Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

It's purely speculation at this point. Still got about 5 months left on my car loan and I gotta fix a bunch of stuff first.

My gateway is being a PITA. I have a Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 modem + router. It's one of the ones Comcast uses for their Xfinity service. The firmware it shipped out with sucks and has constant wifi problems. Dropped connections and extremely slow connections when it even works at all. It works great on all the wired connections.

You can't update the firmware yourself and Comcast is supposed to push it out for you. I talked to them today and the dude said they don't have the ability to do it and to call Motorola. They are closed on Sundays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

InitialDave posted:

Scammell Explorers are ace. I want one.

The articulation of each wheel was very impressive and they managed to get one to pull about 200 tonnes.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My gateway is being a PITA. I have a Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 modem + router. It's one of the ones Comcast uses for their Xfinity service. The firmware it shipped out with sucks and has constant wifi problems. Dropped connections and extremely slow connections when it even works at all. It works great on all the wired connections.

You can't update the firmware yourself and Comcast is supposed to push it out for you. I talked to them today and the dude said they don't have the ability to do it and to call Motorola. They are closed on Sundays.

Personally, I'd ditch that and just use it as a modem to pass thru to a real router. Find something that can run Tomato or DDWRT and buy/flash it to that. I'm still using a 10 year old linksys with Tomato on it and it holds up just fine in a household where we torrent/stream everything. I seriously can't remember the last time I had to restart that thing.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Viper_3000 posted:

Personally, I'd ditch that and just use it as a modem to pass thru to a real router. Find something that can run Tomato or DDWRT and buy/flash it to that. I'm still using a 10 year old linksys with Tomato on it and it holds up just fine in a household where we torrent/stream everything. I seriously can't remember the last time I had to restart that thing.

This is 100% the right answer if you can put the Comcast box into bridge mode, let something worthwhile handle the routing and you'll probably never have trouble again. We did this with a cheap router behind one of Virgin's notoriously lovely boxes in a house of 4 nerdy students and never had a hiccup even with 4 of us gaming / torrenting at the same time.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Unbolt UFO parts. Convert to regular discs. Sell UFO parts. Profit.

You're welcome.

This. Surely 25 years of improvements in pad materials offset the smaller conventional rotor diameter, and you (or whoever you sell it to) will actually be able to service the drat thing.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Fucknag posted:

This. Surely 25 years of improvements in pad materials offset the smaller conventional rotor diameter, and you (or whoever you sell it to) will actually be able to service the drat thing.

We'll see. Not sure what all it's going to take to swap. Might be easier to just have the rotors turned.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

trouser chili posted:

We'll see. Not sure what all it's going to take to swap. Might be easier to just have the rotors turned.

I wanna see the brake lathe tooling that can do that. And the look on the face of the service writer of whatever shop you take them to.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If having a shop do things goes anything like what it did for me, that means you will bring your poo poo in, ask them if they can do it and how much, then they will quote you for a regular rotor turn job and say come back tomorrow.

Then they will realize they misquoted a loving weirdo job, panic, not call you back about it, hamfuck their way through it ruining the parts in the process, and stall you for more time than you expected, then charge you the agreed upon price without saying anything.

(This is something I learned when I had to have a shop press some rear wheel bearings for my aunt's 97 rav4. The shop did this, and managed to gently caress up one of the seals so I had to carefully rebend and reseat the seal tension spring at 7pm on a Sunday 200 miles from home so I could go home for sleep/work and she could drive it to work the next day. That was just peachy, really, I needed that.)

(Never do rear wheel bearings on a rav4 firstgen unless you have a press and a lot of patience and random bits of metal to use as press tools. Oh, and I hope you don't mind bleeding brakes and replacing the ebrake cables while you are at it. gently caress.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This was a weird rear end day.

We had our first Cars & Coffee alternate meeting, we met at a local bar so we called it "Cars & Bars." I brought the Miata nd the 6, we had a huge Honda crowd show up. My Civic came up and I thought I'd found a goldmine, this dude has a few of them and has tuned a bunch of their cars himself. Then he asks to see it and I'm like "I brought my Mazdas out today" and he just shuts down and becomes irritated. I guess you're supposed to pick a brand and stick with it? So that may have been a bust. A few of the other Honda guys were nice enough though and offered to help me out if they can.

Meet was good overall, 80 cars, 20 bikes. Threat of rain kept a lot of people at home but it didn't rain a drop.

And to cap it off I find out one of my bartender friends who works there just had a kid 7 weeks early. She was unaware that she was pregnant until she went to the hospital for "severe cramps." I thought that only happened in movies.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Whats got 150 balls and fucks crows?

A shotgun full of #4 shot. That will teach the bastard to steal my wiper blades.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I swear my little brother's RX-8 is the most broken into car in the world. It doesn't help that he splits time between Stockton and Sacramento, but I think we're into double digits for break ins. He's at the point where the whole car is always empty.
Most of the time, they break the glass, but this time, they shimmed the door and tried to hot wire it (it has an immobilizer, so they failed). Most of these have happened in front of my parents house, in a very nice neighborhood where no one else's (much nicer) cars have been broken into since the era of bag phones (last thing stolen from my mom's car).
A: Anyone know why people are trying to steal RX-8s?
B: Are there any alarm systems that are not poo poo? Unfortunately, Sacramento in the summer is 100f+, so pit bull in the passenger seat is a no go.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nm posted:

B: Are there any alarm systems that are not poo poo? Unfortunately, Sacramento in the summer is 100f+, so pit bull in the passenger seat is a no go.

I believe Glock makes the very best in auto security systems.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

It is only effective against car jacking.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

nm posted:

I swear my little brother's RX-8 is the most broken into car in the world. It doesn't help that he splits time between Stockton and Sacramento, but I think we're into double digits for break ins. He's at the point where the whole car is always empty.
Most of the time, they break the glass, but this time, they shimmed the door and tried to hot wire it (it has an immobilizer, so they failed). Most of these have happened in front of my parents house, in a very nice neighborhood where no one else's (much nicer) cars have been broken into since the era of bag phones (last thing stolen from my mom's car).

Garage, or set up a tripwire system with a not-gun under the car that fires .25 cal ramset blanks if tripped.

Probably the former.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nm posted:

Because they need new engines more often than most cars?

Buy blown engine RX8 for a couple grand, steal another rx8, put the good engine into the clean car, torch the engineless stolen car, sell the clean title running rx8 to some teenager for much moneys.

then steal it back and put the engine into the next blown engine RX8 you buy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp, the money I was freaking out about at work turned up.

New assistant manager pulled $100 (from *my* till, without telling me, and without entering anything in the computer to show he'd pulled money out) and jammed it into the safe. By jammed, I mean crammed it through the slot and closed the drop door, instead of using the vinyl envelopes that are supposed to prevent jamming. New manager got a write-up for it.

Opening manager had a fun time getting it back out, especially since the safe flips its poo poo if the door is open more than 1 minute. Store wound up being $1 over for the day instead of $99 short though.

jammyozzy posted:

This is 100% the right answer if you can put the Comcast box into bridge mode, let something worthwhile handle the routing and you'll probably never have trouble again. We did this with a cheap router behind one of Virgin's notoriously lovely boxes in a house of 4 nerdy students and never had a hiccup even with 4 of us gaming / torrenting at the same time.

Alternatively, get another wireless router and put THAT into access point mode, and turn off its DHCP server (or just buy a simple access point) - and just plug it into one of the numbered ports on the router. The wired routing works fine on that lovely Motorola box, so doing that should work fine. Just turn off the wireless on the motorola.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Speaking of, I may be selling my never-fired G38 this month, if anyone's interested (PM me).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

Never work on a 10 series Rav4

FTFY. I hate them so much.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

So my graphics card is currently in the process of violently and repeatedly making GBS threads the bed. I'm waiting on a response from XFX support but it's supposed to have a double lifetime warranty, and supposedly they're pretty cool with decent replacements. I really hope they don't stick me with some shitbox considering how $$$$ this thing was new.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

N is for Nipples posted:

So my graphics card is currently in the process of violently and repeatedly making GBS threads the bed. I'm waiting on a response from XFX support but it's supposed to have a double lifetime warranty, and supposedly they're pretty cool with decent replacements. I really hope they don't stick me with some shitbox considering how $$$$ this thing was new.

What model card is it?

I'll probably be in the market for a new graphics card soon as well. My old HIS 4870 is starting to get REALLY hot when gaming. I don't feel like taking it apart again and cleaning it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

N is for Nipples posted:

In my experience, they'll at least give you a refurbished one of what you have and if they don't they'll upgrade you.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I drove the Juke this weekend. The car is interesting, and would certainly make some control-freak go crazy.

Take a non-linear DBW system and add in the non-linear response of a turbo'd motor. Then, just for fun, add a non-linear CVT to it and you really have to let go of control and have the car do what it's going to do. However, if you do that, it is a fun, peppy, great-in-traffic kind of car. It reminds both my wife and I of her Mini S in feel, responsiveness and fun. That's saying a lot.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's the end of June/beginning of July in the south, and it's been like mid-80s and wonderful out for the previous week and this upcoming week. It's nuts that it's going to be nice and breezy for July 4.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Phone posted:

It's the end of June/beginning of July in the south, and it's been like mid-80s and wonderful out for the previous week and this upcoming week. It's nuts that it's going to be nice and breezy for July 4.

I don't know about where you are, but east Tennessee has had rain every day for the last week for at least a few hours a day. A trend which is likely to continue for the rest of the week. :argh:

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Phone posted:

The humidity, temps, and afternoon thunderstorms in middle TN would have to disagree with you there.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Bosses x5 bmw saga continues. Dealer replaced the water pump and some other poo poo. He picks it up and it's fine.

He's driving to the ski area this weekend. Going up a hill and the rpms start going nutty and the car isn't moving any faster. It comes out of it and they arrive at their destination.

On the return trip, RPMs start going nuts, the thing goes into neutral and they coast to a stop. Refuses to restart. Flatbedded back to the dealer.

Be Em Trouble You

Meanwhile I drove my piece of poo poo wagon 400 miles this weekend built out of questionable junkyard poo poo and rock auto all the things.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I hate when I don't get stickers with my new parts. Bullshit.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Slow is Fast posted:

Bosses x5 bmw saga continues. Dealer replaced the water pump and some other poo poo. He picks it up and it's fine.

He's driving to the ski area this weekend. Going up a hill and the rpms start going nutty and the car isn't moving any faster. It comes out of it and they arrive at their destination.

On the return trip, RPMs start going nuts, the thing goes into neutral and they coast to a stop. Refuses to restart. Flatbedded back to the dealer.

Be Em Trouble You

Meanwhile I drove my piece of poo poo wagon 400 miles this weekend built out of questionable junkyard poo poo and rock auto all the things.

My guess is battery/alternator. Had a similar issue with my e46 that was fixed with a new battery. Did he buy this thing CPO or just from a BMW dealer without warranty?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Slow is Fast posted:

If you bought anything URO brand prepare to watch it disintegrate within the year.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

8ender posted:

If you bought anything URO brand prepare to watch it disintegrate within the year.

He owns a Subaru, wrong axis-powers automotive manufacturer :v:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
But it is true, URO is poo poo. The only thing I've got with URO stamped on it that was worth a gently caress was the trunk and door seals on my W123 240d. They were both too long, and took significant fiddling with to take up the extra slack, but they worked and didn't fall apart over three years.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I would never trust URO suspension or cooling system parts, but they occasionally crank out something decent-I installed a set of their engine mounts in my 240DL a few years ago that were still intact when the car was parted earlier this year. I fully expected that they would fall apart in 6 months but they just kept on trucking. :banjo:

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Anything decent that they produce is a result of the blind squirrel -> nut principle.

Or the "even a broken clock is right twice a day" principle, whichever you prefer.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I've never even heard of URO

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Food chat quick:

I went to a Brazilian steak house a couple of weeks ago, and it was... amazing. Anyways, it just looks like all the meats are grilled on a rotisserie, so now that I need a new grill, I want to buy one where I can do the rotisserie attachment. Obviously, doing whole chickens on it is the first idea, but I was wondering, has any one ever done a beef roast or a pork loin, or any other assorted meats?

The electric rotisserie is only 30 bucks extra, so I would like to see if any one has any input on if its worth getting or not. I know that it will eliminate fat, but I am kinda worried about stuff getting dried out too.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I've had a rotisserie attachment sitting in my basement for a decade now. Never use it. I should though, for I have learned how to make gyro meat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Food chat quick:

I went to a Brazilian steak house a couple of weeks ago, and it was... amazing. Anyways, it just looks like all the meats are grilled on a rotisserie, so now that I need a new grill, I want to buy one where I can do the rotisserie attachment. Obviously, doing whole chickens on it is the first idea, but I was wondering, has any one ever done a beef roast or a pork loin, or any other assorted meats?

The electric rotisserie is only 30 bucks extra, so I would like to see if any one has any input on if its worth getting or not. I know that it will eliminate fat, but I am kinda worried about stuff getting dried out too.

For 30 bucks? seems like a good idea to me! Are you using it on a weber?

There's all sorts of cool poo poo you can make with a rotisserie, think of all the gyros or tacos pastor you can make.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

BraveUlysses posted:

For 30 bucks? seems like a good idea to me! Are you using it on a weber?

There's all sorts of cool poo poo you can make with a rotisserie, think of all the gyros or tacos pastor you can make.

No it would be a LP grill. But it wouldnt be hard to throw chips into foil for the smoky flavor. Currently, in a town home, and not that I mind charcoal by any means, but I would most likely burn the place down.

Edit: I do admit, the idea of making gyro meat is appealing. I did find a couple recipes for the roast chickens that grocery stores make.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 30, 2014

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

kastein posted:

He owns a Subaru, wrong axis-powers automotive manufacturer :v:

My bad. What is the worthless parts equivalent for the Japanese car world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

I've had a rotisserie attachment sitting in my basement for a decade now. Never use it. I should though, for I have learned how to make gyro meat.

Don't forget extra juice. Everyone lika da juice.

• Locked thread