Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Uruguay is 3.5 million people surrounded by Argentina and Brazil. They gotta be a bit mad to stay at the top. IMHO Suarez does what it takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Also he's bit a Dutch league player, a Chels, and an Italian. I'm fine with all of those.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if there are some players who gets turned on playing against Suarez, knowing there's a chance he might bite them?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Chiellini deserved some kind of retribution for how many times he was blatantly timewasting by faking injuries, imo. I'm glad Suarez bit him.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

Polidoro posted:

I don't understand how can people be OK with Roy Keane (to name an example) and get all upset at Suarez. He did an incredibly stupid and highly unusual thing but on a violence scale it's still pretty low compared to purposefully trying to end someone's career.

1) plenty of people aren't ok with Roy Keene for doing that.

2) if Keane had done his leg breaking tackle three times in three years, he would have been run out of the game.

3) at least after Keane did it, he didn't writhe around holding his foot in agony because someone had dared touch it, like Suarez did with his loving teeth.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Suarez has form for trying to destroy other players knees too he just got lucky that it didn't happen

Jimmmmah
Oct 11, 2000
Forum Veteran
Roy Keane didn't break anyones leg or end anyones career, it was a nasty challenge which he was banned for and fined, the Suarez matter is no way part of 'casual play' like he says though.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
People are going to talk about this ordeal for decades, Luis Suarez has bought his place in football history. This world cup delivers on all fronts.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

vulturesrow posted:

Plenty of people dive (and I dont really think he does it much anymore) and I feel quite confident in saying that Suarez isn't a racist. In fact if I thought he was genuinely racist I'd be a lot less enthusiastic in my support of him.

lmao

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Suárez’s lawyer, Alejandro Balbi, said he was preparing a case to show Suárez had been unfairly targeted and would use “all the arguments possible” to clear his client. “We don’t have any doubts that this has happened because it’s Suárez involved and secondly because Italy have been eliminated,” he told Uruguayan radio. “There’s a lot of pressure from England and Italy. There is a possibility that they ban him, because there are precedents, but we are convinced that it was an absolutely casual play, because if Chiellini can show a scratch on one shoulder, Suárez can show a bruised and an almost closed eye.”

The Uruguayan FA also claims that images of bite marks on Chiellini’s shoulder had been Photoshopped to make them appear worse than they were. “If every player starts showing the injuries he suffers and they open inquiries for them everything will be way too complicated in the future,” Balbi said. “We’re going to use all the arguments possible so that Luis gets out in the best possible way.

Also saw somewhere that Suarez himself said that the bite marks were obviously of an old teeth mark shaped scar. :allears:

Patient_Toffee
Apr 21, 2006

Break me off, show me what you got
Cause I don't want, no one minute man
He's a great player but you can't loving go round biting people whenever you get frustrated. He should get a ban from football for the whole of next season.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Volkerball posted:

Also saw somewhere that Suarez himself said that the bite marks were obviously of an old teeth mark shaped scar. :allears:
That was Lugano and I fully support a lifetime ban for him.

I don't think Suárez will be banned for his club but he'll get a long international ban.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Here are more details on how the Uruguayan FA is contending that a lot of the images being seen are photoshopped:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/25/luis-suarez-uruguay-fight-against-ban

A photo I've seen on Gizmodo and some sports websites:

Volkerball posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BofddwtPBPw

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 26, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

Plenty of people dive (and I dont really think he does it much anymore) and I feel quite confident in saying that Suarez isn't a racist. In fact if I thought he was genuinely racist I'd be a lot less enthusiastic in my support of him. The biting thing is pretty loving bizarre I'll admit but again, I'd take that over a lot of unsporting behavior.

So you're saying that Suarez shouldn't have got fined £40,000 fine for racism towards Patrice Evra because racism isn't racism? :tinfoil:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

calcio posted:

So Uruguay is Liverpool South America. Both are equally retarded.

Luckily you support every other team aside from them lol

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://twitter.com/eaamalyon/status/482157730032279552

quote:

Ed Malyon
‏@eaamalyon
Reports in Uruguay it is NINE games for Suarez and four month ban from football!

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(

Polidoro posted:

I don't understand how can people be OK with Roy Keane (to name an example) and get all upset at Suarez. He did an incredibly stupid and highly unusual thing but on a violence scale it's still pretty low compared to purposefully trying to end someone's career.

You don't hear people saying "I wouldn't be upset if I never saw Pepe (or De Jong) play again" even if they really wouldn't, but with Suarez they feel the need to say such things and I don't understand that.

I'm not saying he's not a oval office, but he's our oval office as much of a oval office as a lot of players who go under the radar maybe because they are not as good as him.

Anyway, gently caress Suarez we're gonna beat Colombia playing Abel "I can can only shoot it straight at the keeper but it somehow still goes in sometimes" Hernandez and FIFA will weep.

I agree with this 100%.
Whatever, I've been saying that this is La Joya's WC so we need him to get banned (UPDATE: he just did, 9 games ban).

I'd say Uruguay is 50/50 defending him and thinking he should get banned.

edit: lots of a people are actually saying "ok, ban him, but you should also do something for other acts of violence in this WC, for example Neymar elbowing some Croatian."

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

He shouldn't have gotten banned

Dekaar
Mar 31, 2012

tbp posted:

He can't even enter a football stadium during his ban haha.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Nine games is about ok. The four months on top of that seems a tad excessive. At least he's allowed to appeal.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Dekaar posted:

He can't even enter a football stadium during his ban haha.

Conspiracy stuff right here

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
That's a miscarriage of justice.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Why is it nine games AND four months? Surely he'd normally play nine games within four months anyway.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Darth Windu posted:

Why is it nine games AND four months? Surely he'd normally play nine games within four months anyway.

9 internationals and 4 months of everything, including club play.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
RIP Uruguay.

lol at Suarez not even being allowed in stadiums for 4 months. This is better than expected.

halwain
May 31, 2011

tbp posted:

Yes because biting people and being a racist rear end in a top hat is completly normal. This should happen a lot more.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Gigi Galli posted:

9 internationals and 4 months of everything, including club play.

Ah, rough.

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

It's too bad he won't be able to be in the stadium when Godin lifts the cup :(

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soft IMO was hoping for 6

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

vyelkin posted:

Chiellini deserved some kind of retribution for how many times he was blatantly timewasting by faking injuries, imo. I'm glad Suarez bit him.

Well, his team got eliminated, so I'd say he got his without the bite

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i was hoping for 50 lashings and a hand cut off, but i'm a jihadist.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
gently caress Suarez and gently caress Uruguay, I hope Colombia wins by a million goals.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

halwain posted:

Yes because biting people and being a racist rear end in a top hat is completly normal. This should happen a lot more.

It is, and I do both every day.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

I was told at the World Cup Mod convention that racism was cool again.

El Hefe posted:

gently caress Suarez and gently caress Uruguay, I hope Colombia wins by a million goals.

That won't take you to the WC lol

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

So I guess now this is what happens:
Uruguay wins it all, defeating Brazil in the process (obviously) and when Blatter is about to give us the cup we'll tell him to gently caress off and go home.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah, either that or we lose to Colombia and go home.

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

But that's not as fun :(

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Gigi Galli posted:

I actually thought his handball against Ghana was an unironically brilliant move. I don't know if there's a phrase for this in English or Spanish but in Italian it's common to say that "you need a little evil (to win)" and that's what that was.

calcio posted:

No one should have had a problem with the Ghana incident. Besides not showing a little humility with his dumb trollness in the tunnel watching. It's the leg breaking incident at Ajax with the bite. Then the racism and bite at Liverpool and now the bite with Uruguay.

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't see why that's a move people criticize him for. He didn't hurt any other player by committing it, and it was a tactically brilliant decision like you said because it at least gave his team a chance.

If the US was hypothetically in that situation I'd hope that any player given a chance to do the same would.
I disagree.

For some fans there are better or worse ways to win. Having the match fixed in advance is a "worse" way for most, but I'm sure some fans would not care. On the other hand, some fans would rather lose than play "negative" football. Everyone has a different tolerance for "evil" in their team. I think it is obvious how Italians feel :D

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Well, time to ask again. Gas thread, ban OP from all forums related activity for four months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Polidoro posted:

Well, time to ask again. Gas thread, ban OP from all forums related activity for four months.

On it.

• Locked thread