Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Shampoo posted:

Can't get an IT manager job without IT management experience. Can't get IT management experience without being an IT Manager. :psyduck:

How do you know you want to be an IT Manager if you've never been one?

I'm partially joking, but also kind of serious, as I've basically got two options: keep skilling up or management. Skilling up has a lower cap, but I get to keep doing the stuff that I got into IT for in the first place and I'm already a lead so I get all of the benefits of leading a team without having to deal with the HR BS like so and so said something mean to me and I want it to stop. But management could mean making a bigger impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Shampoo posted:

I really have no desire to skill up further as a support monkey. I'm a senior level computer janitor, and skilling up means picking another route and basically starting over, or going to management. I'd love to manage a small to medium sized support department and be able to improve the skills of the people under me and such. What I'd really like would be the head of IT for an organization in 15- 20 years time, but I'm not sure how realistic that goal is given the trouble I'm having breaking in.

I know, I know, it's mostly networking and word of mouth, but I don't know anyone in the location where I want to work. The real answer is probably suck it up and try and get a low level IT team lead or something job around here for a few years.

Ahhh ok. I'm lucky in that I'm not a support monkey but a senior analyst so I'm mostly working on projects, upgrades, etc and I can basically just take more and more responsibility on until I'm basically doing the job of two to three people (I'm actually at about two people right now). If I'm going into management though I want to manage analysts before support.

Do you have your MBA yet? In my neck of the woods it's requisite if you want to be CIO/department head and is almost requisite for even being a manager.

And are there any "lead" or "supervisor" opportunities where you're at? That might be a more attainable way to keep stepping up.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm 23 and getting quite bald up front, which really sucks, but doctors are starting to think it may be from a nutrition issue thanks to years of diarrhoea from undiagnosed lactose intolerance

So maybe I'll get my hair back!

Next time someone asks why I'm bald I'm going to tell them it's all of the diarrhea :D

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

meatpimp posted:

:thejoke:

In Juke news: Going to meet the owner next Saturday. If it's in the condition she says, I'll buy it. Hopefully the electric steering won't be an issue. :ohdear:

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the car as I'll admit I like the :downs: look of the Juke and am kind of trying to sell my wife on one for her next car.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

blk posted:

Has anyone been to the Marconi or Petersen [car] museums? I have time to see one and am trying to decide which.

nm posted:

Petersen. Call ahead and get a spot on the Vault tour. The Vault is really the attraction, is by tour only, and the tours fill up fast, so you need to call ahead.

I've been to Petersen, but still haven't been on the Vault tour, which as I understand it really expands on the regular Petersen in very good ways.

Don't forget that you also live very close to the LeMay in Tacoma which is worth checking out. My advice is to not spend too much time on the top level though and consider hitting the ramps faster as that's where they have a lot of what I'd argue are the coolest pieces in the collection (early electric cars, pininfarina cars, coachbuilt stuff, etc).

Rhyno posted:

I think you've had enough.

AI acts like the Juke is the inbred offspring of the Aztec and the PT Cruiser, but I'd argue it's got the face of newer Mazdas (especially the 2), but on some really good coke. My only criticism is that you can't get AWD and a manual transmission together, but still, for what is essentially a mom mobile it's way more interesting looking than 90% of the boring small and midsize SUVs out there. :colbert:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

meatpimp posted:

:wink:

Seriously, though, it's a fun little thing. 188hp turbo motor combined with CVT makes a rubberband type of acceleration that I've never felt before. Looks like an intake and exhaust give it another 15 or so horsepower, but it's already peppy.

Reasons to have it that some in AI can't understand: a) wife likes the look. b) wife likes a higher seating position of suvs/mini-suvs. c) it's even more ridiculous than the 269hp in her FWD RAV4. Most importantly a).

If my wife ends up getting one too we can form the 'Husbands with Wives that drive Jukes Club' where we act as diplomats and apologists and come up with clever vanity plates like 'NTAZTC' :):hf::)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

It's good to have the forums back, but seriously there were some gem posts on the Facebook group with SA down.

I found myself occasionally checking car specific forums a few times and without AI to dilute the stupidity I found my tolerance threshold was even lower than usual.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/24/yarra-floods-southbank-as-high-winds-push-the-river-back-upstream i couldnt go outside because this was happening.

PS. My dad is kind of a redneck, am i the worst person in history for following his lead and just pouring used motor oil into the garden?

Isn't recycling it generally free these days? It seems wasteful since there are secondary uses for it. In my neighborhood they'll take up to a gallon a week with the garbage pickup, I don't even have to make a special trip or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Viper_3000 posted:

Most any parts store (Advance, Napa, Autozone, etc.) takes used oil for free, at least stateside. (I think they are required to by law at this point.)

Antifreeze and other fluids however...Let's just say that those aren't as easy to get rid of responsibly like oil is.

cursedshitbox posted:

Sure you can! Just mix the poo poo with the oil. :v:

If they question you just tell them you own a Subaru :rimshot:

• Locked thread