Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

If you were allowed real metal cylinder liners and valve seats, how long do you think an engine block cast out of J-B Weld would last? Steel crank, rods, pistons are allowed. Basically just the block and head J-B.

The heads are a no-go. But I bet you could do a low power/low compression block with liners and head bolt inserts that could idle for at least 15-20 seconds if you could figure out how to start it from the crank or bolt the starter to the bell housing rather than to any portion of the jbblock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Jesus Christ. I just had a fight with the girlfriend and unless I misheard her the basis of the fight was that her mother was dead and mine was alive.

I mean, her mom was a pill popping junkie who tried to kill herself like 4 times that I know of but that's cool, bite my head off for having a living parent

Yeah.....it wasn't about that. Even if that's what she was saying.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Are you an engineer? If so you'll understand this and it will be way too familiar. If not...oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

That's hilarious. And I've been in that exact meeting several times.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

leica posted:

I would love to hear some examples of trying to explain engineering to dumb people.

Most of the recent ones have been telecom product related. I took several tries to explain how a proposed VoIP app could not possibly know where a user was by turning on a nonexistent GPS ("but my phone can do that!" "But the ones this is designed for can't." "Why don't we just program the feature in?" "A GPS has a hardware component. We can't upload physical things to people's phones over the internet." "What about that contract programming fir we used last year" "No, I'm pretty sure they don't know how to install hardware over the internet either.")

Things get even stupider when we have to start talking about reporting and databases and what data exists and what doesn't even though "it really seem like we have that." Oh, it SEEMS like it? From your view as a salesperson it seems like it? I'm LOOKING AT THE loving TABLES. It is NOT THERE and there is no way to capture it for transactions that occurred in the past.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

leica posted:

they still think you're full of poo poo and are just being lazy or something.

That's the part that eats away at your sanity.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

gently caress everyone who is attached to their problems and just wants to bitch about them instead of solving them.

There's a strong correlation between that behavior and having two X chromosomes. Understanding there is nothing I can do to change that I've learned to deal with it without getting all balled up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

leica posted:

Women like to vent, you just nod your head and say yes dear, sorry to hear that.

That's the one.

By all means do NOT make suggestions to fix poo poo during this venting. That is NOT what they want and will turn from venting about someone/something else to being pissed at you.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

The circuit is probably opening, not shorting. Biiiig difference.

And that is some fuckawful soldering. I would be ashamed to put my name to that.

That wasn't soldering. That was painting with solder.

I'm with you. That circuit is opening because of a cold joint. Reflow, clean it up and CLEAN THE GODDAMN FLUX WHEN YOU'RE DONE.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Midniter posted:

Woe to the renter who hasn't updated his tags because it would require a valid inspection that he knows he would fail because he can't afford to fix his leaky exhaust because he makes poo poo money as a pizza delivery guy (not hating on you STR!). Congratulations, now you have lost your means of employment, and owe $350 you don't have to a towing company as well as any storage fees.

That kind of renter is not wanted. It indicates someone who likely won't be able to pay their rent at some point, which ends up costing a lot of money to the owner/management company if/when it comes to the point of an eviction.

Whether any of that is true or not doesn't matter. But that's how it APPEARS, and it's an easy sorting mechanism.

Also, by strictly enforcing that the complex is less likely to have any old cars sitting around. This is also for appearance/increased value.

If or when they are having trouble getting enough renters those policies will relax. But it sounds like they're doing just fine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tommychu posted:

I don't really get why we keep expanding that acronym.

Needs more vowels, then we can reorganize it into a pronouncable word.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

trouser chili posted:

I'm not sure what part of it means text me "12 cash tomorrow" a few minutes after midnight.

Why the hell would you use your real number for a CL ad?

This is basically what Google Voice was made for.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Are you talking about that BMW that crashed at 1:07?

Seriously....don't bury the lede. Track day videos are nice and all but I had little to no idea what the gently caress you were talking about. Looked like a regular track day to me. People wipe sometimes. It wasn't even on camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

its a german v8. give it blood. pure blood, not that tainted half-rear end dollar store poo poo.

lovely parts for rovers:

which was lovingly massaged into this:

Thanks once again to STR:

• Locked thread