Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I could use some help making a couple of choices. I just moved, so I have no contracts or anything

Option 1: get cable/internet again, pay about 120ish, have all the channels I want. Late night Velocity channel binges.

Option 2: go with internet only for 40ish a month for 40mb download speed. Get hulu and Netflix. No late night velocity. Local programming. No DVR but will have access to all shows at all times.

Thinking if I do cut the cord about getting the Amazon Fire TV. (Unless any one can recommend a better box) I also plan to build a multi media pc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Yeah my biggest concern is hitting that giant wall and getting raped on data overages.

The internet is going to be 40ish and change each month, cable and internet will set me back 110ish (taxes and poo poo) ... Soooo, the 70 a month would be nice to pocket. Plus I like to mindlessly flip channels, and college football in the fall.

I wish there was a way to say yeah just cable in the fall and winter, shut it off in the summer and spring (I'm usually busy loving around with other stuff). Keel the internet full time though.

Edit: I am excited that the garage has cable hook ups and I have an old 20" LCD TV doing nothing. its not like I will watch every thing out there but it would be nice to have a game on or a race. Or when its nice outside and I can sit in the garage, drink beer and have something to watch. Garage TV bitches. :smug:

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 6, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
30s old fart crew representing! (31) And age is just a number like every one else has said.

With that being said, my 30s have turned out a million times better than my 20s ever had.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

When you wake up, Dream Rhyno goes away.

Where is the burn icon?

Ninja edit :supaburn:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

I hate Diablo 3 with a passion. Nowhere near as fun as Diablo 2 was :pcgaming:

gently caress I miss playing D2 when I was in high school (gently caress me, 13 year old PC game). It was an absolute riot trying to do the hordes.

Remember LAN parties? It was the rave back in 99-2000.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

Indiana. Txt and crazy baby momma's

Get out of Indiana. It will solve 90% of the problems that exist.

The other 10%? Your on your own.

In other news... The g/f and I officially moved into our new place. The guy that lives across the street is into dirt bikes and the guy next door has a pretty speced out GTP and a GTi he is building. The other dude loves to fish. Yep, I know its a townhouse (renting until we find the perfect house), but god drat my neighbors are cool people.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Liquid Communism posted:

If you're feeling like BBQ, I suggest a lunch stop when you pass Des Moines. Smokey D's BBQ off the 2nd Street exit from I35 North is pretty great.

Edit : Nevermind, forgot which side of MN IF is on. You're probably going up though Wisconsin.

A man that knows good place to eat right here ^^^^

We may need to do an Iowa/Midwest AI meet up one of these days. There's 4 or 5 of us.... With in 5 hours apart of each other.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That's pretty much the reason why I quit IT work when I was done with college.

The stupid to money ratio wasn't worth it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

Women like to vent, you just nod your head and say yes dear, sorry to hear that.

I've learned over the years just to tune it out, listen for key points (in case that dreaded "what have I been talking about?") And just let the rant be over with. Pick and chose which battles you fight. Unless there's physical harm, I just let it be.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its OK. These things happen when you own British and Italian cars.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
AI... In an effort to guzzle more gas I'm looking at a Jag XJS that's had the v12 ripped out and a SBC 383 in its place with a built turbo 350 tranny. I went to look at it and the only issues is the power steering rack is shot, and there's a rust hole next to the drivers rear wheel. Who ever did the engine swap was a pro or a very good diy. Theres no misc wires hanging around and all the gauges even work (yeah even the tach)

What could possibly go wrong? (Besides everything)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

mafoose posted:

I wonder what final drive it has, as a non OD transmission with a big carb v8 could really suck fuel like it's going out of style.

Im trying to find out as I already have the Yukon with the 6.0 and a Range Rover that gets 14 going down hill...

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have said it before... But if you don't get electricity don't go hacking into poo poo.

I just got the ignition system sorted on the rover.... What the PO were trying to accomplish I have no ideas. But its fixed and works perfectly! Now to fix those oil leaks :v:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

angryhampster posted:

e: Here's the view from the other side of that ^ just because it's worth posting:

that was worth posting. My god, that's perfect!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Any one thats friends with me on Facebook has seen the disaster unfolding in my life.

:getin:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

At least you'll be riding to the brink of insanity in style.

Yep. The best looking rides ever produced in this garage :smug:

in their natural state

Edit: Oh yeah, the Jag is fitted with this.

400 SBC bored over to a 406, with a turbo 400 behind it all. The carb needs a little tinkering, but it runs like a god drat raped ape. AC even works. My G/F's dad is already ready to help me figure out how to make the engine have a little more rumble on the exhaust. I am not thrilled about the 400 SBC, but once it takes a dump, and all the work is done, I can shove a built 383 in its place easy.

The heater isnt hooked up as the wonderful British engineering is making it hot when it should be cold. :rolleyes:

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 19, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

mafoose posted:

Congrats on your JTR!
A 400 can still be fun, but for how long depends on what it's out of.

Seller claims a 3/4 Truck. It's not a fantastic motor, but it runs well. I figure worst case scenario, it fries and I can go the route of a 383, because I already have a 400 crank :v:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

:siren: Juke is in the house.

I am going to smack you.

In related things, I would like to see how hard it would be to do PDR. I lump that into automatic transmissions as Voodoo and Unicorn Farts.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I think the qo just came about. I remember it was on Opie and Anthony one day... but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
This is a slippery slope....

In car related poo poo... this jag is a God drat riot to drive. It's to quiet though, it needs some magna flows. Also, it's strange driving a car with a non lockup torque converter.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Good lord. gently caress other automotive forums forever. Actually I was joined into a Facebook group about cars. So naturally I invited ryhno. Hilarity ensued.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

Even the retail jobs desperate for new staff are taking forever to get back to me because there's apparently so much bullshit involved with new hires. Goddamn.

There's so much bullshit involved any more its not even funny. I know my employer is struggling to get people to work for them, and its not even funny. A friends construction company he works at is struggling to get people as well. Where he works is paying 27 an hour starting to hang drywall. Seriously, 26 an hour, decent benefits, and they can't get a person to work for them because its "manual labor".

For the record: I live in Des Moines, 26 an hour is pretty respectable, and the cost of living here is reasonably priced. So its not paying to low.

Edit: Facebook does not work well to make threads. The software gets all funky.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

I just want to work so I can stop sitting around all day. I'm not being completely worthless because I've been spending most of my time applying to jobs, going to interviews, babysitting and doing housework, but I'd like to get back to work.

You know as often as I say "I would love to have like a whole month to gently caress around" I go bonkers after having a couple of days off. Maybe its because work is so ingrained into my head (I have held a job since I was 14), or something? I do take time to go out and gently caress around with my vehicles, but that loses its luster after a day or two. I go ape poo poo if I have a week of vacation bunched together.

But why I wanna be at work all the time? I have no idea.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

I have four trillion very time consuming projects going at once so any spare time is easily sucked up working on them.

Too bored with one or waiting for parts? I work on another.

That was the only thing I miss about owning a house. I always found that it was the lawn being mowed, or fixing a few items around the house, or working on another project. And every thing was relatively cheap to fix. Car projects are fun, but every once and a while you hit that wall of where you need to wait for parts or want to build up some cash to fix something.

Build a fire pit in the back yard? Hell just a few hours with a shovel and cheap block at 50 bucks to do the whole thing, why not?

But other than that, I hated home ownership.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Did Kastien cut his hair?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

trouser chili posted:

Also, something else AI followed me home. Details to come.

I hope it's another Scout!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

angryhampster posted:

I think I half-way blew out a knee last night skanking.

I am too old to skank now.

I miss my college years.

Skanking is easy in your college years. I, for one, am glad to be done.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Food chat quick:

I went to a Brazilian steak house a couple of weeks ago, and it was... amazing. Anyways, it just looks like all the meats are grilled on a rotisserie, so now that I need a new grill, I want to buy one where I can do the rotisserie attachment. Obviously, doing whole chickens on it is the first idea, but I was wondering, has any one ever done a beef roast or a pork loin, or any other assorted meats?

The electric rotisserie is only 30 bucks extra, so I would like to see if any one has any input on if its worth getting or not. I know that it will eliminate fat, but I am kinda worried about stuff getting dried out too.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

BraveUlysses posted:

For 30 bucks? seems like a good idea to me! Are you using it on a weber?

There's all sorts of cool poo poo you can make with a rotisserie, think of all the gyros or tacos pastor you can make.

No it would be a LP grill. But it wouldnt be hard to throw chips into foil for the smoky flavor. Currently, in a town home, and not that I mind charcoal by any means, but I would most likely burn the place down.

Edit: I do admit, the idea of making gyro meat is appealing. I did find a couple recipes for the roast chickens that grocery stores make.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I ended up getting a new grill (its the house brand, but feels sturdy enough) and a rotisserie motor for 160 out the door. 3 burners and a side burner... Need to hit the grocery store tomorrow!

• Locked thread