Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

It might have escaped your attention but very soon, the biggest and second most magical sporting event in the universe The FIFA World Cup is coming up (and home).

Around this time in The Ray Parlour, we tend to get a lot of new soccer fans popping in to enjoy the carnival atmosphere here in the theatre of memes, so I thought it would be nice if we had a thread to welcome them.

Posting in The Big 'P as we call it can be an intimidating and dangerous experience as there are a few known trolls who are inexplicably allowed to roam free by our so called moderator, but for the most part, we are all good lads who mean well and just want everyone to have a fun and inclusive posting time.

So come on new fans, tell us about yourselves. Where are you from? Who will you be supporting in Brazil 2014, and Why? Perhaps you love the colour of their kits, or you use them in the popular video game FIFA, or maybe one of your many ancestors came from one of the most successful footballing nations in the world. Let us know if you'll be sticking around after the World Cup, the various club sides you support, or even if you have any suggestions as to how soccer could be improved? We'd love to hear all about it.

Its not just a one way street though so feel free to ask us, the soccer veterans, anything at all about the beautiful game.

Given the demographics of SA its likely that you, the new fan, are American so here is a selection of threads that may interest you:

Italy Thread
Germany Thread
The Jozy Altidore Thread
USMNT Thread
MLS Thread

This thread comes with the Fat Ronaldo seal of approval.

p.s. Mods please sticky this thread and regularly patrol it for trolls thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
You should probably also link the Spain thread in the OP, with Mardids triumph in the league and champions trophy Spain will probably be a popular side for our newer viewers who want to get behind a successful side.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Top thread OP, this thread is now designated a safe space for new fans and I will mod it accordingly.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
As an Australian and therefore a racist I disapprove of any new people in the forum. Shame on you op

Stop the boats

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hi! I would like to invite all newcomers to the friendly Orange thread. Many Americans have Dutch roots, heck, did you know that New York City used to be called New Amsterdam? Come join us, brothers in Orange, and let's celebrate our heritage!

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Tongues posted:

As an Australian and therefore a racist I disapprove of any new people in the forum. Shame on you op

Stop the boats

gently caress OFF WE'RE FULL

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Tongues posted:

Stop the boats

As a fellow Australian I would just like to say this oval office is a oval office and any new cunts who want to come in are only too welcome to be shipped off to an off-subforum processing centre while we determine if you meet real fan status.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Byolante posted:

As a fellow Australian I would just like to say this oval office is a oval office and any new cunts who want to come in are only too welcome to be shipped off to an off-subforum processing centre while we determine if you meet real fan status.

agreed on all counts

Come post in our thread we need the tourism dollars

edited to add Jedinak feasting on non-Australian and therefore futile world cup dreams

Tongues fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 2, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

From Scotland, supporting Croatia, because I've heard on good authority their play style is "11 men, all with unpronounceable names, have turned up to a football game with the express intention of having a fight with the other team."

And y'know, that's a style I can get behind.

Almost took Holland though, after being shown a video of one of their players straight-up fly-kicking another player in the sternum.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 2, 2014

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
It's ok to support Italy if you want, there are only a few posters on this board that will demand birth certificates and citizenship credentials.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hi new fans!

There are 32 teams in the World Cup, representing 32 different countries. If you don't know where they all are on a globe, that's okay! Most players at the World Cup won't know either. Anyway, since this is your one stop shop for new information, I thought I'd provide a public service and let you find all the information the football veterans of TRP have put together for the various teams.

The 32 countries are divided into 8 groups of 4 teams each. Each team plays each other team in their group once, and the two most successful teams move on to the knockout round.

Group A

Group A contains Brazil, the host country, who will kick off the tournament against Croatia on June 12th.
Brazil thread
Croatia thread
Mexico thread
Cameroon thread

Group B

Group B contains Spain, winners of the 2010 World Cup and reigning champions, as well as the Netherlands, who were the runners-up in the 2010 final.
Spain thread
Netherlands thread
Chile thread
Australia thread

Group C

Colombia thread
Greece thread
Cote d'Ivoire thread
Japan thread

Group D

Uruguay thread
Costa Rica thread
England thread
Italy thread

Group E

Switzerland thread
No Ecuador thread yet, sorry!
France thread
Honduras thread

Group F

Argentina thread
Bosnia and Herzegovina thread
Iran thread
Nigeria thread

Group G

The Group of Death. Sorry, Americans.
Germany thread
Portugal thread
Ghana thread
USA thread

Group H

Belgium thread
Algeria thread
Russia thread
South Korea thread

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Hey new fans, if you try to root for the Red Devils by saying you have like Belgian heritage no one can actually confirm that!! Because we're already a huge loving melting pot on our own

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
The actual Group of Death is group D, by the way.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Dunban posted:

The actual Group of Death is group D, by the way.

Please, this is a no-trolling zone. The actual Group of Death is group B.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012
Hopefully this youtube answers any questions you have about football (soccer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXxqmAxDlYU

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
Welcome new posting brothers and sisters. I hope you all have fresh new insights and commentary to bring to this forum, and don't be afraid to root for the old U S of A!!!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I look forward to experiencing the thoughts, desires and passion of all new contributors to this forum for the duration of the World Cup and beyond.

Come, friends, old and new: lets post.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Welcome new fans! I hope you have a great World Cup and come away from it with a new-found appreciation for The Beautiful Game. If you're looking for a team to get behind, why not try Scotland? An up-and-coming team with plenty of young talent that has shot up the world rankings in recent years, and the best part is that we aren't even playing in the World Cup, so you don't have to take time out of your busy schedule to watch football (soccer)!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I'm excited to see lots of passionate new soccer/football fans here, for the greatest sporting event, hell, the greatest event of any kind, the world has to offer. If it's your first WC you're in for a treat.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Blue Screen Error posted:

It might have escaped your attention but very soon, the biggest and second most magical sporting event in the universe The FIFA World Cup is coming up (and home).

Around this time in The Ray Parlour, we tend to get a lot of new soccer fans popping in to enjoy the carnival atmosphere here in the theatre of memes, so I thought it would be nice if we had a thread to welcome them.

Posting in The Big 'P as we call it can be an intimidating and dangerous experience as there are a few known trolls who are inexplicably allowed to roam free by our so called moderator, but for the most part, we are all good lads who mean well and just want everyone to have a fun and inclusive posting time.

So come on new fans, tell us about yourselves. Where are you from? Who will you be supporting in Brazil 2014, and Why? Perhaps you love the colour of their kits, or you use them in the popular video game FIFA, or maybe one of your many ancestors came from one of the most successful footballing nations in the world. Let us know if you'll be sticking around after the World Cup, the various club sides you support, or even if you have any suggestions as to how soccer could be improved? We'd love to hear all about it.

Its not just a one way street though so feel free to ask us, the soccer veterans, anything at all about the beautiful game.

Given the demographics of SA its likely that you, the new fan, are American so here is a selection of threads that may interest you:

Italy Thread
Germany Thread
The Jozy Altidore Thread
USMNT Thread
MLS Thread

This thread comes with the Fat Ronaldo seal of approval.

p.s. Mods please sticky this thread and regularly patrol it for trolls thanks in advance.

Hi it's me Fat Ronaldo, the ONE TRUE RONALD and I approve this mmessage.

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

why do the dudes in the back sometimes go forward?

whats the difference between a full back, right back, and a right winger?

why does some dude always act like he's gonna throw it in but then doesn't and hands it off to another dude who actually throws it in?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Calliper posted:

why does some dude always act like he's gonna throw it in but then doesn't and hands it off to another dude who actually throws it in?

Football positions aren't set in stone, a defender can attack and a striker can defend, if a situation arises that warrants it. Centre backs are usually tall so will go forward for set pieces (corners/free kicks).

a right back is a full back, and a left back is also a full back. they're the two guys at the side of the central defenders. a right winger is the man in front of the right back, who probably excels at crossing and dribbling, and is fast. He may or may not 'track back' which means 'help his defender'.

It could be time wasting, it could just be that the player doesn't have an obvious pass and his mate can throw it further than he can.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Calliper posted:

To elaborate on this one a little bit, typically the team will have a designated throw-in taker, usually the fullback on whichever side the throw-in is happening from. However, they're not always right there when the ball goes out. So whichever player reaches the ball first will usually pick it up and check if there's an opportunity to take a quick throw in before the opposition defence gets into position. Usually there isn't actually a good opportunity for this, so he hands it off to the designated throw-in taker when that player arrives.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Throw in rules are very complicated, for example they are supposed to be taken from where the ball went out but in the Laws Of The Game it actually says you're allowed to go as far forward from that point as you like as long as you do it with a little shuffly walk.

Handing the ball to another player allows them to go forward normally a couple of steps.

At least I assume thats how it works, a ref will be along in a minute to confirm.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Calliper posted:

Most of everyone answered this already but I'll help clarify a little more on No. 1. In addition to set pieces (Free Kicks and Corners), sometimes they push forward to help out the attack. An example of this would be Germany VS Kazakhstan last year. The Keeper for Germany was able to push so far up that he took a back pass at the half field mark.

Another reason defenders will push up is if they have a clear chance for an attack. Fullbacks tend to have more opportunity to do this, but you will sometimes see a defender run into the midfield making an attacking run. Fullbacks are the ones who will push forward the most, mainly to assist the wingers with keeping the ball forward and providing an option in case they need to get rid of the ball.

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

so wingers would be more midfield players and not considered part of the back line?

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Calliper posted:

so wingers would be more midfield players and not considered part of the back line?

Depends, now a days the Big Thing is for wingers to cut inside (move into attacking positions), this opens up space for fullbacks who can then do a cross or w/e. Full backs are required to run and run and run but wingers are more or less considered pseudo-attackers and will hardly do any defensive work (This is true for the big stars at least like Cristiano Ronaldo, Eden Hazard and the likes).

Instead, the defensive midfielder stays back with the two centre backs effectively creating a three man defence.

Also, welcome new posting World Cup friends.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Calliper posted:

Wingers are midfield players so yes.

Don't get too caught up in formations and positions. It's more fluid than in any other sport.

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

Thanks a lot everyone. Really helpful stuff

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

From Scotland, supporting Croatia, because I've heard on good authority their play style is "11 men, all with unpronounceable names, have turned up to a football game with the express intention of having a fight with the other team."

And y'know, that's a style I can get behind.

Almost took Holland though, after being shown a video of one of their players straight-up fly-kicking another player in the sternum.

If you want that same style with more quality players, Bosnia is also a good shout.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Troy Queef posted:

If you want that same style with more quality players, Bosnia is also a good shout.

Alright, I'm essentially supporting Former Yugoslavia FC.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
I would like to know which is unironically the worst team in the entire WC so I can "root for the underdog". can any kind poster assist me with this

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The team with Jozy Altidore in it will universally be the worst team

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

coffeetable posted:

I would like to know which is unironically the worst team in the entire WC so I can "root for the underdog". can any kind poster assist me with this

Tossup between Algeria and Iran probably.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Tossup between Algeria and Iran probably.

Its definitely Honduras.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Australia will be shockingly bad.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

coffeetable posted:

FIFA rankings would have you believe that its Australia. I reckon its probably Iran. Nigeria will probably do the worst as they love a bit of match fixing.

The No! Team
Jan 6, 2012

coffeetable posted:

They might not be the worst team, but the team with the least chance to get out of their group is probably Australia. Plus the Australia-thread will most likely be more lively than the really bad teams. Australians are known as quite avid rooters.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

There's a few active Australia posters itf too so you'll have people to share the agony with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

coffeetable posted:

Don't listen to these negative bastards, Australia is gonna win it all and it's going to loving rule.

You should still root for Australia as much as you can :australia:

• Locked thread