburn, the decision to approve or reject one of the largest deals in telecommunications history fell on her commission less than two months into a six-month lame duck stint.

Clyburn also oversaw the creation of new rules for phone calls that inmates make from prisons, the culmination of a decade-long fight with service providers where monopolies and a captive audience (literally) have led to absurdly high rates — rates that, as the FCC pointed out in an August ruling, prevented some low-income families from staying connected. Clyburn’s commission capped the per-minute rate for long distance from prison phones, tying fees to market rates; previously, many prisoners had been paying multiple dollars simply to make a connection. In the wake of the ruling, some providers are threatening to sue the FCC.

At times, it seemed as though Clyburn was looking to solve virtually every controversy on the FCC’s plate — a tall order for an organization that attracts it almost constantly. She sounded support for wireless customers to be able to legally unlock their phones. Under her charge, the Commission put a pause to Verizon’s controversial plan to discontinue landline service on New York’s Fire Island and replace it entirely with cellular. And, perhaps most incredibly of all, she helped usher in 700MHz interoperability, a sticky issue that has plagued smaller carriers for years.

And with just days to go until Wheeler’s swearing in to office, Clyburn oversaw a set of actions aimed at completely overhauling (and saving) AM radio, and — practically on her way out of the door — a proposal to dump federal sports blackout rules, the bane of TV-watching football and baseball fans everywhere.

At times, it seemed as though Clyburn was looking to solve virtually every controversy on the FCC’s plate — a tall order for an organization that attracts it almost constantly. She sounded support for wireless customers to be able to legally unlock their phones. Under her charge, the Commission put a pause to Verizon’s controversial plan to discontinue landline service on New York’s Fire Island and replace it entirely with cellular. And, perhaps most incredibly of all, she helped usher in 700MHz interoperability, a sticky issue that has plagued smaller carriers for years.

And with just days to go until Wheeler’s swearing in to office, Clyburn oversaw a set of actions aimed at completely overhauling (and saving) AM radio, and — practically on her way out of the door — a proposal to dump federal sports blackout rules, the bane of TV-watching football and baseball fans everywhere.

• Locked thread