Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Cat Terrist posted:

AHAHAHAHA you are making GBS threads me! Sporting teams are literally named a slang for a woman's period?????

The nickname was coined in 1907, so it's been around longer than the slang you're talking about.

The bus system that was a brand new addition to campus when I was a sophomore there was (unfortunately) named the "Crimson Ride". Lotta jokes there. Lotta jokes. Also, our SGA President when I was there got arrested for drunk and disorderly (and maybe drug possession?) in Birmingham, and kept his position and was re-elected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Powershift posted:

Everybody should experience heart failure at least once in their life.

Or metabolic acidosis.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Slow is Fast posted:

Dealer wants to rake him over the coals for 1600 bucks to replace some lovely bmw electric water pump. He's done with german cars and unloading the thing.

It's about $500 in parts, so the dealer is raping him on labor. Have him find a local euro shop to do the work and then dump it.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Slow is Fast posted:

they quoted him 1100 for the part

That dealer is a straight up crook.

Seriously.

Even with dealer markup, it shouldn't break $700-800 for the pump on it's own.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Reasons to have it that some in AI can't understand: a) wife likes the look. b) wife likes a higher seating position of suvs/mini-suvs. c) it's even more ridiculous than the 269hp in her FWD RAV4. Most importantly a).

Happy wife, happy life is a saying to live by.

Well, it is until it gets to extremes, then you should just divorce/sever and buy more car parts/project cars. But that's the case with most sayings.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Mat_Drinks posted:

Isn't recycling it generally free these days? It seems wasteful since there are secondary uses for it. In my neighborhood they'll take up to a gallon a week with the garbage pickup, I don't even have to make a special trip or anything.

Most any parts store (Advance, Napa, Autozone, etc.) takes used oil for free, at least stateside. (I think they are required to by law at this point.)

Antifreeze and other fluids however...Let's just say that those aren't as easy to get rid of responsibly like oil is.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Welp, I'm working towards buying a 2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback, I'm probably making a terribad mistake but have all my ducks in a row and did my homework. See you on the other side?

Why not an ST? They're in the same base price ballpark, and an ST with the ecoboost motor is far more AI than the flexfuel one. Foucses are good cars either way, so I'm sure you'll be happy regardless of which engine is in it.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I've looked into both and I can justify a fully loaded Titanium as I was able to get it down to 20k w/ all features that I want/desire off of a 26k MSRP. The other local dealers can give me an ST similarly loaded for 23.

I might drive both of them again and sleep on it. 3k isn't that much more for a ST, especially with how fun that motor is.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Fucknag posted:

Antifreeze you can actually just dump down the drain, as it gets broken down at the water treatment plant.

This depends entirely upon where you live/your water treatment center. I know that in my city, they frown upon dumping it down a drain/toilet. They sure do make it easy and convenient though with 1 hazardous waste disposal place that's 45 minutes clear across town.

Mine generally goes down the driveway and into a huge concrete drainage ditch that feeds the man-made lake in the middle of the neighborhood. Considering how high the HOA fees are and how they give no shits about re-stocking it with fish like they said they would for the past 3 years, I don't really care that it's where it ends up because I honestly don't do much coolant system work and gently caress that lake with the stupid loving fountain in it that they also haven't fixed.

Basically what I'm saying is HOAs are loving worthless for anything but taking your money and complaining about every little god drat thing, while doing nothing with the money you send them.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My gateway is being a PITA. I have a Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 modem + router. It's one of the ones Comcast uses for their Xfinity service. The firmware it shipped out with sucks and has constant wifi problems. Dropped connections and extremely slow connections when it even works at all. It works great on all the wired connections.

You can't update the firmware yourself and Comcast is supposed to push it out for you. I talked to them today and the dude said they don't have the ability to do it and to call Motorola. They are closed on Sundays.

Personally, I'd ditch that and just use it as a modem to pass thru to a real router. Find something that can run Tomato or DDWRT and buy/flash it to that. I'm still using a 10 year old linksys with Tomato on it and it holds up just fine in a household where we torrent/stream everything. I seriously can't remember the last time I had to restart that thing.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Phone posted:

It's the end of June/beginning of July in the south, and it's been like mid-80s and wonderful out for the previous week and this upcoming week. It's nuts that it's going to be nice and breezy for July 4.

The humidity, temps, and afternoon thunderstorms in middle TN would have to disagree with you there.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Slow is Fast posted:

Bosses x5 bmw saga continues. Dealer replaced the water pump and some other poo poo. He picks it up and it's fine.

He's driving to the ski area this weekend. Going up a hill and the rpms start going nutty and the car isn't moving any faster. It comes out of it and they arrive at their destination.

On the return trip, RPMs start going nuts, the thing goes into neutral and they coast to a stop. Refuses to restart. Flatbedded back to the dealer.

Be Em Trouble You

Meanwhile I drove my piece of poo poo wagon 400 miles this weekend built out of questionable junkyard poo poo and rock auto all the things.

My guess is battery/alternator. Had a similar issue with my e46 that was fixed with a new battery. Did he buy this thing CPO or just from a BMW dealer without warranty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

CountOfNowhere posted:

I will ask but not too hopeful since it's the dealer. Worth a shot, of course!

The next question is going to be why are you going to the dealer for an alignment. So why are you going to a dealer for an alignment?

$90 buys me 6 months worth of alignments on my car from a chain place with a guy who really knows his poo poo.

• Locked thread