Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

trouser chili posted:

Oh, and I haven't paid even so much as a dime for it.

So what's the catch? If you can change the brakes you get to keep it, like Arthur and Excalibur?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Oh. Oh my.

That is one bitchin' sounding cash black hole.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
AI has made terrible decisions in the past month, and it is glorious.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Oh just wait. If things go according to plan, the next bad decision is likely to be beyond insanity. I really don't want to say anything because it may not come to fruition. There are a lot of variables. Right now the plan with the V8Quattro is to recondition it and sell it. If that happens...well the next big thing represents what is quite possibly one of the most tempting worst automotive decisions available today.

Also, I'm hoping to not sell the V8Q too fast, cause there is a RallyX next month and I sold the RallyNova to Crazy Teremus.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

trouser "13 Inch Biturbo" chili

Godspeed you glorious bastard. I've come close to making some terrible/awesome purchases this past month; the first I just plain didn't move fast enough on, the second I got cold feet because the seller went unresponsive.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Hahahahaha you poor loving bastard ahahahahahah.

Don't let any water into the interior. That white pearl also cannot be inexpensively repaired, it needs whole car blends for even a replacement door.

I got screwed out of a similarly pearl white UrS4 earlier this year and when I recovered from the anger I actually realized what I had dodged. It was like being late to work on 9/11.

Good luck because man am I ever going to be jealous of you when you drive it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 29, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Anyone going to Joliet to catch the races tomorrow?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

trouser chili posted:

Oh, and it sounds glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iMuj6wl4sk

I can just sit in the driveway and listen to that over and over again. It's really quite a hoot.

The sweet siren call of a call that will ruin you :allears:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So I'm getting married in 12 hours, and since my car is still at the dealer after a month and a half the cool dudes at Enterprise put me into a V6 2014 Mustang for the weekend.

Way better than taking my bride home in a loving Nissan Versa.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hahahahaha you poor loving bastard ahahahahahah.

Pretty much this. Those 'discs' cost about $1500 each here and they warp pretty quickly because it turns out making a disc shaped like a drum makes it useless at dissipating heat.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Slavvy posted:

Pretty much this. Those 'discs' cost about $1500 each here and they warp pretty quickly because it turns out making a disc shaped like a drum makes it useless at dissipating heat.

Which is probably why so many of them got converted to conventional discs.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
The article linked says that the reason was that the whole assembly had to fit inside a 15" wheel. I know we're in the early 90's, but really? 15" wheels on a flagship sedan?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

trouser chili posted:

Meet my latest retarded decision.

You got that right.

(looks awesome. godspeed, you idiot.)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

trouser chili posted:

UFO brakes

Of course they're warped to poo poo.

Wow, I haven't even seen a mention of UFO brakes in over 15 years. Those were garbage time/money sinks when new and only lasted what... 2 years? Huge failed experiment that were pains in the rear end when new to service... are parts still available at non-rape prices?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

There needs to be a 24/7 food delivery service here.

Or at least something 24/7 within walking distance. :350::hf::cripes:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sun's coming up. The perfect day to go for a Sunday drive.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CharlesM posted:

Sun's coming up. The perfect day to go for a Sunday drive.

Way ahead of you. Checked out the VW Museum in Wolfsburg...pretty underwhelming. If you're a huge beetle/bug nerd then it would be heaven but overall for me it was a pretty 'meh' experience. Now I need to find food, preferably a restaurant I haven't tried yet which is getting difficult.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I went to the MB museum in Stuttgart. It's cool, in my opinion. I had limited time so I didn't go to the Porsche museum. My friend says the MB one is better 'cause it's that cool new building. That's pretty far from Wolfsburg though. In Dresden there is the factory where they make the Phateon and you can take a tour. The building is all glass and stuff. I didn't have time to do that one. I've never driven in Europe so maybe you can get around really fast on the autobahn. I dunno.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I think I half-way blew out a knee last night skanking.

I am too old to skank now.

I miss my college years.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CharlesM posted:

I went to the MB museum in Stuttgart. It's cool, in my opinion. I had limited time so I didn't go to the Porsche museum. My friend says the MB one is better 'cause it's that cool new building. That's pretty far from Wolfsburg though. In Dresden there is the factory where they make the Phateon and you can take a tour. The building is all glass and stuff. I didn't have time to do that one. I've never driven in Europe so maybe you can get around really fast on the autobahn. I dunno.
When Dad arrives in a couple weeks we're going to hit the Merc, Porsche and BMW museums...possibly Audi as well. You can get around pretty quick with the autobahn if your car is up to it (my rental isn't).

Next weekend is the Hanover Schützenfest which is a massive party and marksmen's tournament. I'm missing July 4th in the US but this should be pretty amazing.

angryhampster posted:

I miss my college years.
Skanking can be pretty hard on the body

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

bolind posted:

The article linked says that the reason was that the whole assembly had to fit inside a 15" wheel. I know we're in the early 90's, but really? 15" wheels on a flagship sedan?

We're talking about the Germans here. When the problem is "We need larger brakes", the obvious and simple solution (fit larger wheels) does not come to mind. Instead, the German engineer gets a techno-boner and creates an overtly complicated and difficult solution with significant other drawbacks.

meatpimp posted:

...are (brake) parts still available at non-rape prices?

How do I put this? Parts are not available at non-rape prices. That is to say; Parts are not available. Those found NOS come at hate rape prices. Fortunately the UFOs on the car are actually quite new, so I just need to find someone that can turn them. It's also my understanding that the underbody tray on the v8q is an integral component of the brakes as it's designed to throw air at them and keep them cool. My car is missing the underbody tray. I might try to find a way to throw more air at the brakes.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

angryhampster posted:

I miss my college years.

Skanking is easy in your college years. I, for one, am glad to be done.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

trouser chili posted:

We're talking about the Germans here. When the problem is "We need larger brakes", the obvious and simple solution (fit larger wheels) does not come to mind. Instead, the German engineer gets a techno-boner and creates an overtly complicated and difficult solution with significant other drawbacks.

Exhibit 2: the Audi 1.8T emissions and turbo management system.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

When Dad arrives in a couple weeks we're going to hit the Merc, Porsche and BMW museums...possibly Audi as well. You can get around pretty quick with the autobahn if your car is up to it (my rental isn't).

Next weekend is the Hanover Schützenfest which is a massive party and marksmen's tournament. I'm missing July 4th in the US but this should be pretty amazing.

Skanking can be pretty hard on the body

The MB museum is pretty awesome. I would also include the Sinsheim Auto und Technik Museum on your tour. I think that's the full name...just Google sinsheim museum. It is the most awesome and impressive collection of cars, trucks, planes, motorcycles, race cars/bikes, and military hardware I've ever seen.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

angryhampster posted:

Every time I go to a ska show, I wonder how the kids around me have the energy to keep dancing like spastic retards for three hours. I avoid the dance floor now after getting a fist to the face during a Big D and the Kids Table set.

Trouser Chili, I'm sorry for your new purchase. I've got two friends through my VW club that own 20V Audis, and both of them own several -- one to drive, and more for hoarding parts.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

bandman posted:

The MB museum is pretty awesome. I would also include the Sinsheim Auto und Technik Museum on your tour. I think that's the full name...just Google sinsheim museum. It is the most awesome and impressive collection of cars, trucks, planes, motorcycles, race cars/bikes, and military hardware I've ever seen.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll add it to the list and see if we can hit it. Planning on checking out the Deutsches Technikmuseum in two weeks, hopefully spend the whole weekend exploring Berlin.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

trouser chili posted:

How do I put this? Parts are not available at non-rape prices. That is to say; Parts are not available. Those found NOS come at hate rape prices. Fortunately the UFOs on the car are actually quite new, so I just need to find someone that can turn them. It's also my understanding that the underbody tray on the v8q is an integral component of the brakes as it's designed to throw air at them and keep them cool. My car is missing the underbody tray. I might try to find a way to throw more air at the brakes.

Try the ol' standby first -- multiple, hard, high-speed stops giving the brakes no time to cool down. This was the go-to solution for warping when they were newer, since everything about working on them is a jumblefuck. Also, I think someone found a later version of VAG disc brakes that basically bolt on without requiring strut assembly replacement.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My buddy came over last night to get some help replacing the broken e-brake cable in the Comanche he just picked up. He paid a lot but it's pretty clean. It has new paint and only minimal surface rust under the carpet. Hey Kastein, what kind of V8's can you swap into MJ's? That'd be cooler than an S10 with a 350 or a Ranger with a 302 like I was thinking about getting once my car is paid off in a few months.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Super Aggro Crag posted:

what kind of V8's can you swap into MJ's?

The correct answer is "build a 4.6 stroker".

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Or a 401ci AMC v8, with a 6-71 on top.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

That thing looks really clean. I've always loved those Jeeps and have been close to buying one a few times. Think it may be my second favorite pickup, after the mk1 VW Caddy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
V8 swaps aren't real easy on them. Easier with the auto trans that came behind the donor motor... which rules out mopars, I would say stuff an lm7/4l60e in it for bang/buck ratio.

It is going to involve a lot of custom fab and cost several thousand in parts alone unless he knows exactly what he is doing.

I would go 4.5 stroker over 4.6, they are almost all factory parts. 401 would be nice, will even bolt directly to the auto or manual in a 4.0 jeep, from my info, but probably require a ton of custom stuff regardless.

What does he intend to do with it? That thing is way too clean for offroad IMO, unless he never touches rocks or trees. Looks beautiful.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

Try the ol' standby first -- multiple, hard, high-speed stops giving the brakes no time to cool down. This was the go-to solution for warping when they were newer, since everything about working on them is a jumblefuck. Also, I think someone found a later version of VAG disc brakes that basically bolt on without requiring strut assembly replacement.
This would be a good idea, I think - I'll add that the principle is that you brake down to a slow speed, but don't stop, accelerating back up to do it again, repeating several times. Stop-Tech have a very good article on their site about brake bedding: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/bed-in-theory-definitions-and-procedures/stock-brake-system-bed-in.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Had an amazing time at a steam fair today.
Got to see a whole bunch of neat steam engines, classic vehicles, tank displays and ride in a monster truck

Even Rovers got to join in the fun

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

kastein posted:

V8 swaps aren't real easy on them. Easier with the auto trans that came behind the donor motor... which rules out mopars, I would say stuff an lm7/4l60e in it for bang/buck ratio.

It is going to involve a lot of custom fab and cost several thousand in parts alone unless he knows exactly what he is doing.

I would go 4.5 stroker over 4.6, they are almost all factory parts. 401 would be nice, will even bolt directly to the auto or manual in a 4.0 jeep, from my info, but probably require a ton of custom stuff regardless.

What does he intend to do with it? That thing is way too clean for offroad IMO, unless he never touches rocks or trees. Looks beautiful.

I meant of I buy one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

freelop posted:

Had an amazing time at a steam fair today.
Got to see a whole bunch of neat steam engines, classic vehicles, tank displays and ride in a monster truck

Even Rovers got to join in the fun

Scammell Explorers are ace. I want one.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Didn't you mention a thing a while back where the 4-cylinder bellhousing in some Cherokees bolts up to an LS4? Is that a thing with the Comanche?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It is, but that particular swap is one of those "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" ones. The engine makes 325 foot pounds stock and the trans is only rated for 300. Baby it and it will live.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I meant of I buy one.

Let me know when. You want an ls, gm auto or manual, and some transfer case.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

And really if you're doing a V8 swap in an XJ/MJ, babying it probably isn't something you're interested in.
Welp, what a lovely day. Too rainy/late to work on the Kia, the R/C blew up again (2 week old motor controller is in the mail for warranty), my friends are all working/busy/vacationing, there's nothing to fix on my ghetto hifi/HTPC setup anymore, and I'm too broke and tired to do much of anything else. I've been watching Regular Car Reviews and CollegeHumor videos in my bed all drat day and feeling like a bag of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

trouser chili posted:

Unbolt UFO parts. Convert to regular discs. Sell UFO parts. Profit.

You're welcome.

• Locked thread