Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Well huh. First time 5km run under 30 minutes. Not going to argue with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

13 INCH DICK posted:

What's the approved method of reply to someone who legitimately asked me to turn down Holy Diver on the radio?

Sounds like a resonable request to me.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

Why do you so consistently hate fun?

Music AND terrified screaming of passengers? Too much distraction from actual real fun.

Edit : Plus, that "music" is pretty boring and generic. We have better on in the office every day.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Cakefool posted:

32? Bastard, I thought you were old, you're a year younger than me :(

How about 45? Old? gently caress no :D

Has there ever been a AI regular older than me anyway???

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

Any goons got a mini? The real one not the BMW shitfest.

My local scrapyard who I work for doing it bits and bibs has one. I really need someone to tell me what to loom for when I view it. It's gonna be a restoration as it's in a scrappy but if there is something too major or expensive I will walk away.

Used to. The big thing? RUST RUST RUST. Look in the battery box (notorious), around the windshield etc (also around the subframes. Rear especially. Front subframe usually isnt too bad because of the oil leaks will protect it. I'm not joking on that one). Now, depending on the model (Classic? Clubman? Series III?) you also will need to look at the suspension (Hydrolastic ones are horrid to fix and at this age.... hooooo boy will it ever need fixing! The rubber cone ones arent too bad for wear and tear), electricals are Lucas so.... well I'd just expect them to be dodgy.

Engine-wise, what is it? 850cc seems unlikely (And if it is GET IT and fix it!) 998cc is the more common in the Classic, 1175 is a bit rare and of course 1275. They tend to be in the Clubmmans and Series III. 998's are pretty bullet proof, 1275's might need some work. They all leak.

Gearbox? Dont expect too much in the way of goodness, it's n old car. But they arent hard to fix.

I left out one particular engine, which is the 997. This is for a Cooper. If it's a Classic and it's got a 997, you REALLY want to take a good look at the chassis numbers. A 997 Cooper is worth the big effort because they are quite desireable, TBH probably moeso than the other Coopers and the Cooper S. Also a 1071cc engine might well be worth a better look too. I really doubt a Cooper would be in a scrap yard now tho. MUCH too valuable but who knows, you might get absurdly lucky.

Okay, real Minis are going to be a mess at this age BUT they arent bad to work on, parts arent actaully that expensive (there's still a huge parts trade in the UK) and if the rust is passable (There's going to be rust, it's the nature of the car), it's a good project. I am rather puzzled why a Mini would be in a scrap yard these days - they are pretty popular restoration targets or at the least donor for projects. Got pics?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Name them, I'm honestly curious on this one :)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Coasterphreak posted:

Of the top of my head, PainterOfCrap is in his late forties/fifties, daslog and possibly Bulk Vanderhuge and Viggen are in your general vicinity, I'm not sure about IOC but he's probably a bit younger than you. Das Volk strikes me as fortyish, but I really have no clue on him.

Daslog, Bulk, IOC, DV and Viggen are a few years younger. Dunno about Painter, dont think he's in his fifties? Motronic is 43-44 I think, def not older.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I've been on this fitness quest for 70 days now and let me tell you, it's amazing to feel better at 35 than I did at 25. I've lost 20 loving pounds, sleep like a baby and have energy all day.

I've been resonably consistently fitter from 37 to today that what I was at 30 to 35. Lighter too. Actually, I'm fitter today than when I did martial arts as a teen to mid 20's - ramping up to 70.3 long course triathlons will do that. I've swapped motorracing for mountain bikes and triathlon - I dont miss the raging assholes who populate motorsport, do miss throwing it sideways at huge speeds. However.... I dunno, I get more sense of achievement with the MTB or finishing a triathlon.

45 really doesnt have to be the point of a midlife crisis, you can be fitter than ever and enjoy life. Hell a few nights ago I had a true Zen moment being at absolute peace with myself and what I was doing (Riding at 40kph on the TT bike - weird way to reach that state). It's not much buuuut..... I'm not eating my life away sitting on my rear end in front of the idiot box. I'll hopefully if the weather turns good be riding 65kms THEN do a few kms run. I could not dreamed of doing that 20 years ago.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

blk posted:

I'm a long distance roadie and until a year or so ago did lots of centuries, double centuries etc. I'm having some fatigue issues that are getting in the way right now, but the sense of achievement I had on my first 100 mile day was fabulous, as it was the first year I rode 10,000 miles.

a) You on Strava? (Seems ot be the question every cyclists asks now...!)

b) Holy poo poo, double Imperial centuries?!?!? That's impressive, I've only dont a couple of 160kms. I want to hit out and do a metric double soon but fuuuuuuu douple Imperial, legs hurt thinking about it

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Coasterphreak posted:

Who's heard of the Alabama Bondage Club?

Roll Tied!

Huh?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MrChips posted:

"Roll Tide" is the rally cry for the University of Alabama Crimson Tide sports teams, so it's a play on that.

AHAHAHAHA you are making GBS threads me! Sporting teams are literally named a slang for a woman's period?????

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Viper_3000 posted:

The nickname was coined in 1907, so it's been around longer than the slang you're talking about.

My Grandfather was using that slang when I was a kid (yeah I bet THAT was funny when I asked mum what Grandpa was saying!) and as far as I am aware it goes back further. Maybe not in the USA, but hey, this is still utterly priceless :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I snapped back Because I don't care.

gently caress being polite to shits that dont deserve it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

leica posted:

You don't get cold feet when it's the right person, find a dude that's into cats (not hard) and race cars (super easy) and you're halfway there :)

Maybe on AI, sure. In the real world tho?

quote:

The great thing with photography is that while it's still just digital bullshit that ultimately doesn't really mean that much, it is still infinitely more impressive to people than "I GOT THIS SWEET LOOT BRO".

And with L-Glass you have a handy combat weapon to beat the poo poo out of idiots with.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

I actually have a car buying and tinkering problem....

The Lancia nearly killed me and I made money in it going only as far as unseizing the motor.

Oooooooh I remember that Lunchbox. That was a deathtrap if I recall, yes?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

freelop posted:

The end is nigh!
Repent!

Forgivee Me Lord, for I have sinned. I drove a Prius today. I truly repent from not hacking that piece of poo poo to peices when I had the chance.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

AI... In an effort to guzzle more gas I'm looking at a Jag XJS that's had the v12 ripped out and a SBC 383 in its place with a built turbo 350 tranny. I went to look at it and the only issues is the power steering rack is shot, and there's a rust hole next to the drivers rear wheel. Who ever did the engine swap was a pro or a very good diy. Theres no misc wires hanging around and all the gauges even work (yeah even the tach)

What could possibly go wrong? (Besides everything)

Well, they threw the V12 out, you'll probably get better gas milage with the SBC. And lets face it, Jaguars that came with V12's are ALWAYS improved with throwing that poo poo out and dropping any SBC in.

I'd say it'll be at least noticably better than stock reliability wise.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I saw a rare one today. Its not often a Suzuki X-90 appears.

I know nothing about them but I've always thought they were pretty cool. Its a little bitty baby truck :3:

It's an enormous turd. Like, literally one of the worst cars of the time, that and the Terios need to die in a nuclear fire

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

angryhampster posted:

I rented a Terios in Costa Rica for a week. We took it on some very questionable and steep "roads" without issue. I liked that stupid thing.

Yeeeaaaaah I aint buying that one. A Terios is challenged by a driveway, let alone anything that remotely approaches unsealed roads.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

We don't get anything approaching a proper ute up here anymore, but there are plenty of people who would like something that has an open bed with the driving dynamics of a car.

Now, whether that thing is any good, is another story.

It wont be. The only Ute like that is the Commodore Ute and that's about to go bye bye.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Slavvy posted:

No, I'm meaning the general fit and fitment, the incredibly poor mechanical design decisions, the overall lovely quality of parts both aesthetically and functionally, the fact that it drove by crap by comparison and was less practical despite also being bigger and heavier and having a heavier, thirstier yet less powerful engine. I'm sure that when they're both brand new the differences are slight but once you've packed on 150,000-odd km's there's no comparison. Who the gently caress rivets an engine ecu bracket to a strut tower?

My VE is up to 131,000 kms and......

Not a single thing has gone wrong. There are no squeaks or rattles. It has been, somehow, more reliable than the Subarus. It has been easy to work on. It also handles a lot better than a V8 powered taxi should. I have a couple of things I dont like (like the brakes are laughable when you go hard) but I have been really impressed that it's been as good as it has been.

I'd like to set up the suspension better and put a set of Brembos on.... but I really cant complain. Good car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

So my step mum's Dacia Sandero was delivered. She didn't order the spare wheel and went for the inflation kit instead.... To be fair £500 quid was quite a hit on a 5 grand car.

It's plastic everywhere with panel gaps Lancia would be proud of but it's a car i suppose with a 3 year warranty. Meh

You have got to post pics.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

My insurance is $100/month. On an 8 year old Saturn. :stare: I have really lovely credit though..

And the leasing company gets paid. If there's any excess after it's paid, you might get that.

HOW is credit rating relavent to insurance risk?????? That blows my mind.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

kastein posted:

I prefer the term "rustmancer", really.

So if you and Sockington worked on a car, there would be a rust/anti rust annihilation event?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Viggen posted:

Surgery went well, thanks for asking. Still in tons of pain and think the weeks after the incident were less painful than post-op surgery. Ask any tranny!

It's kinda early and I'm lacking in tea but..... huh? sorry, that sentance isnt makign sense to me, you had surgery to become a tranny or you are a tranny or....

So confused. I need tea.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Viggen posted:

LGBTQOV, please. :colbert:

LGBT, yeah fine. What the gently caress is the rest supposed to mean?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

Queer, other, viggen

Queer, other...? I have to ask, why are those A Thing? What's not covered by LGBT?

Viggen, well yeah I get that. He's unique :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sweet merciful Christ, I can stop trying to get my fix via Jalopnik.

Why the hell would you do that. Seriously dude, that's just like whipping yourself with barbed wire.

• Locked thread