Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'm looking for brake rotors that don't suck, won't rust like a motherfucker, and won't cost me a hundred bucks a rotor. Any of you fine gentlemen have any suggestions? Are Raybestos worth a drat anymore? For a 2000 camaro by the way.

Already said but look for rotors that have a zinc coating or other plating on them. I'm running Zimmerman plated rotors on my wagon and they still look new after 2 years. They were under $50 each. In April the tire shop thought I just did a brake job, and were surprised when I told them the brakes had 30k miles on them. My Akebono pads are wearing nicely too obviously.

The nicest part of the plated rotors is they're clean and dry when you install them, you don't have to wash them down to get sticky rust protection off of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

43 here and I know Leica is also within a year of me because I notice it every time he mentions it.

My 30's were great but as of now each year is better than the last. I just passed 5 years at my 4th job ever (not counting McDonald's in my teens) and will likely get another raise when I have my review tomorrow.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sweet merciful Christ, I can stop trying to get my fix via Jalopnik.

For reals. If this place ever goes away permanently there's going to be a pathetically large hole in my life.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

trouser chili posted:

Potentially. He thinks if he spends $2,500 he'll be able to find a car that doesn't have problems and won't need to be worked on. He's just a stupid kid and basically has no financial, emotional, or any other kind of support at all from his parents because they're useless. He doesn't even live with them and is an emancipated minor. He's scared and can't afford a mistake.

This reminds me of my niece, only she scored hardcore. She's been driving her mom's (my sister's) old bulletproof Volvo 240 for the last 3 years, but she's off to college and her dad wanted to get her something more reliable. Fat chance, right?

He found her a 98 V6 Camry at an estate sale with 24k miles on it. And the owner was super anal, got it dealer serviced whether it needed it or not, even the timing belt was changed at 12 years and 20k miles. The radio knob is missing. That is absolutely the only thing wrong with the car. The engine bay is clean enough to eat out of. Oh, $4,000.

Here's hoping similar luck falls on your nephew.

• Locked thread