Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluo
May 25, 2007

Seriously, here is the president picking some weed.

Group D

Times listed are GMT+1.

Anyway Uruguay is a South American country which shouldn't get mixed up with Argentina. Been in the world cup 12 times, have won 2 world cups (1930 and 1950) aswell as winning the South American equivalent of UEFA Euro 15 times (916, 1917, 1920, 1923, 1924, 1926, 1935, 1942, 1956, 1959, 1967, 1983, 1987, 1995, 2011). Uruguay's football team also hasn't changed their home kit colours / main design since 1910. And currently on the FIFA ranking at 6th.

The Squad

GK

1. Fernando Muslera, aged 27 plays for the Turkish club Galatasaray. Also enjoys posting food online, 57 caps.

12. Rodrigo Martín Muñoz Salomón. aged 32, 0 caps, gotta get swole!

23 Martín Silva, aged 31, 4 caps (even though he was in Uruguay national under-17 football team and the Uruguay national under-20 football team prior). Brazilian club Vasco da Gama and he's 'that annoying guy' who keeps showing you baby photos.

DF

2. Diego Lugano (captain) 33, isn't in any club at the moment but last club he played for was West Bromwich Albion. 93caps and 9 goals with Uruguay. Uruguay on the left.

3. Diego Godín 28, Atlético Madrid defender. Can not take Football Coming Home Lightly.

4. Sebastián Coates, Liverpool Defender

13. Jorge Fucile, F.C. Porto defender 29 and still kickin' the soulpatch. 41 capes.

16. Victorio Maximiliano "Maxi" Pereira Páez, club Benfica

19. José María Giménez de Vargas, Atletico Madrid, he being scouted hard

22. Martín Cáceres, Juventus F.C.. Aged 27

MF

5. Walter Gargano, plays for Parma soon to be Parmo

6. Álvaro Pereira, São Paulo FC again. He gets bored really fast and chances his hair style.

7. Cristian Rodríguez, another Atlético Madrid player. His nickname is Cebolla (onion) because of his dad.

14. Nicolás Lodeiro, currently plays for Corinthians. Uruguayan Monster!

15. Diego Pérez, old man aged 34 Bologna

17. Egidio Arévalo Ríos PARMO

18. Gastón Ramírez, club Southampton

20. Álvaro Rafael González Luengo
plays for Lazio in the Italian Serie A

FW

8. Christian Stuani, THE MASK 2.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am1_8KdQzVQ

9. Luis Alberto Suárez Díaz, plays for liverpool. Got fined £40,000 fine for racism towards Patrice Evra, known cannibal trying to eat Branislav Ivanovic DURING the match. Keep that for a home lads! Other wacky and zany poo poo. He's gonna try and eat some English meat.

10. Diego Forlán plays for Cerezo Osaka in Japan as he enjoys "soapland" and "anime".

11. Abel Hernández. True parmo, this is you guys, right here. Parmo guy!

21. Edinson Cavani, plays for Paris Saint-Germain F.C. He finished his first season with 25 goals in 43 games across all competitions, including 16 in 30 league games. His elder brother is striker Walter Guglielmone. Also Manchester United & Chelsea are interested in him.

The key players
Strikers Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani have become the standard bearers for Uruguayan football and the national team over the last couple of years. The Liverpool man ended the South American preliminaries as the leading scorer with 11 goals, and was the second most-used player by coach Oscar Tabarez. The deadly duo have plenty of ballast behind them, with the vastly experienced Diego Lugano directing rearguard operations with aplomb, and Fernando Muslera providing a safe pair of hands between the posts. Even so, after an often-troubled qualifying campaign El Maestro Tabarez will no doubt be looking to shuffle his pack and build up some momentum ahead of Brazil 2014.

Current coach: Oscar Washington Tabarez, Uruguay born and breed. Played defender for Sud América, Sportivo Italiano (Argentina), Montevideo Wanderers, Fénix, Puebla in Mexico and Bella Vista. Then managed:
1980–1983 Bella Vista
1983 Uruguay U20
1984 Danubio
1985–1986 Montevideo Wanderers
1987 Peñarol
1987 Uruguay U20
1988 Deportivo Cali
1988–1990 Uruguay
1991–1993 Boca Juniors
1993–1994 Peñarol
1994–1995 Cagliari
1996 Milan
1997–1998 Oviedo
1998–1999 Cagliari
2001 Vélez Sársfield
2002 Boca Juniors
2006– Uruguay
2012 Uruguay Olympic

How do they play?

Style & formation: As qualifying went on, coach Oscar Tabarez settled on a pragmatic 4-4-2. The industrious Edinson Cavani leads the line, with Luis Suarez given licence to roam.
Tabarez, however, is not afraid to switch formations, doing so in away matches and during the Confederations Cup to counteract the opposition, including playing 3-5-2 and 4-3-3. Expect him to vary it up in Brazil.

Strengths: In Luis Suarez, Edinson Cavani and the evergreen Diego Forlan, Uruguay possess magnificent striking options.

Highlights: Italy edge out Uruguay in Confederations Cup
Oscar Tabarez has also reintroduced the Uruguayan characteristic 'garra' - an inner belief that they are tougher than their opponent, both technically and mentally.

Weaknesses: An ageing Uruguay defence conceded 25 goals in qualifying (16 away). Experienced centre-back pairing Diego Godin and captain Diego Lugano can have their lack of pace exposed and are prone to committing fouls once beaten.
Uruguay could do with Liverpool defender Sebastian Coates to return fit and well from his anterior cruciate injury and recapture the excellent form he showed at the 2011 Copa America.

If they aren't all stoned, they have quite a good chance of winning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8emMTOFkhp0

Fluo fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Diego Lugano is honestly useless and somehow managed to look a liability even in our complete shitshow of a defence. So you better hope that Suarez and Cavani can outscore the number of defensive errors he makes... and even with those 2 up-front you'll be lucky.

I can't believe he's the captain.

SandersPacheco
Jul 15, 2004

Faster than light
Bit disappointed that Polidoro hasn't showed up.

Also, the famous "garra charrúa" is just a nice way to say "kick and punch everyone, leave no man standing".

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Thanks for making the thread Fluo, but you forgot about Cáceres:

He's poo poo, op. He's the captain because he's supposed to be a positive leader for the group and Tabárez is an idiot and keeps calling up players to do his job for him. He's been making Godín and Maxi Pereira look bad (or worse than they are in the case of Maxi) since before the Copa America started. Only a broken leg against Slovenia this week can save us.

SandersPacheco posted:

Also, the famous "garra charrúa" is just a nice way to say "kick and punch everyone, leave no man standing".

It used to be like that, then Tabárez came and the charrúas have been declawed. We even won the fair play trophy in the last Copa América ffs!

This play made it ok, though.

I think we won't beat Costa Rica because not only we are poo poo, we are especially poo poo on the first game of every tournament we play.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
I'll be sipping my yerba mate as I watch Uruguay and my favorite player, Luis Suarez (probably not play because he's hurt)

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

I'll be sipping my yerba mate as I watch Uruguay and my favorite player, Luis Suarez (probably not play because he's hurt)

So say he should be ready be ready for the England game but its not 100% confirmed yet.

Also hopefully sometime tonight will get around to adding the rest of the players going to the world cup who aren't number 1-12.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Suarez started weight training and continuous walking today. They are pretty optimist about him playing against Costa Rica. I don't think he'll play even if he's fit. The front line will be Cavani, Forlan and Stuani with Cavani or Stuani actually playing right back as usual.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I hope that Alvaro 'El Flaco' Fernandez can make the squad again :ohdear:

Loved watching him play for my Seattle Sounders FC. Currently, he plays for Gimnasia La Plata in Argentina.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Well, he didn't. Here's the definitive 23 man squad:

ARQUEROS

Muslera, Fernando – Galatasaray (Turquía)
Silva, Martín – Vasco Da Gama (Brasil)
Muñoz, Rodrigo – Libertad (Paraguay)

DEFENSORES

Lugano, Diego – West Bromwich Albion (Inglaterra)
Godín, Diego – Atlético de Madrid (España)
Giménez, José María – Atlético de Madrid (España)
Cáceres, Martín – Juventus (Italia)
Pereira, Maximiliano – Benfica (Portugal)
Fucile, Jorge – Porto (Portugal)
Coates, Sebastián – Nacional (Uruguay)

VOLANTES

Arévalo Ríos, Egidio – Morelia (México)
Gargano, Walter – Parma (Italia)
Pérez, Diego – Bologna (Italia)
González, Álvaro – Lazio (Italia))
Pereira, Álvaro – San Pablo (Brasil)
Rodríguez, Cristian – Atlético de Madrid (España)
Ramírez, Gastón – Southampton (Inglaterra)
Lodeiro, Nicolás – Botafogo (Brasil)

ATACANTES

Cavani, Edinson – P.S.G. (Francia)
Suárez, Luis – Liverpool (Inglaterra)
Forlán, Diego – Cerezo Osaka (Japón)
Hernández, Abel – Palermo (Italia)
Stuani, Christian – Espanyol (España)

Quite a lot of poo poo players, not as poo poo as el flaco Fernández, though.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Polidoro posted:

I'm working on it!!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Polidoro posted:

(People who play soccer)

Quite a lot of poo poo players, not as poo poo as el flaco Fernández, though.

Sadness.

At least he was my poo poo player.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Ok added them all.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Uruguay are the current Unofficial Football World Champions and if they don't lose to Slovenia in their last warm up match they will be taking their title into the world cup. Exciting stuff.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Half of those players look fat as hell

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Uruguay - Slovenia is on. Last chance for Lugano to get injured.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Arevalo Rios is fat as hell and this new super tight kit isn't doing him any favors.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Uruguay won 2-0. Our defense seems shaky but Cavani is playing well and Stuani can't stop scoring.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Tabarez announced the team to start against Costa Rica tomorrow (in code tags!):

code:
            Muslera
M.Pereira Lugano Godin Caceres
	Gargano Arevalo
   Stuani  Forlan  Rodríguez
	   Cavani
Suarez played football with the rest of the team in training today but I don't think he will get any minutes.

Also, Muslera was attacked by ants last night in his bed: https://twitter.com/1_Muslera_25/status/477433380385349632/photo/1

Fluo
May 25, 2007

So that Red Card was pretty lol?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Fluo posted:

So that Red Card was pretty lol?

i loved it

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Gas thread, ban OP.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

lol

Polidoro posted:

this group will be decided by who scores the most against uruguay

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Well that was a complete disaster. Thoughts on the England match? BTW, I'm primarily a US supporter but my stepdad (who adopted me) is from Uruguay in case you are doubting my credentials ;)

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
So much for the "dark horse"... I don't see Uruguay getting more than 0 points this WC. As evidenced by the red card, they don't have the character to persist. Italy and England to progress, with Costarica a greater hurdle than Uruguay.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

Well that was a complete disaster. Thoughts on the England match? BTW, I'm primarily a US supporter but my stepdad (who adopted me) is from Uruguay in case you are doubting my credentials ;)

Tell your dad I'm sorry about our poo poo team.
About England, I really don't see us doing anything. Players said they had no physical response to try and tie the game against Costa Rica. If they can't run on their first game I don't think they'll do it on their second one.

Seems like Tabárez forgot that the only thing sort of keeping it together for the team was the amount of running around our midfield guys made every game. The guys can't run like that anymore and he doesn't change anything. I guess he got old and stubborn, it's been 8 years after all.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
Lugano is a loving garbageman god drat

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Polidoro posted:

Tell your dad I'm sorry about our poo poo team.
About England, I really don't see us doing anything. Players said they had no physical response to try and tie the game against Costa Rica. If they can't run on their first game I don't think they'll do it on their second one.

Seems like Tabárez forgot that the only thing sort of keeping it together for the team was the amount of running around our midfield guys made every game. The guys can't run like that anymore and he doesn't change anything. I guess he got old and stubborn, it's been 8 years after all.

Well I haven't talked to him since he moved back to Uruguay, but thanks.

vivisectvnv posted:

Lugano is a loving garbageman god drat

Looks like said garbageman is out tomorrow, will Tabarez be forced to play someone good?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

It's all pretty weird right now. Lugano was asked in a press conference about getting an ice treatment on his knee and he got pretty mad about it because nobody knew but players and some FA people and someone told the press.

I think it's pretty funny how it only took one loss for this supposedly great group of people to start falling apart.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Polidoro posted:

It's all pretty weird right now. Lugano was asked in a press conference about getting an ice treatment on his knee and he got pretty mad about it because nobody knew but players and some FA people and someone told the press.

I think it's pretty funny how it only took one loss for this supposedly great group of people to start falling apart.

Who is the most likely replacement?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Well, it's either Coates or Jose Maria Giménez for Lugano. Neither of them played much during the season. Coates did his ACL and only started playing recently and josema is 19 and has been warming the bench for Atlético Madrid the whole season.

We also need to replace maxi pereira because he is suspended, we could play Alvaro Pereira and move Cáceres to the right or play Fucile on the right. Fucile hasn't played for Porto in months and Alvaro Pereira sucks pretty hard.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Is Luis Suarez's 2010 handball considered cheating? Read some article about Ghana because schadenfreude and came across the 2010 event and I'm a little confused as to why people think it's cheating? I mean, he committed a penalty, got a red card and was duly penalized; better question, what would be considered cheating in football besides doing pulling a Shoeless Joe and throwing a game?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Furious Lobster posted:

Is Luis Suarez's 2010 handball considered cheating? Read some article about Ghana because schadenfreude and came across the 2010 event and I'm a little confused as to why people think it's cheating? I mean, he committed a penalty, got a red card and was duly penalized; better question, what would be considered cheating in football besides doing pulling a Shoeless Joe and throwing a game?

It was and wasn't "cheating". He committed a foul knowing he'd get sent off and Ghana hosed it up.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

tbp posted:

It was and wasn't "cheating". He committed a foul knowing he'd get sent off and Ghana hosed it up.

So it's cheating to purposefully to commit a foul? Genuinely curious here.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's gamesmanship.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Furious Lobster posted:

So it's cheating to purposefully to commit a foul? Genuinely curious here.

I mean that depends on your point of view. I thought it was clever at the time and the right move (this was before Suarez went to Liverpool too). Others more aggrieved by it will be more vitriolic.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

tbp posted:

I mean that depends on your point of view. I thought it was clever at the time and the right move (this was before Suarez went to Liverpool too). Others more aggrieved by it will be more vitriolic.

I also agree with your impression in that it was a clever strategic move that made it possible for Uruguay to move on. Thanks for the clarification!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Cheating-versus-gamesmanship is a bit difficult to define, but I think the difference is that a cheater is trying to avoid detection/punishment for whatever he's doing, while Suarez correctly weighed that the benefits of breaking a rule were greater than the penalties for doing so.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Cheating-versus-gamesmanship is a bit difficult to define, but I think the difference is that a cheater is trying to avoid detection/punishment for whatever he's doing, while Suarez correctly weighed that the benefits of breaking a rule were greater than the penalties for doing so.

Yeah. If the ghana player makes that penalty, then all accusations of cheating go out the door imo. It's lovely and everyone wanted to see Ghana win, but Suarez just played the rules of the game correctly, even if its distasteful.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Brazilian press reporting that customs have held up 39 kilos of dulce de leche belonging to tbe Uruguayan nt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

joepinetree posted:

Brazilian press reporting that customs have held up 39 kilos of dulce de leche belonging to tbe Uruguayan nt.

shameful sabotage

• Locked thread