Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Super Aggro Crag posted:

You wanna pay me $25.83/hr to assemble shelves at the shop all day? No loving problem.

My thighs friggin' KILL from jet skiing on Saturday. I forgot to mention that I flipped the jet ski going 0MPH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAUZl1tdlis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've never heard of being able to buy pads for a single wheel, I'd imagine it's a full axle's worth, ie 4 pads. Unless something's really weird on your vehicle (miata? i forget what all's in your stable)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'm looking for brake rotors that don't suck, won't rust like a motherfucker, and won't cost me a hundred bucks a rotor. Any of you fine gentlemen have any suggestions? Are Raybestos worth a drat anymore? For a 2000 camaro by the way.

Well, if you don't want rust, you're SOL with any rotors made of iron, aka the vast majority of them. You could get ceramic rotors; those definitely won't be a hundred bucks each. :mmmhmm:

Honestly, stopping power is mostly in the pads and hydraulics, rotors are just a heat sink. Maybe get slotted rotors if you wanna get fancy.

Are you having any specific brake issues?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Holdbrooks posted:

I tried to get him down to $1400 but I own it now for $1500. Perfect shape other than the hood, top and dry rotted tires. No rust anywhere and a mint interior. The ac even works, but cuts what little hp the 1.6 has in half lol.

Install a turbo to compensate for the A/C power loss.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Phone posted:

I might need to burn down the Sears tomorrow if I don't have a 55" Samsung TV at my house in the evening.

This is a good plan regardless hth

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I sense a great disturbance in the Force.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ughhhhhhh

First really hot day of the year (got up to like 97 with 50% humidity) and now the loving house A/C is acting up. Compressor seems to be running, "Cool On" indicator on the thermostat lights up (but eventually starts flashing, which worries me) and the air handler gets cold, but the fan won't kick on, even when set to "on" instead of "auto".

This is a whole new A/C system; the whole refrigeration system, air handler and thermostat were replaced last year, including a new, larger condenser assembly (for whatever new refrigerant they're phasing in). I also found out today that it has a re-usable mesh type filter; we cleaned it and just reinstalled it, no change so far. Hopefully something's not hosed up.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geirskogul posted:

I'm going to build one of those 5 gallon bucket swamp coolers for my beetle. Bad idea or worst idea? I think a high CFM 120mm fan, a 12v pond pump, and a bucket with some holes drilled in it is worth an afternoon of my time.

Do it, you're in a dry climate, right?

I'd kill for one just for simplicity's sake, but they don't loving working when it's 60% humidity for the entire hot season (April to early January)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

some texas redneck posted:

Does the fan motor even make a humming/buzzing? If so, I'd bet on a bad capacitor. If not, it could be, well, anything.. they've added so many drat electronics to those things dagnabit. :corsair::arghfist: There's usually a status LED somewhere on the control board, and whatever panel you have to remove from the air handler to get to it will have a chart showing what blinks mean what. On most units I've had, it's whatever panel you remove to get to the blower.

Still, 1 year old.. call the installer. I would hope it'd still be under warranty.

alright so loving

no noise, and there's a big amber led light that's lit up that probably should not be

quarter to four and the fucker still won't blow, im guessing something is hosed. probably make a service appointment tomorrow.

i have been keeping cool by drinking beers. i am drunk, hot and tired so I will probably hit the sack.

loving air conditioners.

e: 80 degrees inside right now, and it'll only get hotter once the sun rises. gently caress me.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Addendum to last night: gently caress waking up on 4 hours' sleep for a drat baby shower.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tusen Takk posted:

Is it for you and your wife or for someone else? I've never heard of men going to baby showers before...

It was for my sister, and yeah I don't know why I was invited. Got to see a couple friends, but really not my thing at all.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I like his job and I don't even work it. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Preoptopus posted:

Anyone familiar with the metal band Black Tide out of Florida?
Their tour bus (f350 van with trailer) rolled into our shop yesterday. Upper ball joint about to fail on the pass side. Front tires nearly showing chords on the inside. What did they want? A hitch installed so they didnt have to use the stock bumper hitch to tow their dual axle trailer with air brakes they werent using. Didnt have time to do the ball joint cause they would miss their next gig five hours away. Rock and Roll. I tell you.

I was gonna say professional musicians' gigs are really important seeing as it's how they get paid, and at least they're not content with overloading the stock hitch, but it seems like they've been around for a while and should at least have the cash to deal with major stuff like that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cursedshitbox posted:

almost 10pm and the drug dealer neighbors are still playing loud rear end bass music.

7:02 am tomorrow it'll be time to tune carburetors.

"Boy, shame how these muffler bolts just fell out while it was parked last night!"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CPS is like critically underfunded pretty much everywhere; if you see the parents chucking the baby headfirst into concrete, they might get to the case in a month.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

T1g4h posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYgzxKepsjM

New Roadkill's up. Just what I needed to make this week suck less.

Oh my god, I forgot they were gonna do it Gasser style. :fap:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mafoose posted:

I remember reading an article about how venting helps women release stress, yet venting causes men to stress, especially if work related.

I don't know how factual it was but my anecdotal evidence supports it.

Similarly, I don't know if it was a study or just someone saying it, but I remember reading that when venting, women tend to be looking for emotional support and sympathy, whereas men are inclined to want and/or offer logical solutions. Mismatched signals and desires, leads to misunderstandings and hurt feelings.

Disclaimer that not all people fit their gender stereotype, etc.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

N is for Nipples posted:

Yesterday I saw a Lamborghini Gallardo and managed to take some utter potato-quality photos.

Traffic was poo poo so I didn't get to gently caress around with him much but I did pull back to open up a slot, and when he opened it up the sound it made was so goddamn beautiful I could have cried. :3::fh:

Lambo encounters are always glorious; that V10 is magic. :allears:

One time, though, I got to hear a Murcielago open the taps on the V12... :syoon:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

13 INCH DICK posted:

I had a dream last night I had bought my Biturbo and I was cruising along on the freeway with the windows down and wind in my hair and then I woke up and had the most profound sense of loss

Don't worry, this will happen after you get the car, too (you won't be able to drive it).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

goatse guy posted:

The timing belt has to come off.

Front main/cam seals I'm guessing? (i know nothing about subarus)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Goddamit, I tried drinking myself to sleep so i could be awake for Father's day tomorrow. It didn't work and now I'm wide awake and restless.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sinestro posted:

I just got my M52 delivered for my swap, and the A/C compressor is uncapped and open to the air. It's been like that for about a week, according to the guy at the junkyard. Thankfully, it still spins very smoothly and I can feel pressure when I spin it. It's only been at most 30% humidity for the last while, so it might be OK, right?

The compressor shouldn't be hurt from being open to the air, just remember to add oil to the system, vacuum it down for a while to dry everything out, and replace the drier/accumulator before charging the system. If it bolts to the same spot on both engines, you can just use the one from the old motor.

There's an A/C thread somewhere on here, too. Read that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

alternate.eago posted:

Funny story, for most of that video the rear diff was broken and Rhys was hooning that 600hp car around in basically front wheel drive....

Holy poo poo, I bet his wrists were sore.

So I made Scotch eggs for dinner last night and... I think I may have a new favorite snack food. Had a leftover one cold just now, sooo good.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cursedshitbox posted:

New acronym for Chevrolet:
Constantly Having Every Vehicle Recalled Over Lousy Engineering Techniques

Holy poo poo, son. :golfclap:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Yep. The best looking rides ever produced in this garage :smug:

in their natural state

:tviv:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

KozmoNaut posted:

Everyone should subscribe to Andy Rehfeldt's channel on Youtube. He makes soft songs hard and hard songs soft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrydcstzEVA

Real Children of Bodom vibe on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGtXlBbWeB4

And then there's this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__vv2EhpEK0

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So I discovered Fruit Loops vodka.

Wait til you discover the rest of the world of infused liquors. I made raisin vodka a while back that was fantastic; strong, sweet grape flavor, but without any water diluting it like fresh grapes would.

And then there's the savory infusions; there's a tex-mex chain called Chuy's that serves cocktails made with jalepeno tequila.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I think the qo just came about. I remember it was on Opie and Anthony one day... but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

Q is probably queer, no idea on O though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I had forgotten what life was like without the forums. WELCOME BACK GUYS!

E: Holy gently caress has it been five years already? Seems like just yesterday I was a shitposting newbie. Now I'm an old-hat shitposter!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Antifreeze you can actually just dump down the drain, as it gets broken down at the water treatment plant.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm going with an AWD MR2 with 20V motors front and rear.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

V8 swaps aren't real easy on them. Easier with the auto trans that came behind the donor motor... which rules out mopars, I would say stuff an lm7/4l60e in it for bang/buck ratio.

It is going to involve a lot of custom fab and cost several thousand in parts alone unless he knows exactly what he is doing.

I would go 4.5 stroker over 4.6, they are almost all factory parts. 401 would be nice, will even bolt directly to the auto or manual in a 4.0 jeep, from my info, but probably require a ton of custom stuff regardless.

What does he intend to do with it? That thing is way too clean for offroad IMO, unless he never touches rocks or trees. Looks beautiful.

Didn't you mention a thing a while back where the 4-cylinder bellhousing in some Cherokees bolts up to an LS4? Is that a thing with the Comanche?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Unbolt UFO parts. Convert to regular discs. Sell UFO parts. Profit.

You're welcome.

This. Surely 25 years of improvements in pad materials offset the smaller conventional rotor diameter, and you (or whoever you sell it to) will actually be able to service the drat thing.

• Locked thread