Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Shampoo posted:

I really have no desire to skill up further as a support monkey. I'm a senior level computer janitor, and skilling up means picking another route and basically starting over, or going to management. I'd love to manage a small to medium sized support department and be able to improve the skills of the people under me and such. What I'd really like would be the head of IT for an organization in 15- 20 years time, but I'm not sure how realistic that goal is given the trouble I'm having breaking in.

I know, I know, it's mostly networking and word of mouth, but I don't know anyone in the location where I want to work. The real answer is probably suck it up and try and get a low level IT team lead or something job around here for a few years.

Not to be a dick or anything, but in my experience, you are going to have to progress past being a support monkey before you will move into a role like IT manager. Unless you are able to pretty much run the IT department by yourself(technically, not work load related), you are probably not ready for that position. Granted I could very well be wrong, as I have been out of that part of the IT world for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I just got back from Italy, so this gif was initially "so what?"

In Rome my taxi got passed on the sidewalk.

When I was in sicily we were on a city bus that was passing stopped traffic in the oncoming lane. He would just drive in the wrong lane, and when a car came at us he just pushed his way back into the correct lane. This was on a 2 lane street and everyone seemed completely fine with that as well.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Seat Safety Switch posted:

blk, get her to take unpaid leave. Italy is lovely, she must go with you.

Also, go to sicily if you can. Taormina is one of the most amazingly beautiful places that I have ever been. Catania is pretty awesome as well, but much more of a normal city compared to Taormina.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

KozmoNaut posted:

In another bit of age-related sadness, Rik Mayall has died, only 56 years old :(

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27770266

Goodnight, sweet prince of knob gags.

well that just ruined my morning. I grew up watching the young ones and eventually discovered Bottom and The Dangerous Brothers. I really do love this quote from Adrian Edmondson

"And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish bastard."

I think I will have to re-watch as much Rick Mayall TV shows as possible tonight.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

KozmoNaut posted:

I have The Young Ones, Bottom (including the live shows), The New Statesman and his episodes of Blackadder queued up for the weekend.

He was absolutely one of my favorite comedians ever (especially when working with Adrian Edmondson).

I need to get my hands on the Bottom live shows and the Dangerous Brothers, but they are rather hard to come by in the US.

If you have never seen the Dangerous Brothers before, I highly recommend watching it right now on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QwXiHG3rjY

The next hour or so of my work day are going to be pretty unproductive now.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

iwentdoodie posted:

It is a weird feeling. I just turned 27, wife is about to turn 28, and we have no kids. We're basically the only people we know that don't.

The gf and I are both 29, so her entire FB is either people getting married(including both of our brothers) or having kids and its starting to get to her. I know its going to happen eventually to me and I need to get moving on that whole buying a ring thing. Its not that I don't intend on spending the rest of my life with her, I just never got the whole getting married thing. It just seems like a way to spend a poo poo ton of money on a piece of paper. Prolly has something to do with having divorced parents.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

NitroSpazzz posted:

Are you an engineer? If so you'll understand this and it will be way too familiar. If not...oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

Yup, that gave me flashbacks to way too many meetings. Sometimes I miss working on boats when I deal with poo poo like that, then I remember what I used to make compared to what I make now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

CommieGIR posted:

And this is why I make delayed database backups on a mirrored server.

If anyone does not run backups this way they should not be in charge of backing up databases. I have hope that the datavail guys will get the DB into a much better place. I never worked directly with them, but they bought a company that I used to work for so I have faith in them. My old boss still works there and he says they have their poo poo together.

We really should get a backup plan together for when SA finally dies. We have enough tech guys here that I am sure we can run something better. I no longer work somewhere that I get free hosting, but I am sure we can get a deal through someone.

• Locked thread