Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Slow is Fast posted:

June DOG thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I just thought it was odd. I've also never done my own rear brakes before which why I asked.

So I bought a 4 corner rotor and pad deal from Protege Garage. $300 for everything. My order came in and has been altered being just rotors. The listing has also been altered to being just rotors now (and $100 more). Dude is insisting it was never a combo. I'm inclined to just return the rotors and go elsewhere right now unless he comes through on the pads.

I've never seen pads sold in anything but a complete set per axle. On the pads/rotor combo don't you have an email with your original order or something? Either way that's BS if there was a deal and now they aren't honoring it, return the stuff and don't buy from them again.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

kastein posted:

:haw: civil engineers, etc etc.

I think my favorite story like that is a company that was doing all the cementwork for the entire floor of a new super walmart... they laid everything out, poured the cement, finished it, all looked awesome. Inspector shows up, takes one look at the plans and the new floor, goes "well that's some really nice work and it looks great, but..." and turns the plans around "... it's supposed to be like this." They built the entire pad turned 180 degrees from how it was supposed to be. With all the foot locations, plumbing, conduit, rebar stands, etc cast into stone, literally.

Company had to eat the costs of redoing the entire thing, IIRC.

We did pretty much this on an install, put the drat system in facing the wrong way. Nothing like installing a system twice because the customer decided they wanted the front graphic facing a different direction

Flight is boarding now for Amsterdam... Still can't believe I'm headed to Germany for 8 weeks to babysit a couple sites. Time to slam a few drinks then pass out for 8 hours.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 3, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I could use some help making a couple of choices. I just moved, so I have no contracts or anything...
Ditch cable, build/buy a cheap media PC then stream everything. I went this route a couple years ago when I bought my house and I don't miss cable at all. When I go home or am in a hotel I remember how lovely 95% of the stuff on cable is. With Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc you really don't miss that much.

If I really feel like watching live sports I head to a sports bar with a few friends.

Geirskogul posted:

Aaaaand it turns out Hagerty...

I wish I could get a quote like that from Hagerty. They're insuring the M3 at the moment for pretty close to 10x that amount, I'm shopping around before I renew in July.

Germany is pretty cool so far. Food and beer is excellent, everything is within walking distance, weather has been great and people tolerate my lovely attempts to speak German. Three day weekend and not being on-call is also pretty sweet. Then there's the cars...holy poo poo the cars over here, I need to start taking photos and dumping them on here. Lots of old Citroen, Unimog, Mercs then all sorts of newer little cars that we don't get in the US.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 7, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I just got back from Italy and stuffed my flickr with clever little European cars. I love the Fiat Panda in particular.

I'll either be getting a Fiat Panda or a VW Polo (both diesel) as my rental next weekend. Other rental is a BMW 1 series race car but that's for the day Dad and I are spending at the Ring.

In the mean time here's two Mercs from today because I am the stupid American :911: taking pictures of cars instead of castles.

The awesome camper has been around for a couple days so I may get more shots of it tomorrow/Monday.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

thegasman2000 posted:

Any goons got a mini? The real one not the BMW shitfest.

My local scrapyard who I work for doing it bits and bibs has one. I really need someone to tell me what to loom for when I view it. It's gonna be a restoration as it's in a scrappy but if there is something too major or expensive I will walk away.

They leak, they rust and their electrical system is poo poo. Other than that they are fun to drive and easy to work on. Old room mate worked on them and has a few between him and his Dad. Great little cars and I'll own one at some point just to beat on for a while.

If it's not rusted to hell pick it up.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Under 30 crew here (28). Had good years and bad years but whatever. I'm working back towards getting into the physical shape I was before the last health fiasco. I'll agree on the 'it's just a number, gently caress it' thing.

I look early 20's at best but have the fun toys and freedom of someone almost 30. It's like a win-win.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ah what a morning, swapped 1228 DIMMs in under 5 hours with just two people. Now we have to wait for chilled water to return (tomorrow) before we can begin testing. I'm hoping for minimal fallout.

Finally used to the time zone difference but still trying to get used to going to bed and waking up later than usual. 6am wide awake with no reason to be for another 2 hours. Guess it gives me more time to practice German before heading in.

Was reminded today the nurburgring 24 hour race is June 19-22. I've under 4 hours away and the sites I'm covering don't have weekend coverage. Looks like I'll watch it in person this year:rock:

thegasman2000 posted:

So do I buy it? Flip or restore? The pain is horrible and someone painted the obligatory chessboard on the roof in acrylic or something.
Buy it then I'll buy it from you and figure out how the hell to get it over to the US. I'm only half joking...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

No desire at all in any way to have kids. A dog is the most responsibility I want and even that's pushing it. Maybe it'll change when I get older but so far it's a big ol NOPE. I'll settle with toys and travel for the time being. I get a dog from Mom as soon as I say I want one.

So this isn't a completely poo poo post here are puppies...

And the father 'protecting' the whelping box, looking slightly startled

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ozmiander posted:

I'm enjoying Path of Exile.
I spent SO much drat time in PoE between winter break and a couple months ago. Enjoyed it but got burnt out from 900+ hours in ~5 months.

Well long crappy day at work finally ended at 8:20. Coworker and I walked to beer garden and started drinking. He's 240lb+ old German dude, I'm 125lb and don't drink much so we're going drink for drink. 2L at piece so far. Tomorrow morning is going to loving suck. There's also some soccer on I guess.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Are you an engineer? If so you'll understand this and it will be way too familiar. If not...oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

T1g4h posted:

Yeah, I really want to pick it up on Steam but i'm having a hard time justifying the price right now :sigh:
Steam summer sale starts on the 19th I believe, I'm hoping it pops up cheap. Otherwise see if hiddenmovement in SA mart can get it for cheaper - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599565

24 Hours of Le Mans starts in about 4 hours. Pretty sure I'll actually be able to watch the whole thing on TV if I want to...yay Europe. I should be out exploring the area and stuff but I really just want to find a place with a comfortable chair that serves food so I can sit and watch the race all weekend.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Das Volk posted:

is anyone watching the 24 hours of le mans?

Of course. I have been unsuccessful in finding a bar/pub to watch it in though which is disappointing. I did talk the hotel manager into running it on the projector for a few hours, something to be said for little mom-n-pop hotels.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

InitialDave posted:

One of our rival companies got in serious trouble over using not-to-spec packaging for parts. At point of use, a cardboard box split, and a couple of hundred small bolts got dropped into a turbine.
Ah ouch. Every couple years out finance people bug our logistics people enough to make them look stupid. Usually it's them bitching about how much it costs to ship out equipment since we only use one company (within the US). So toss a cabinet on a budget shipping service then laugh when the thing shows up destroyed. Last time they did enough damage the cabinet was scrapped as were half the components inside.

Tommychu posted:

I tried a bit of Appleton's to steady my hands so I could solder the Deans connectors onto the motor controller of my Traxxas and ended up Karaoke-ing Paradise by the Dashboard Lights. By myself. In a biker bar. With proper falsetto on the female parts.
I'm pretty sure I won't be drinking rum for a while.
Sounds like a good night to me.

drat German mass transit is pretty awesome, I'm going to have to start using it to explore the country a bit. Hopped on the S-Bahn, arrived at the airport 20 minutes later and picked up my rental car...Opel Corsa 1.4. It is slow, handles like poo poo, isn't very comfortable and will likely be terrifying at 100+ mph but it's my POS for the next few weeks. I think the last week while Dad is here I'm going to swap it for at least a VW Scirocco but thinking maybe a BMW M5/3.

Time to find lunch then settle in for the last hour or so of the LeMans race.

Happy Motherfucker day!

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 15, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Guys anyone have info on how the Fiat 500 compared to the Mini? Not talking the new heavy ones, I'm talking the old tiny ones. See my post in the awesome AI thread but saw and talked to a guy with a semi race prep Fiat 500 and now I want one...badly.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Yep. The best looking rides ever produced in this garage :smug:
Do this to the Jag and have the best car

KozmoNaut posted:

NADA must be making GBS threads their pants big-time over Tesla and direct sales, they've just put out this piece of bullshit propaganda:
:lol:
Ah yeah they're worried and that list is hilarious. I've tried to buy cars from a dealership and got fed up with the bullshit and them trying to upsell me poo poo I didn't want or need. I hope the 'Tesla Model' for dealerships takes off.

:steam: summer sale begins in ~6 hours or so. I've sold enough random cards to fund a few games.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 19, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I've been lucky and only lived in an apartment for a few months when I first moved to Tennessee. One parking spot where I parked my leaky VW pickup (I had to keep a drip tray under it) and a motorcycle. Eventually they bitched that I needed to pay for another spot for the bike so it lived in my living room.

Now I'm spoiled. Three cars and two motorcycles in the garage, one car in the driveway, two project bikes in a shed then two cars in the back yard (parts car and brother's wrecked E30). Think I could fit 6-8 cars in the driveway pretty easily.

Well German guy I was working with left for vacation yesterday afternoon...running the sites solo now for 5 weeks. Installing new hardware today, some more stuff next week and a bunch of ongoing things. Should be interesting.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Looking for a cheapish hotel for my road trip and found Basecamp Bonn, I'm not going to spoil the surprise but check this place out.

http://www.basecamp-bonn.com/

Hardest part will be deciding which 'room' I'd like to stay in. So drat cool, I'm tempted to stay there two nights even though it's an hour or more from my destination.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Back from my little road trip...drat my rental needs a 6 speed and more power. Poor little fucker could not maintain 180kph on any hills, of course around 185 you were 500rpm from redline. Nothing like hours and hours at 5k+ to break in a newish engine. Driving in Germany is great.

Nürburgring is like a giant race track theme park. Tons of vendors, displays and everything else there for the 24 hours. I arrived as the historics were getting ready to go out which meant I walked into E30 M3 heaven. Highlight of the day was two BMW M1's. I walked around for ~8 hours, took a ton of pictures, drank a lot of beer and ate a lot of bratwurst. Hell of a way to spend a day.

Now to stream the last couple hours (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMIDFQxFKJw)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Yay the forums are back, now I can go back to being unproductive. Actually timing worked out good for forums to be down, spent most of Tuesday driving or running around fixing stuff and the hotel internet was spotty at best the past couple days.

The Germans sure know how to celebrate a football/soccer game. Since the computer building is mostly empty (and only one occupied office) they've setup a projector, surround sound, seating and two refrigerators full of beer. Have a table full of bratwurst to be cooked and a bunch of other stuff. The game is at 6 but the event starts at 2 and apparently last year several people were still partying the next morning. Should be a good time and my hotel is a 5 minute walk so I don't have to worry about driving.

Tusen Takk posted:

Should I buy Bioshock Infinite for $7.50 while it's on steamsale or should I pass it up?
Pretty good game for $7.50

CharlesM posted:

Have you played the other games? It's an okay game. I want to play the DLC.
I've heard the DLC is pretty terrible and tries to tie into Bioshock 1 in a convoluted way.

I was doing good not buying games this sale but I couldn't pass up Kerbal today. Have picked up a few <$2.50 games to gift and play as well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You know as often as I say "I would love to have like a whole month to gently caress around" I go bonkers after having a couple of days off. Maybe its because work is so ingrained into my head (I have held a job since I was 14), or something? I do take time to go out and gently caress around with my vehicles, but that loses its luster after a day or two. I go ape poo poo if I have a week of vacation bunched together.

But why I wanna be at work all the time? I have no idea.

Same here, after a few days I just get bored. I spread out my vacation days by just taking a fri/mon off to get a long weekend. Enough time to relax or get some projects done. I was surprised, apparently in Europe it's pretty common to take all your vacation at once or in two long breaks. Guy I'm filling in for is taking his 5 weeks...wtf do you do for 5 weeks.

Company used to give a month long sabbaticals after so many years (20?). Dad bought some land before it started then spent the whole time camping and built a cabin. I could see doing something like that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

I've only ever heard good things about the Couch-to-5K program. I'm not much of runner myself (I prefer lifting), but I've seen it work for people with basically non-existent levels of fitness.

http://www.c25k.com/

I did Couch to 5k several years ago and it worked pretty good...Then I decided to lift a weight instead. Good program though. Also check out YLLS if you have questions on anything. The general questions thread is helpful but if you ask something addressed in the OP you'll get snarky replies.

This post makes me miss my home gym setup. I've been doing bodyweight stuff but it's just not the same.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Phone posted:

Apparently the weather is cooperating this weekend. Got some sweet shots riding my bicycle around the track. Gonna rock.

I want to say VIR because the bridge and corners look familiar. Either way have fun.

I picked up Kerbal Space Program on the steam sale the other day, decided to give it a shot. Next thing I know it's 2AM...I started at 8pm planning on playing a bit then getting a late dinner and hitting a bar or two. Oh well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CountOfNowhere posted:

iOS 7 has it built in!

Hmm not bad iOS, not bad. I miss this feature on my old phone since I haven't rooted it yet. I'll find something when I get back to the US because I'm sick of the flashing light, email/text alerts and phone calls that aren't important. Can't silence or turn it off because I'm in the same boat as trouser chili, on-call at least every other week if not constantly.

Trouser chili I never paid attention to your username until now...descriptive.

Also just ate at an Irish Pub called "The Irish Pub", they speak english! It's amazing how nice it is to hear normal clear english after a few weeks over here. VW Museum tomorrow!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CharlesM posted:

Sun's coming up. The perfect day to go for a Sunday drive.

Way ahead of you. Checked out the VW Museum in Wolfsburg...pretty underwhelming. If you're a huge beetle/bug nerd then it would be heaven but overall for me it was a pretty 'meh' experience. Now I need to find food, preferably a restaurant I haven't tried yet which is getting difficult.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CharlesM posted:

I went to the MB museum in Stuttgart. It's cool, in my opinion. I had limited time so I didn't go to the Porsche museum. My friend says the MB one is better 'cause it's that cool new building. That's pretty far from Wolfsburg though. In Dresden there is the factory where they make the Phateon and you can take a tour. The building is all glass and stuff. I didn't have time to do that one. I've never driven in Europe so maybe you can get around really fast on the autobahn. I dunno.
When Dad arrives in a couple weeks we're going to hit the Merc, Porsche and BMW museums...possibly Audi as well. You can get around pretty quick with the autobahn if your car is up to it (my rental isn't).

Next weekend is the Hanover Schützenfest which is a massive party and marksmen's tournament. I'm missing July 4th in the US but this should be pretty amazing.

angryhampster posted:

I think I half-way blew out a knee last night skanking.

I am too old to skank now.

I miss my college years.
Skanking can be pretty hard on the body

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

bandman posted:

The MB museum is pretty awesome. I would also include the Sinsheim Auto und Technik Museum on your tour. I think that's the full name...just Google sinsheim museum. It is the most awesome and impressive collection of cars, trucks, planes, motorcycles, race cars/bikes, and military hardware I've ever seen.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll add it to the list and see if we can hit it. Planning on checking out the Deutsches Technikmuseum in two weeks, hopefully spend the whole weekend exploring Berlin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

That thing looks really clean. I've always loved those Jeeps and have been close to buying one a few times. Think it may be my second favorite pickup, after the mk1 VW Caddy.

• Locked thread