Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Can't get an IT manager job without IT management experience. Can't get IT management experience without being an IT Manager. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Bucephalus posted:

Welcome to <desirable career>!

Pretty much. IT Manager certificate? Sure, I got one. Years experience being a seņior level IT tech? Yup. Do the manager stuff when the manager is out sick or on vacation? Sure do. Try to apply for IT manager positions? LOL NOPE. Apparently I need to find a Senior tech/Manager hybrid position where I do the work of two people for the pay of one, but i'll have those special 7 letters in my title, so it'll "count" as "experience".

Joy.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Mat_Drinks posted:

How do you know you want to be an IT Manager if you've never been one?

I'm partially joking, but also kind of serious, as I've basically got two options: keep skilling up or management. Skilling up has a lower cap, but I get to keep doing the stuff that I got into IT for in the first place and I'm already a lead so I get all of the benefits of leading a team without having to deal with the HR BS like so and so said something mean to me and I want it to stop. But management could mean making a bigger impact.

I really have no desire to skill up further as a support monkey. I'm a senior level computer janitor, and skilling up means picking another route and basically starting over, or going to management. I'd love to manage a small to medium sized support department and be able to improve the skills of the people under me and such. What I'd really like would be the head of IT for an organization in 15- 20 years time, but I'm not sure how realistic that goal is given the trouble I'm having breaking in.

I know, I know, it's mostly networking and word of mouth, but I don't know anyone in the location where I want to work. The real answer is probably suck it up and try and get a low level IT team lead or something job around here for a few years.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Mat_Drinks posted:

Ahhh ok. I'm lucky in that I'm not a support monkey but a senior analyst so I'm mostly working on projects, upgrades, etc and I can basically just take more and more responsibility on until I'm basically doing the job of two to three people (I'm actually at about two people right now). If I'm going into management though I want to manage analysts before support.

Do you have your MBA yet? In my neck of the woods it's requisite if you want to be CIO/department head and is almost requisite for even being a manager.

And are there any "lead" or "supervisor" opportunities where you're at? That might be a more attainable way to keep stepping up.

My wife is an analyst now and is on track to be in a position to be my boss in only a few years, it's fascinating. Luckily, we work at different companies. I don't have an MBA, I'm still paying off my bachelors, but I also have no real expectation if getting to a C level position or directorship, I'd much rather just be a manager of a helpdesk department. I'm looking into lead and supervisor opportunities right now, something is bound to pop up. It's annoying because I have a great job that pays well with a major university and there is literally no movement here for positions. It's so nice that nobody ever leaves, so there's no opportunity for internal advancement.

• Locked thread