Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
usps rant: My accident happened because the oval office guzzling whore wouldn't loan me a pen to fill out the form. There wasnt one in the truck, so I decided to drive home.

brake chat: My new bike cost 17 dollars for sintered pads. front and rear.

E: WOO page 3.

ehh uhhh I beat a traffic ticket in court today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Remember my super responsible friend who decided that bankruptcy wasn't the answer refinanced her original loan instead?

Car got repoed tonight.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
http://www.airportacura.com/certified/Acura/2011-Acura-TSX+Sport+Wagon-Cleveland-75db6fae0a0a00de16b02dede7dbcd63.htm

You guys think this is worth taking a look at? I've kind of wanted a wagon for awhile but I'm wary of the mileage.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Centric premium 120 series rotors have the coated hat and vanes. Mine are like 5 years old and still look good. Go to centricparts.com and click "select your vehicle" to look up part numbers.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Forgot how tedious it is to paint an engine. And the engine is about the only part of this truck I give a drat about aside from safety-related stuff so I'm not letting myself half-rear end it (for comparison I painted my wrong-coloured junkyard door in 15 minutes, using a gloved hand in front of the rattlecan nozzle to mask the glass). Thought I'd have it nearly done but I only got the intake, TB and a bunch of brackets done.
Had my first fishing trip over the weekend, had no idea how much fun that poo poo is. Walleye were biting steady all day (cold rear end lake so they never left the shallows), we caught 6 smaller walleye and 3 5-7 pound pike. I could have doubled that with a lighter action rod since I'm a bit lacking in finesse but I'm happy I pulled anything out at all.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Tommychu posted:

Forgot how tedious it is to paint an engine. And the engine is about the only part of this truck I give a drat about aside from safety-related stuff so I'm not letting myself half-rear end it (for comparison I painted my wrong-coloured junkyard door in 15 minutes, using a gloved hand in front of the rattlecan nozzle to mask the glass). Thought I'd have it nearly done but I only got the intake, TB and a bunch of brackets done.
Had my first fishing trip over the weekend, had no idea how much fun that poo poo is. Walleye were biting steady all day (cold rear end lake so they never left the shallows), we caught 6 smaller walleye and 3 5-7 pound pike. I could have doubled that with a lighter action rod since I'm a bit lacking in finesse but I'm happy I pulled anything out at all.
Pro(lazy)tip: roll the window down, no masking required :v:

(Only really works if the door isn't hung yet)

blk
Dec 19, 2009

goatse guy posted:

I am getting paid 2.5x what I made at my old job to do even less work. Something feels wrong about this. I also get to hang out with my dog all day. It's weird.

What magical job is this?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Well that was cool, heard a noise and walked out into the hall to find a bat circling the living room/future master bedroom area. Poor bastard came in through the window and couldn't figure out how to get back out so I gradually herded him out the front door in between ducking to avoid a collision.

Having my own indoor flying mouse air force is cool and all but I didn't want him to die and he was fading fast without bugs to eat. They really are the cutest little buggers.

E: if you hate bats
they eat tons of mosquitoes. The enemy of my enemy is my friend...
they are basically mice with wings that don't shred everything in your pantry.
and they are rarely rabid, usually just lost.

kastein fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 3, 2014

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Shampoo posted:

Can't get an IT manager job without IT management experience. Can't get IT management experience without being an IT Manager. :psyduck:

How do you know you want to be an IT Manager if you've never been one?

I'm partially joking, but also kind of serious, as I've basically got two options: keep skilling up or management. Skilling up has a lower cap, but I get to keep doing the stuff that I got into IT for in the first place and I'm already a lead so I get all of the benefits of leading a team without having to deal with the HR BS like so and so said something mean to me and I want it to stop. But management could mean making a bigger impact.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
There was a bat sleeping on a floor joist in the basement of the farmhouse last week. Right behind the washer/dryer, so you had to go say hello to Mr. Batley every time we did laundry. He didn't move for like 36 hours, then I realized that the lights were on the whole time and that was probably loving the poor little guy up. I turned off the lights and 3 hours later he had moved on. He buzzed me a few times one morning when I went to unload the dryer, which was pretty unnerving at first, but you get used to it.

My wife flat-out refused to enter the basement without proof that Mr. Batley was either gone or dead.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Idiot.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Looks like the new meds are working. 2 days in a row of blood pressure around 125/85. Blood sugar is still :stare: (just measured 177), but not :stonk: high (like when I measured 315).

Downside is I suddenly have the appetite of a horse; I think all the weight I've lost is going to re-appear.

mariooncrack posted:

http://www.airportacura.com/certified/Acura/2011-Acura-TSX+Sport+Wagon-Cleveland-75db6fae0a0a00de16b02dede7dbcd63.htm

You guys think this is worth taking a look at? I've kind of wanted a wagon for awhile but I'm wary of the mileage.

48k is something to be wary of? :stare:

It's a 3 (model) year old vehicle; that puts it at 16k a year. Which is a little above the US average of 12k/year.

It's entirely possible it's a 2011, built and sold in 2010. Which would put it right at 12k/year.

The K24 in that should run for 250k+ with nothing more than maintenance. It's a proven engine that's used in drat near everything Honda makes (that's not a Fit or non-Si Civic).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 3, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

No poo poo. Aside from the K24, the transmission is the regular Hondamatic that they sorted out years ago, and while the TSX is nicely equipped it doesn't go overboard on gadgets that might fail like a Mercedes or BMW. It's a badge engineered and loaded up European Accord Wagon.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Mat_Drinks posted:

How do you know you want to be an IT Manager if you've never been one?

I'm partially joking, but also kind of serious, as I've basically got two options: keep skilling up or management. Skilling up has a lower cap, but I get to keep doing the stuff that I got into IT for in the first place and I'm already a lead so I get all of the benefits of leading a team without having to deal with the HR BS like so and so said something mean to me and I want it to stop. But management could mean making a bigger impact.

I really have no desire to skill up further as a support monkey. I'm a senior level computer janitor, and skilling up means picking another route and basically starting over, or going to management. I'd love to manage a small to medium sized support department and be able to improve the skills of the people under me and such. What I'd really like would be the head of IT for an organization in 15- 20 years time, but I'm not sure how realistic that goal is given the trouble I'm having breaking in.

I know, I know, it's mostly networking and word of mouth, but I don't know anyone in the location where I want to work. The real answer is probably suck it up and try and get a low level IT team lead or something job around here for a few years.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just spent 90 minutes looking for a bundle of cables in the wrong ceiling because someone was off by an entire hallway when they marked the print.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

blk posted:

What magical job is this?

I'm "working" for my dad.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just spent 90 minutes looking for a bundle of cables in the wrong ceiling because someone was off by an entire hallway when they marked the print.

:haw: civil engineers, etc etc.

I think my favorite story like that is a company that was doing all the cementwork for the entire floor of a new super walmart... they laid everything out, poured the cement, finished it, all looked awesome. Inspector shows up, takes one look at the plans and the new floor, goes "well that's some really nice work and it looks great, but..." and turns the plans around "... it's supposed to be like this." They built the entire pad turned 180 degrees from how it was supposed to be. With all the foot locations, plumbing, conduit, rebar stands, etc cast into stone, literally.

Company had to eat the costs of redoing the entire thing, IIRC.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

It's a 3 (model) year old vehicle; that puts it at 16k a year. Which is a little above the US average of 12k/year.

It's entirely possible it's a 2011, built and sold in 2010. Which would put it right at 12k/year.

The K24 in that should run for 250k+ with nothing more than maintenance. It's a proven engine that's used in drat near everything Honda makes (that's not a Fit or non-Si Civic).

I probably should have specified that it wasn't the mileage per say but the mileage in what seems like a short period of time. It's reassuring to know that it should be a reliable car.

IOwnCalculus posted:

No poo poo. Aside from the K24, the transmission is the regular Hondamatic that they sorted out years ago, and while the TSX is nicely equipped it doesn't go overboard on gadgets that might fail like a Mercedes or BMW. It's a badge engineered and loaded up European Accord Wagon.

That's good to know. I think I'm going to go take a look at it later this week. Anything that I should be wary of on these? I've never owned a luxury car before.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

I think my favorite story like that is a company that was doing all the cementwork for the entire floor of a new super walmart... they laid everything out, poured the cement, finished it, all looked awesome. Inspector shows up, takes one look at the plans and the new floor, goes "well that's some really nice work and it looks great, but..." and turns the plans around "... it's supposed to be like this." They built the entire pad turned 180 degrees from how it was supposed to be. With all the foot locations, plumbing, conduit, rebar stands, etc cast into stone, literally.

I heard about this before (probably from you in another thread), but it still blows my mind. That is a colossal gently caress up.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'm looking for brake rotors that don't suck, won't rust like a motherfucker, and won't cost me a hundred bucks a rotor. Any of you fine gentlemen have any suggestions? Are Raybestos worth a drat anymore? For a 2000 camaro by the way.

Already said but look for rotors that have a zinc coating or other plating on them. I'm running Zimmerman plated rotors on my wagon and they still look new after 2 years. They were under $50 each. In April the tire shop thought I just did a brake job, and were surprised when I told them the brakes had 30k miles on them. My Akebono pads are wearing nicely too obviously.

The nicest part of the plated rotors is they're clean and dry when you install them, you don't have to wash them down to get sticky rust protection off of them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mariooncrack posted:

That's good to know. I think I'm going to go take a look at it later this week. Anything that I should be wary of on these? I've never owned a luxury car before.

Honestly, nothing. My brother-in-law had a TSX sedan for a few years and the most trouble it ever gave him was I think some speaker issues - though I can't say that wasn't user over-volume induced error either :v:

Like I said, it's not a luxury car in the same vein as anything European, or even a high-end Lexus. A regular Accord with all of the options checked will be extremely similar in features, just in a bigger car with an H on the front instead of an A. You're never going to have to deal with GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM, vacuum-operated anything, timing chains on the wrong side of the engine, etc.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Shampoo posted:

I really have no desire to skill up further as a support monkey. I'm a senior level computer janitor, and skilling up means picking another route and basically starting over, or going to management. I'd love to manage a small to medium sized support department and be able to improve the skills of the people under me and such. What I'd really like would be the head of IT for an organization in 15- 20 years time, but I'm not sure how realistic that goal is given the trouble I'm having breaking in.

I know, I know, it's mostly networking and word of mouth, but I don't know anyone in the location where I want to work. The real answer is probably suck it up and try and get a low level IT team lead or something job around here for a few years.

Not to be a dick or anything, but in my experience, you are going to have to progress past being a support monkey before you will move into a role like IT manager. Unless you are able to pretty much run the IT department by yourself(technically, not work load related), you are probably not ready for that position. Granted I could very well be wrong, as I have been out of that part of the IT world for a while.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Looks like that wagon sold.

Oh well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

I just got back from Italy, so this gif was initially "so what?"

In Rome my taxi got passed on the sidewalk.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I really want to go to Italy but my wife doesn't have enough vacation time and doesn't want to take unpaid leave. I might end up going without her since she's already been anyways, but I would so much rather prefer to be with her.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

kastein posted:

God drat that blows. We finally finished roughing the cables in. One of them was labeled "Up High" instead of a number.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
loving UPS. I ordered tires yesterday and they told me the delivery date is tomorrow (Wednesday). UPS showed up and tried to deliver them today, while I am home, and didn't ring the doorbell and just left a failure notification on the door. Thanks guys :rolleyes:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Nodoze posted:

loving UPS. I ordered tires yesterday and they told me the delivery date is tomorrow (Wednesday). UPS showed up and tried to deliver them today, while I am home, and didn't ring the doorbell and just left a failure notification on the door. Thanks guys :rolleyes:

FedEx did this to me with a phone delivery. Apparently sperglords in the cell phone forum didn't understand why on EARTH it was an annoyance that a signature required item was delivered earlier than anticipated. I guess it's cool if you get to sit in your boxers all day working from home but I REALLY REALLY can't wait until they start tracking vehicles better. I'd even pay extra to know exactly when I need to be around to sign for poo poo.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Nodoze posted:

Sorry mate, but every time I see one of these stories, it makes me appreciate that my work will accept personal packages, and I can swing by the loading dock to get them at any time. There is usually 5 or 6 sets of tires there all the time from all the car guys.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
This is why I just have things delivered to my office now, because I know that receiving will always be there.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

When I was in sicily we were on a city bus that was passing stopped traffic in the oncoming lane. He would just drive in the wrong lane, and when a car came at us he just pushed his way back into the correct lane. This was on a 2 lane street and everyone seemed completely fine with that as well.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Brigdh posted:

Sorry mate, but every time I see one of these stories, it makes me appreciate that my work will accept personal packages, and I can swing by the loading dock to get them at any time. There is usually 5 or 6 sets of tires there all the time from all the car guys.

This is what we do at my work too. Owns.

I can't wait to have six of these blingin' 20"s sent here :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
blk, get her to take unpaid leave. Italy is lovely, she must go with you.

Negromancer posted:

When I was in sicily we were on a city bus that was passing stopped traffic in the oncoming lane. He would just drive in the wrong lane, and when a car came at us he just pushed his way back into the correct lane. This was on a 2 lane street and everyone seemed completely fine with that as well.

One of our taxi drivers in Rome used the oncoming lanes' taxi lane instead of his own, then honked repeatedly at anything attempting to enter that lane from the correct direction because a Jersey barrier prevented him from returning to the right side of traffic until he had finished.

We got a Peugeot 5008 in Naples at 3am to get to the airport and he didn't get out of boost until we were at the airport parking lot getting honked and sworn at by the tiny street sweeper he drove the wrong way down a roundabout to pass.

I sorta wish I could just take Italian taxis all day because it was like an autocross ridealong with much less skill and way more terror. What a country.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kastein posted:

We did pretty much this on an install, put the drat system in facing the wrong way. Nothing like installing a system twice because the customer decided they wanted the front graphic facing a different direction

Flight is boarding now for Amsterdam... Still can't believe I'm headed to Germany for 8 weeks to babysit a couple sites. Time to slam a few drinks then pass out for 8 hours.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 3, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009

AI posted:

Backwards constructions

This is Gund Hall, Harvard's Graduate School of Design.

The photo shows the front of the building, facing the street.

When you turn the corner, you notice something interesting:

A pretty big-deal-pay-attention-to-me glass facade facing straight at the building next door.

If you go into the small alley/courtyard space between the two buildings, you see this:

Which was originally supposed to be the front of the building.

They built the building on a 180 degree rotation because they realized the afternoon and evening light would shift too much for the people inside. This beautiful glass slope that defines the building was pointed at a brick wall instead, and the back of the building, which was originally supposed to be services, loading dock, etc was pointed towards the street.

Here's the inside:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

blk, get her to take unpaid leave. Italy is lovely, she must go with you.

Also, go to sicily if you can. Taormina is one of the most amazingly beautiful places that I have ever been. Catania is pretty awesome as well, but much more of a normal city compared to Taormina.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What's the approved method of reply to someone who legitimately asked me to turn down Holy Diver on the radio?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

13 INCH DICK posted:

What's the approved method of reply to someone who legitimately asked me to turn down Holy Diver on the radio?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLkmcOpXNvY&t=25s

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

13 INCH DICK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPAZvxmLfcQ

Just replace "yospos" with "my car".

• Locked thread