Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blk
Dec 19, 2009
Nice op-ed in the NYT about the gas tax: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/06/02/opinion/americas-highways-running-on-empty.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

goatse guy posted:

I am getting paid 2.5x what I made at my old job to do even less work. Something feels wrong about this. I also get to hang out with my dog all day. It's weird.

What magical job is this?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I just got back from Italy, so this gif was initially "so what?"

In Rome my taxi got passed on the sidewalk.

I really want to go to Italy but my wife doesn't have enough vacation time and doesn't want to take unpaid leave. I might end up going without her since she's already been anyways, but I would so much rather prefer to be with her.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

AI posted:

Backwards constructions

This is Gund Hall, Harvard's Graduate School of Design.

The photo shows the front of the building, facing the street.

When you turn the corner, you notice something interesting:

A pretty big-deal-pay-attention-to-me glass facade facing straight at the building next door.

If you go into the small alley/courtyard space between the two buildings, you see this:

Which was originally supposed to be the front of the building.

They built the building on a 180 degree rotation because they realized the afternoon and evening light would shift too much for the people inside. This beautiful glass slope that defines the building was pointed at a brick wall instead, and the back of the building, which was originally supposed to be services, loading dock, etc was pointed towards the street.

Here's the inside:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Can someone ID this car for me? It was my late uncle's (that's him in the pictures)

blk
Dec 19, 2009

nm posted:

1963 I think, based on the tails.

Looks like a 63 770, thanks!

blk
Dec 19, 2009

CountOfNowhere posted:

I am very interested in details on this. I have tried to hide my other skills in interviews and I'm not sure if that is a good idea anymore.

Depends what kind of company you're applying to - if they want you to be a cog in a machine, don't do it. If they're interested in cultivating their people and maximizing the value of their hires, do it.

In other job/IT manager chat, I'm applying to a CIO position to see how far I can get. Technically I am an IT Director now, even though I don't have any direct reports. Wheeee

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I just turned 31 a few days ago. I lost most of my 20s to depression and chronic pain from facial nerve damage, which led to more depression and bad substance use habits. I finally feel back in the saddle again, only I'm where I wanted to be when I was 21, not 31. I have some catching up to do.

As much as I hate my town it's nice to have some nice views a 5 minute drive and 10 minute climb away:

http://i.imgur.com/VVGidx5.jpg

blk fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 9, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Cat Terrist posted:

I've been resonably consistently fitter from 37 to today that what I was at 30 to 35. Lighter too. Actually, I'm fitter today than when I did martial arts as a teen to mid 20's - ramping up to 70.3 long course triathlons will do that. I've swapped motorracing for mountain bikes and triathlon - I dont miss the raging assholes who populate motorsport, do miss throwing it sideways at huge speeds. However.... I dunno, I get more sense of achievement with the MTB or finishing a triathlon.

45 really doesnt have to be the point of a midlife crisis, you can be fitter than ever and enjoy life. Hell a few nights ago I had a true Zen moment being at absolute peace with myself and what I was doing (Riding at 40kph on the TT bike - weird way to reach that state). It's not much buuuut..... I'm not eating my life away sitting on my rear end in front of the idiot box. I'll hopefully if the weather turns good be riding 65kms THEN do a few kms run. I could not dreamed of doing that 20 years ago.

I'm a long distance roadie and until a year or so ago did lots of centuries, double centuries etc. I'm having some fatigue issues that are getting in the way right now, but the sense of achievement I had on my first 100 mile day was fabulous, as it was the first year I rode 10,000 miles.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

ABP by some internet wunderkind in the Awesome AI poo poo thread

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Edit: NM, not that funny and you guys will just take it wrong and crucify me.

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's been in the 70s-80s for a while here plus we have cheaper cost of living.

:feelsgood:

Hi.

blk fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 11, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Anyone have good sources for rashless/refurbished OEM wheels?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

leica posted:

Rockauto.com

Oh hey they sell Keystone stuff; neat. Any feelings on reconditioned vs replica?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Wasn't there a SoCal AI thread here a while ago? I'm going to be killing time in Long Beach next week; a goonbeer might be a good idea.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm kind of regretting not buying a cheap MT AWD X Type that popped up around here last winter. I find the styling a bit forced and unattractive but the prices are pretty low for a reasonably solid car with that drive train. Some of the reviews I read gripe about the MT, but I'm not quite sure what the issue is (I haven't driven one). Does anyone have experience with this car?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
A manager of a department in my organization asked for a solution to a problem. I wrote a brief with not 1, not 2, but 6 solutions. These are all of the possible and actionable solutions to the problem. She rejected all of them l. I'm trying to think of a diplomatic and professional way to tell her that I hope she enjoys living with the problem.

My wife has also been complaining to me the past few days because her mother in law has been overbearing in emails about a memorial service we're putting together. I said "OK, let me talk to her and I'll fix it." She said "No, I'm just venting, don't talk to her." I finally got tired of the venting reruns and didn't think my mother should get away with it anyways, so I sent her an email telling her to cut it out. She realized the error of her ways and sent a nice and sincere apology to my wife; who is now flaming pissed at me for fixing the problem because now I've "damaged the relationship" by making everything better. My wife also slammed the door on the Miata in anger and now there's a new and very troubling rattle whose source I can't quite determine.

gently caress everyone who is attached to their problems and just wants to bitch about them instead of solving them.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Motronic posted:

There's a strong correlation between that behavior and having two X chromosomes. Understanding there is nothing I can do to change that I've learned to deal with it without getting all balled up.

Earplugs?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

trouser chili posted:

My son goes to summer camp outside International Falls. He'll be there for a month. After that month, I'll be driving back up and we'll go out on a canoe trip for a week.

I wish my dad had done that with me when I was a kid. Our interests were always divergent; I tried to follow along on stuff he liked to do but he usually didn't reciprocate. I try to talk cars with him since he bought a Corvette a few years ago, but he's only interested in Vettes.

Anyways, that sounds fun, good on you. Maybe I can get my dad into a canoe.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Did Sockington fall off the face of the planet?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Planning my time in SoCal next week and I forgot that it takes an hour to travel 15 miles in any direction on the freeway :(

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Has anyone been to the Marconi or Petersen [car] museums? I have time to see one and am trying to decide which.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Mat_Drinks posted:

I've been to Petersen, but still haven't been on the Vault tour, which as I understand it really expands on the regular Petersen in very good ways.

Don't forget that you also live very close to the LeMay in Tacoma which is worth checking out. My advice is to not spend too much time on the top level though and consider hitting the ramps faster as that's where they have a lot of what I'd argue are the coolest pieces in the collection (early electric cars, pininfarina cars, coachbuilt stuff, etc).

AI acts like the Juke is the inbred offspring of the Aztec and the PT Cruiser, but I'd argue it's got the face of newer Mazdas (especially the 2), but on some really good coke. My only criticism is that you can't get AWD and a manual transmission together, but still, for what is essentially a mom mobile it's way more interesting looking than 90% of the boring small and midsize SUVs out there. :colbert:

Yeah, I've done the LeMay as a team building exercise with the dad in law; I missed the spring classic auction up there and might try to get up for the fall.

Hopefully I can get Vault tickets at the Petersen the day before. I'm going to Reno later this week and hope to see the Harrah collection.

I have an ecoboost Fusion for a rental right now and its notably less terrible than other modern sedans. With the MT it'd be even better, although visibility would still be poo poo.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Moved on from the Fusion to a Taurus with My Ford Touch and my god is this interface horrible; how does anyone stand it?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Teach your kids not to be stupid when they have a car full of friends. Local kid driving his 4 friends, loving flying down a country road and... oh yeah, hit a tree sideways. Tore the car in half and killed the three that were in the backseat...

What kind of car?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
There's a big 4 lane connector road that runs 3 miles through the middle of nowhere between the edge of my town and the interstate. It's county territory and not patrolled so I usually end up bombing it. Today I was taking it at 95 in the Miata and this lifted XJ follows me at speed. We finally reach the light at the interstate and this dude leans out his window - shaved head, face tattoos, aviators, beard braided into viking pigtails, poo poo eating grin: "Thanks for haulin rear end, bud!" Which one of you was this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I believe Glock makes the very best in auto security systems.

Speaking of, I may be selling my never-fired G38 this month, if anyone's interested (PM me).

• Locked thread