Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Shampoo posted:

Can't get an IT manager job without IT management experience. Can't get IT management experience without being an IT Manager. :psyduck:

My wife is having the same problem Re: her recently completed Paralegal Associates of Applied Science. Despite a Paralegal Associates and 10-15 years experience as an Administrative Assistant/Office Manager, if she wants to do paralegal stuff, she;s going to have to take a step back and start as an office assistant of legal office receptionist. And leave an office admin job for a small drywall and paint company that's actually pretty good in terms of job security and working environment. We both want her to eventually make more money, but she's pretty happy with her current job. I don't really want her to leave a job that's working for her so well(they're a family owned business, great folks, small office, no politics), but: Student Loans. And she does want to move into something a little more rewarding/challenging.

Also, thank you May thread for new musical choices.

edit: sonofabitch - Pandora doesn't have Laserhawk in their database!

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

bandman posted:

It just boggles my mind that nobody at Mazda has fixed it. I gather that it has been this way for quite some time, so you'd think that somebody would have done something about it by now, but :effort:. Maybe this is Mazda's secret way of being more enthusiast-friendly, by providing all of the service information in a *winkwink nudgenudge* kind of way.

Or (more likely) they just don't give a flying poo poo. :iiam:

Mazda doesn't seem to mind me and other enthusiasts sharing service manuals online, provided we don't charge for it. All of my stuff is early rotaries through '96 RX-7, though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cat Terrist posted:

How about 45? Old? gently caress no :D

Has there ever been a AI regular older than me anyway???

44 here, so you got me beat. I turn 45 in September, woo! Fortunately, decent genetics mean I don't really look as old as I am, especially if I shave my beard. My dad doesn't look like he's 66, either, so I guess it came from his side.

Here, I'm at the upper end. On the Oldsmobile email list I occasionally participate in (slacking, recently) I'm middle-to-young. Lots of good old knowledge there, but mixed in with some old wives tales, too.

Rhyno posted:

I've been on this fitness quest for 70 days now and let me tell you, it's amazing to feel better at 35 than I did at 25. I've lost 20 loving pounds, sleep like a baby and have energy all day.

That's something I really need to do. I'm about 65 pound (or more) overweight, have no energy, and don't rest well when I sleep. It's a problem of inertia: getting started is a bitch. Don't want to exercise because I'm tired; tired because I don't exercise...

A Melted Tarp posted:

My brother is building a very, VERY sick project Camaro. It started life as a very boring base model '80 305ci automatic, and will now be wearing a somewhat mild 327 and a Muncie 4-speed. Most of the suspension has been upgraded, complete with subframe reinforcements for use on track days and for autocross.

We are looking for some 16" or 17" wheels that would be era-correct, or at least look appropriate on a 2nd generation road racing F-body. Any suggestions?

American Racing Torq-Thrust IIs are the go-to for classic-looking wheels in larger sizes. I've got a set of 19x8s on my '70 Cutlass, and they look boss.
Cragar also makes the old SS in larger sizes now.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Do you drink a lot of beer, pop and eat fried and fast food?

A few beers/ciders a week (3-6), soda once or twice a week, and usually sugar-free, probably too much fried and fast food, though way less than, say 10 years ago. I think my main problem is the weight already gained previously, and little exercise. I'm not gaining anything, but I'm not losing much if any either. I do tend to eat more than one serving of stuff that tastes good. That's something I need to moderate badly. So more how much I eat rather than what, really. I'm one of those people that just really likes the taste of food. Unfortunately, what I tend to like is good old Southern cooking, Italian, German and Mexican stuff.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

From, like a hundred pages back (drat you guys are post-happy.)

Rhyno posted:

Diet change and portion control is why 73 days later I'm down 20 pounds. You need to get rid of the beer and pop altogether, you'll melt pounds off so fast you'll think you have cancer. Switch to just liquor if you need booze in your life.

Eh, I'm trying. Portion control is where I really need work. Most days I actually eat a salad (that I made) for lunch. Only a small handful of ham and a small handful of cheese to ruin the veggie-ness, plus Zesty Italian (not creamy.) A lot of weeks I don't drink any cider or beer. Some (not many) weeks I have one a day. Lately I've been going for the cider (is it better, worse, or about the same as beer, diet-wise?) Roger on the soda. I need to watch the sugar anyway, thanks to mild diabetes. Losing weight should help that.
The tough part will be eating somewhat healthy while my wife doesn't. Haven't had any luck convincing her to eat better - she claims she doesn't like veggies, for one. Couple this with the fact that I hate wasting food by letting it go bad, and...

mariooncrack posted:

You just have to start small and work your way up. First off, how much water are you drinking a day? If you're not drinking any or not that much, go out of your way to drink an extra glass than you do a day and build yourself up. This will probably cut some calories out. I don't think I need to tell you if you cut back more on your alcohol consumption that'll also cut more calories.

Since you mentioned eating multiple servings, just start cutting back little by little. Eventually, you'll want to replace some of your sides with healthier options. Instead of getting fries, get a side of vegetables or a small salad. Don't give up everything you like, just slowly over time add in more fruits and vegetables and less fried food. You don't have to be super healthy every meal and if you make a mistake and eat something you shouldn't have, don't beat yourself up for it and be more mindful about it your next meal.

The hardest part about working out is getting into a routine. For me, I tried to go after work because I know if I don't, I won't go at all. I used to listen to podcasts but now I watch TV on my tablet. If I'm going to watch it anyway, I might as well be burning calories. You have to find something you enjoy so you'll keep going to the gym. One day, you're just going to have to make a decision and just go. Sorry I don't have any better advice on this.

I've been working out and watching my diet more closely. I've lost about 10 lbs since the beginning of May and I'm aiming to lose another 10 or so by the end of the summer. I have a real taste for food and I can eat way more than I should. It's a struggle but I feel better than I ever have in my life.

I'm trying. I am trying to drink plenty of water.
The wife is, at least, renewing our membership to the city rec center. They've recently remodeled and have some decent workout equipment and a really nice pool. Pools, I should say - indoor and out. Cheap at $160/year per family. I'm just going to have to make myself go after work. Load up some shows on the iPad/Netflix, etc.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Holy poo poo, I bet his wrists were sore.

So I made Scotch eggs for dinner last night and... I think I may have a new favorite snack food. Had a leftover one cold just now, sooo good.

Discovered Scotch Eggs at the local Ren faire. Man, those things are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

You're trying to lose weight, and you're eating Scottish food?

You're hosed.

Fortunately, the only time I see them is at the annual Renaissance Faire. The day I go, I plan on bad eating. I practically starve myself the previous day. I mean, Scottish Eggs, Mead, Steak On A Stake, Mead, Turkey Legs, Pretzels, Mead, Cider, Bratwust, etc. Yum!

KozmoNaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOX5Q4wg26U

Sounds pretty drat tasty after a night of drinking, though.

Dear God, the deep-fried pork sausage kebab sound delicious. And deadly. Kind of like Texas State Fair food. Fried everything! Fried Nutter-Butters for fucks sake!

• Locked thread