Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Bucephalus posted:

Welcome to <desirable career>!

Truth. I run into the exact same problem trying to get lovely lube tech positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

InitialDave posted:

Garages are not for parking cars in, unless they're projects you have barely touched in a decade. They're for hoarding tools and car parts in.

Oh, I see you have been to my house.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, can't say I've ever had a problem with my post office that was actually their fault.

Once again, Indiana proves to be full of assholes.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Amazon Prime has completely ruined ordering from most websites these days.

Yeah, I mostly just use Rock Auto for part number checking these days, most of the time my orders are small and the shipping is outrageous. Last time I bought car parts Amazon's prices beat Rock Auto by over $100 once I factored in shipping costs.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

:haw: civil engineers, etc etc.

I think my favorite story like that is a company that was doing all the cementwork for the entire floor of a new super walmart... they laid everything out, poured the cement, finished it, all looked awesome. Inspector shows up, takes one look at the plans and the new floor, goes "well that's some really nice work and it looks great, but..." and turns the plans around "... it's supposed to be like this." They built the entire pad turned 180 degrees from how it was supposed to be. With all the foot locations, plumbing, conduit, rebar stands, etc cast into stone, literally.

Company had to eat the costs of redoing the entire thing, IIRC.

I heard about this before (probably from you in another thread), but it still blows my mind. That is a colossal gently caress up.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

13 INCH DICK posted:

What's the approved method of reply to someone who legitimately asked me to turn down Holy Diver on the radio?

This

Tomarse posted:

Reply by simply turning the radio up until you can no longer hear them asking.

Cat Terrist posted:

Sounds like a resonable request to me.

Why do you so consistently hate fun?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Phone posted:

I might need to burn down the Sears tomorrow if I don't have a 55" Samsung TV at my house in the evening.

This is a pretty good tactic, generally I just try finding sales or the scratch & dent section, never thought to try outright extortion.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
272k on the Forester but the engine and transmission only have around 120k on them.

Celica has 205k on it, Volvo 245 has around 185k same as the 855.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 4, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The best part about doing service work as opposed to being on a big job is that if we finish early we can hide and drive around the rest of the day. Eating lunch at the hospital cafeteria right now. So many god drat sexy rear end nurses here.

During the summer I would say a good 50-75% of my day is just tooling around campus or chilling out in one of the half dozen empty buildings. Nothing gets broken when the students aren't here.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Reminder that if you like Snatch, In Bruges, or just enjoy Brendan Gleeson and Don Cheadle as actors, you should watch The Guard.

edit: opening scene may be upsetting to the ITR owners here.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CountOfNowhere posted:

I am very interested in details on this. I have tried to hide my other skills in interviews and I'm not sure if that is a good idea anymore.

Same.

Unless I think my special skills specifically apply to the job I'm trying to get I keep them to myself. Maybe we've been screwing ourselves all along.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'll be 24 this August. I've felt like I was 40 for about 3 years now, most people my age just irritate the hell out of me. I feel like I haven't done anything I set out to accomplish in life like most of the 20-something's here apparently. Looking forward to getting older, job prospects an pay will get better, hopefully.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Evan Williams' egg-nog is the loving poo poo on the rocks. Shame it's only sold around thanksgiving/christmas.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52264/The-GTA-Online-I-m-Not-a-Hipster-Update-Is-Now-Available

Newest GTAV update has a gasser style Falcon, 510/KGC10 that you can boso, Citroen SM, Gremlin and that 6 wheeler G Wagen.

The youga style Dodge van is still my favourite.

The Gremlin is actually a Pacer from the A-pillar back. Still awesome, I've been cruising around in the Citroen a bunch myself.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Cakefool posted:

I just found out that the woman selling the gt6 restoration project decided she couldn't bear the thought of having anyone other than her dead husband driving it so she had it crushed.

:what:

I'm so angry right now.

If it makes you feel better, her husband is probably spinning in his grave.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

rscott posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ4GV8W2oGc

Who would have thought Through the Fire and Flames would be 10 times better as a country song?

Literally the first time I've been able to sit through a whole Dragonforce song. I generally dislike country as well. This guy is really loving good at what he does.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Helping a friend move all the way across the state, even though I have no gas money and he doesn't either.

No goddammit I don't want to stop and get food, I want to finish this long rear end day and get loving hammered at a pool, I've been driving and loading a truck all loving day what in the hell is wrong with you.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I was starting to get twitchy without my car forum.

Also kastein owning a Subaru is going to be the greatest thing ever.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

Nah, cat thieves don't taste all that great.

:laugh:

Who knew that a widow-maker on muddy ground wouldn't be stable? Not that genius.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Backov posted:

What is this?

It came up on IRC last night, apparently some fuckwit snuck into a PnP that kastein frequents at like 11pm, jacked up a van in a muddy part of the yard, and crawled under it to steal the catalytic converter.

Squish

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I think you just met the world's only fourth gen Nova enthusiast. If you run into him again, tell him I know where he can get a two-door.

Wrong. I have an unnatural love of Disco Novas, particularly the two doors.

But I really cannot afford another car right now :(

That is maybe the best car sale story I've ever heard.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Holy poo poo

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

8ender posted:

My bad. What is the worthless parts equivalent for the Japanese car world?

Anchor

gently caress I have gone through so many Anchor engine mounts in my Celica it isn't funny.

e; although sometimes even they get it right. The Subaru engine mounts I got from them looked better than the OEM ones, and have held up very well so far. Their transmission mount was hilariously loving bad though, all the bolt holes were 1/4" out of spec, and the brand new OEM one was softer than the 15 year old used part. :fuckoff: That's why I have a Group N trans mount.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Motronic posted:

Thanks once again to STR:

Sooo...I just bought this on cafepress. I don't even own a British car.

30% off sale until midnight! code: patriotic (it's at the top of the freakin' webpage)

• Locked thread