Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Pulling my hair out here. I can't find a pitman arm for a 1976 Chevy Nova, base six cylinder. The closest I got was RareParts part number RP20872. According to O'Reilly auto, this part fits a shitload of different year Pontiac Firebirds and Chevy Camaros as well as the 1976 Chevy Nova. They also want $220 for it. gently caress that. According to Amazon, it's actually for manual steering only. My Nova is power steering. Are pitman arms kinda universal or what? Perhaps I'm overthinking this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

InitialDave posted:

What's wrong with the existing one?

Failed inspection. Says "Idler arm and pitman arm have excessive play"

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

InitialDave posted:

Have you checked yourself? Play at the spline or the balljoint end?

No clue. I just picked up the car at my buddies place, he was about to donate it. It drives great, steering is super tight so I never thought to check it out.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Pitman arms aren't really universal, unfortunately. Get the wrong length and your steering geometry is all hosed up. Also, that arm is apparently made of unobtanium...

Well gently caress. Funny story though. Buddy of mine was building a Scout and wanted to use a beefier IH truck steering box. Anyway, he got it bolted to the frame and all hooked up only to realize the full size truck boxes spin the other way. Turn the wheel left, Scout goes right. Spin it right, Scout goes left. I tried to get him to leave it that way since it was a trail rig anyway, but he said he couldn't handle it.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 11, 2014

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Running from St. Louis, MO. to International Falls, MN. today. First interstate road trip for the Sportwagen TDI.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

goatse guy posted:

Why are you going to International Falls? I've been there before to visit family and can't see why anyone would visit.

My son goes to summer camp outside International Falls. He'll be there for a month. After that month, I'll be driving back up and we'll go out on a canoe trip for a week.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Back from International Falls. Came in about 2 am this morning. Pulled the cartop off and washed off roughly 10,000 friends we picked up along the way. Now it's time for the TDI's first oil change.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Got a new air compressor for father's day. My old Harbor Freight doorbuster special shot craps roughly a month after installing my spool, and I've been without for nearly two years now. It's gonna come in real helpful working on the Nova.

Says "Snap-On" on it, but it's obviously not made by Snap-On. The name is just being used under license and the unit is Chinese made. Still, if Snap-On was willing to license their name and CostCo is selling it, I'm going to assume it's pretty well made. Also it was like only $160 I think. Anyway, with my son at camp for the next month I got my daughter to help me assemble it. She had a lot of fun running the ratchet to bolt the handle on.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Siochain posted:

I have rarely been disappointed with anything that Costco sells, and if I am, invariably they will do right and resolve my disappointment in some way, shape, or form. Also that's a nice looking compressor, I should check Costco out once I've finally killed the PoS I've got.

I feel the same way. I've returned three things since becoming a member in 06. The first was a bag of cat food my cat refused to eat. Nothing I can do there. The second was a jar of pickles I thought were awful (I'm picky about pickles), and the third was just the other week when I returned their Pork Strips. They were of good quality, but I didn't like the taste at all.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Installed a new cat today.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sweet merciful Christ, I can stop trying to get my fix via Jalopnik.

I've been reading /r/cars. I think for a while we should use condoms, just until my tests come back.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Geirskogul posted:

Anything other than /justrolledintotheshop is terrible. Never go on Reddit.

/mechanicadvice can be pretty good, if you're into that kind if thing. I think it's getting discovered by /r/cars tards though. I read some rear end in a top hat today explain how AWD was superior because the clutches at the wheels distribute more power to the wheels that slip. Yeah, it hurts me to type that.

Oh, hear it is!
http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicAdvice/comments/290v3d/awd_or_fwd/cigpiim

Bask in the stupid.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 26, 2014

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

meatpimp posted:

Oh my god, I couldn't read past the part where he kept referring to delivering power to the non-driven wheels. :psyduck:

Ha ha ha haa, feel my pain!

KozmoNaut posted:

I have found exclusive footage of Lowtax fixing the forums:

I used to have that program. I set up my Mac to autorun it on boot to keep folks out of my computer. It worked surprisingly well.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Somethingauto.com

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
"Please call or text anytime between the hours of 8AM and 8PM. Car is available for showing evenings and weekends. Please no solicitations, local buyers only and I don't need any help selling it."

I always put that in all my ads on CL, I'm not sure what part of it means text me "12 cash tomorrow" a few minutes after midnight. That said, I'm happy to sell it for $1,200. Goodbye lovely Nova. You were an adequate racecar, and a poor everything else.

This guy better not try to haggle any further though, I've been up since he texted me and not in any loving mood at all.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Nope. I'm not going forward with that since I'm not keeping it or gifting it to my nephew since he turned his nose up on it. Selling "as-is". Also, the "excessive play" isn't really all that excessive. There's a good reason the steering is as tight as it is.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Potentially. He thinks if he spends $2,500 he'll be able to find a car that doesn't have problems and won't need to be worked on. He's just a stupid kid and basically has no financial, emotional, or any other kind of support at all from his parents because they're useless. He doesn't even live with them and is an emancipated minor. He's scared and can't afford a mistake.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Cage posted:

Your nova is awesome and I would love to drive it but $2,500 is a good amount of money for a used car, thats 10 year old corolla money. It shouldn't be any problem to find one that doesn't need repairs.

Yeah I'm not faulting him. He's gotta figure out his own way and I'm happy he's making his own decisions and being independent. I think that for $2,500 you can certainly find a car that doesn't need any repairs, but it'll still have repairs you'll want to do. For example, aircon is typically non-op on $2,500 cars around here. It'll probably need tires too, or have rust. There's no such thing as a peach at $2,500 around here. That's my experience with the local market.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
So the jerkass that texted me a midnight last night to discuss buying the Nova is now not responding to me and the time we discussed for meeting has come and gone. I'm on four hours sleep thanks to him. Sometimes I really hate CL.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
It's why I really slowed down and then basically stopped flipping cars. I don't like high-dollar stuff because it's too much outlay and the profit margins are smaller. You can buy cars at $10,000 and flip them for $14,000, but for my $10K I'd rather have a fleet of cars bought at $250 and selling at $2,500. This price range unfortunately really brings out the CL crazies. Also, the $10K car on CL typically needs work beyond my desire or skillset to perform. A lot of the $250 cars are like, needs a new distributor and a really good cleaning.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I've been dreaming about building a Scout II from the frame up. Frames and drivetrains are cheap, although I want to build it with a Mercedes OM617. From there I can't decide on fiberglass or steel body.

First thing first though, I want to LS7 the 250C.

Backov posted:

What is this?

Scissor jack.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

mafoose posted:

I don't get it... Don't you put your phone on silent when you sleep? If you're worried about people getting ahold of you, there's plenty of apps with time based incoming call whitelists, and even logic like 2 calls from the same number in X minutes will cause it to ring.

I have to be able to answer my phone, I was on call with work that night. And I don't think I can do any fancy apps on my phone cause it's an iPhone.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Great Beer posted:

Can you set the default ringer to silent and then set work to your usual ring? Might be a bit of a pain in the rear end if you do it frequently but it will prevent late night craigslist shenanigans.

Work don't call me from a set number.

Good news! I sold the 76 Nova to "Crazy" Teremus (pronounce ty-remus). He was stoked, and possibly drunk or on drugs. I'm not sure. He said he rode the bus to someplace nearby and bought some cologne, vodka, and beer at Walgreens before he came here. Whatever, he showed up all sweaty and also blathering on about his Prada sunglassess to my wife while apologizing for some reason I'm not sure. He then shoved money in my hand, grabbed the keys and tore rear end down the street shouting "NOOO-VAAA!" out the windows. I'm not making GBS threads. Afterwords my wife looked up his name on casenet, it had several pages.

Also, something else AI followed me home. Details to come.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Yeees! Novas for everyone! I think I need to party with Teremus.

I saved his number. Might be handy. It's in my phone as "Crazy Teremus". I wonder if he managed to get out of my neighborhood without getting arrested.

In other news, video is almost finished processing. It's not a Scout. It has eight cylinders, two distributors, and a dizzying number of valves. Oh, and I haven't paid even so much as a dime for it.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 29, 2014

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Meet my latest retarded decision.

It has 32 valves.

Quattro

and early 90's styling

It's a 1991 Audi V8 quattro, and it's complete with UFO brakes, hooray!

Of course they're warped to poo poo. The car otherwise drives quite well, especially considering the 214,000 miles showing.

Oh, and it sounds glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iMuj6wl4sk

I can just sit in the driveway and listen to that over and over again. It's really quite a hoot.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Oh just wait. If things go according to plan, the next bad decision is likely to be beyond insanity. I really don't want to say anything because it may not come to fruition. There are a lot of variables. Right now the plan with the V8Quattro is to recondition it and sell it. If that happens...well the next big thing represents what is quite possibly one of the most tempting worst automotive decisions available today.

Also, I'm hoping to not sell the V8Q too fast, cause there is a RallyX next month and I sold the RallyNova to Crazy Teremus.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

bolind posted:

The article linked says that the reason was that the whole assembly had to fit inside a 15" wheel. I know we're in the early 90's, but really? 15" wheels on a flagship sedan?

We're talking about the Germans here. When the problem is "We need larger brakes", the obvious and simple solution (fit larger wheels) does not come to mind. Instead, the German engineer gets a techno-boner and creates an overtly complicated and difficult solution with significant other drawbacks.

meatpimp posted:

...are (brake) parts still available at non-rape prices?

How do I put this? Parts are not available at non-rape prices. That is to say; Parts are not available. Those found NOS come at hate rape prices. Fortunately the UFOs on the car are actually quite new, so I just need to find someone that can turn them. It's also my understanding that the underbody tray on the v8q is an integral component of the brakes as it's designed to throw air at them and keep them cool. My car is missing the underbody tray. I might try to find a way to throw more air at the brakes.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Or a 401ci AMC v8, with a 6-71 on top.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Fucknag posted:

This. Surely 25 years of improvements in pad materials offset the smaller conventional rotor diameter, and you (or whoever you sell it to) will actually be able to service the drat thing.

We'll see. Not sure what all it's going to take to swap. Might be easier to just have the rotors turned.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
But it is true, URO is poo poo. The only thing I've got with URO stamped on it that was worth a gently caress was the trunk and door seals on my W123 240d. They were both too long, and took significant fiddling with to take up the extra slack, but they worked and didn't fall apart over three years.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I've had a rotisserie attachment sitting in my basement for a decade now. Never use it. I should though, for I have learned how to make gyro meat.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

8ender posted:

My bad. What is the worthless parts equivalent for the Japanese car world?

Valucraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Audi v8q talk time. I drove it to work and noticed it accelerates weird. It sorta surges up 300-400 rpm at a time. The oscillations are at about 2 per second. Some times it more pronounced than others. Given that my wife indicated to me that it puffs black smoke randomly and there is sooty residue all around the exhaust pipe, I'm guessing the surging is cause by some sort of fueling condition. Thoughts?

• Locked thread