Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Forgot how tedious it is to paint an engine. And the engine is about the only part of this truck I give a drat about aside from safety-related stuff so I'm not letting myself half-rear end it (for comparison I painted my wrong-coloured junkyard door in 15 minutes, using a gloved hand in front of the rattlecan nozzle to mask the glass). Thought I'd have it nearly done but I only got the intake, TB and a bunch of brackets done.
Had my first fishing trip over the weekend, had no idea how much fun that poo poo is. Walleye were biting steady all day (cold rear end lake so they never left the shallows), we caught 6 smaller walleye and 3 5-7 pound pike. I could have doubled that with a lighter action rod since I'm a bit lacking in finesse but I'm happy I pulled anything out at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I had a 1st gen Atom netbook with a Spanish keyboard, it's weird but you get used to it quickly.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I type with my index and middle fingers, and my right pinky handles symbols and shift/enter/backspace. My eyes are about 70% screen/30% keyboard. Standard touch typing with my awkward ham-hands is crampy and painful at a desk with a full keyboard, and basically impossible with a laptop (and the only non-laptop I own is my HTPC, which I control over VNC with a laptop anyway).

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

mariooncrack posted:

Don't know how long this will last or how good it is but Amazon has a Bluetooth OBD2 for $13.25

http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products...ASIN=B005NLQAHS

I have one of the little blue ones. It does what it says on the tin, refresh rate isn't great and I've heard there's a pretty high DOA rate on them but for the price you can't beat 'em.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I tried a bit of Appleton's to steady my hands so I could solder the Deans connectors onto the motor controller of my Traxxas and ended up Karaoke-ing Paradise by the Dashboard Lights. By myself. In a biker bar. With proper falsetto on the female parts.
I'm pretty sure I won't be drinking rum for a while.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

Sounds like a good night to me.

Oh gently caress yeah. It was a blast. It's just that the BAC that was involved in getting my goony rear end that far out of my comfort zone was pretty high, and I thought I'd be feeling a lot worse right now than I do- especially since I was mixing with Dr. Pepper. Yeah I know it's probably all in my head and liquor as a social crutch is more of a placebo effect thing than anything, but whatever it's a step in the right direction that happened to coincide with a binge drinking session.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

rscott posted:

Green russians would like to disagree with you

fixed.
(finally got around to watching Archer a month ago, and just finished tonight. So you'll have to bear with me as all the jokes start making sense)
gently caress me I have nothing to do tomorrow (was going fishing but, well long story). Might as well finish that 40 of Appleton's... Not singing Meat Loaf again this weekend though.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Phone posted:

Since Rhyno is out of town for the week, I guess I'll fill in:

Oh man, I got into a fight with a kid, he was asking about video games in a comic book store. I German Suplexed him off of the roof.

poo poo, I knew something was missing tonight. We don't know what kind of crazy shenanigans his awful friends have gotten into this week.
(I don't mean to be facetious but drat, he makes me thankful my friends -while tragically few in number, and mostly alcoholics- are fairly well-adjusted, sociable, mostly-drama-free human beings)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I don't really get why we keep expanding that acronym. I mean LGBT was enough to establish that the group of people it refers to has romantic/sexual preferences and/or gender identity outside the established norm, do we really need to expand it to include every single subset of said group?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Jesus gently caress. I left work today, hit PnP for some junkyard fasteners and came back to do some work on the Sportage (which has lived in the back of the shop's parking lot since teardown). Well, I got back half an hour after the afternoon shift hosed off, and after I got my T-stat housing in place and started on the fan/shroud I heard some weird loud noises. I'm in the middle of an industrial park right off a fairly major road, so I thought nothing of it.
Then a fire truck pulls in, and around to the far side of the building. Hmm, the dickheads next door lit something on fire again I guess. Time for the thermostat and rad hose.
Then 2 more fire trucks and a cop. Well that's interesting. Let's get some coolant in this prick come on I wanna hear it run.
Then 3 more fire trucks, the power company, one more cop and 3 ambulances. What the poo poo? Oh hey I forgot this vacuum line where does it go again?
Then my boss pulls up, walks in, a few minutes pass by and the bay door opens... and it takes a minute to click that the wall should be obscuring more of that fire truck than it is... and also the lunchroom isn't quite in the right spo....oh, there's a pickup truck in it.
tl;dr: an F150 plowed through my shop wall.
e: ^^but it didn't tear in half or have 3 teenagers in the back of it. Christ that's ugly.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 27, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

And really if you're doing a V8 swap in an XJ/MJ, babying it probably isn't something you're interested in.
Welp, what a lovely day. Too rainy/late to work on the Kia, the R/C blew up again (2 week old motor controller is in the mail for warranty), my friends are all working/busy/vacationing, there's nothing to fix on my ghetto hifi/HTPC setup anymore, and I'm too broke and tired to do much of anything else. I've been watching Regular Car Reviews and CollegeHumor videos in my bed all drat day and feeling like a bag of poo poo.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

trouser chili posted:

We'll see. Not sure what all it's going to take to swap. Might be easier to just have the rotors turned.

I wanna see the brake lathe tooling that can do that. And the look on the face of the service writer of whatever shop you take them to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I want to kick every Hollywood sound guy in the face who doesn't know how to properly normalize an audio track. Fucksakes a comedy flick should not have me constantly fumbling with the volume button just so I can hear all the dialogue without waking up my neighbours and setting off car alarms on the next scene. It was Get Him to the Greek btw

• Locked thread