Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

coffeetable posted:

I would like to know which is unironically the worst team in the entire WC so I can "root for the underdog". can any kind poster assist me with this

Also if you enjoy shooting up some bootleg steroids then glassing a oval office at 2am outside a night club australia is a good choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

There's a few active Australia posters itf too so you'll have people to share the agony with.

gently caress OFF, WE'RE FULL!

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

coffeetable posted:

I would like to know which is unironically the worst team in the entire WC so I can "root for the underdog". can any kind poster assist me with this

According to the betting men, Costa Rica is the most unlikely team to win the FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

in my fm game croatia won so i'm supporting them

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

How are Germany looking? What's their general style?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The answers to all of your questions lie here.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

They have depth a every position and versatile players. Since there is only one actual forward (shame about Gomez) it wont be balls out attacking. However, Id take Low over Pep anyday with how to manage a predominately Bayern team.

Expect Muller to be gangly as gently caress and score awesome goals, Reus to blister down the wings, and Klose to take out his walker and teach the defenders a thing or two about osteoporosis.

Klose will also beat Ronaldos record

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
It's less than 10 days now party people, hope you're all in the mood to kick some footballs!

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Soulex posted:

They have depth a every position and versatile players. Since there is only one actual forward[...]

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

It's a post from Soulex, the American Fiorentina fan who is based in Germany and literally has no legs tbf.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

And?

Klose is listed as the only forward on the sheet I looked at. This isn't saying that Muller or schurlle or who ever else won't be jumping in there.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Shrapnig posted:

It's a post from Soulex, the American Fiorentina fan who is based in Germany and literally has no legs tbf.

Don't troll in this thread please, thanks

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

They're really, really good and play probably the most direct attacking style. If you are a neutral and want to support a team that could win it, I would watch Germany.

None of this matters though, because they can't beat Spain or Italy.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

If you're american, you don't like germany because they're one of the haves of world football, and we're one of the have-nots yet we have to play them in the decider group match, assuming we're not already eliminated. Underdog factor.

e. However, their style of play is very attractive in the earlier rounds generally, while they're demolishing someone.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mr. Mambold posted:

If you're american, you don't like germany because they're one of the haves of world football, and we're one of the have-nots yet we have to play them in the decider group match, assuming we're not already eliminated. Underdog factor.

e. However, their style of play is very attractive in the earlier rounds generally, while they're demolishing someone.

I'm Scottish. We could not be any more have-not.

Blue Screen Error posted:

Have you considered supporting England?

:getout:

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 3, 2014

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Have you considered supporting England?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

blueyedevil posted:

They're really, really good and play probably the most direct attacking style. If you are a neutral and want to support a team that could win it, I would watch Germany.

None of this matters though, because they can't beat Spain or Italy.

They won't need to beat Spain thought because its Chile and Australia leaving THE GROUP OF DEATH

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Why doesn't FIFA or the professional football leagues like EPL not have instant replay for controversial calls or plays that the officials did not see? I know it's not even widespread in US professional sports but there have been some terrible officiating that goes on in WC, Hand of God being the most obvious, but there have been times when I watched games and the referees were missing such obvious calls that a football newbie like myself could have caught.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Furious Lobster posted:

Why doesn't FIFA or the professional football leagues like EPL not have instant replay for controversial calls or plays that the officials did not see? I know it's not even widespread in US professional sports but there have been some terrible officiating that goes on in WC, Hand of God being the most obvious, but there have been times when I watched games and the referees were missing such obvious calls that a football newbie like myself could have caught.

The people who decide on rule changes in football are deeply committed to making sure the flow of the game continues. That means preventing unnecessary stoppages in play. The theorized problem with instant replay is always something along the lines of "A player goes down in the box and the referee thinks it wasn't a penalty, so he waves play on. The other team gets the ball, gets a quick break, and scores at the other end. On instant replay, you see that it clearly was a penalty and play should have stopped before the other team scored. What do you do?" Either way, you're screwed half the time. If you stop play and wait for the instant replay, and it turns out not to be a penalty, you're denying the defending team the chance at a counterattack. If you keep play going and it turns out it was a penalty, you've denied the attacking team a deserved penalty. This is not a problem in most other sports (especially American sports), because they have stoppages all the time--in many sports, between every play. With this problem in mind, the people who make the rules have committed to sticking with the version of the rules that limits stoppages and keeps football as a free-flowing game.

That being said, they are slowly adopting new technological improvements. Goal-line technology will be used for the first time at a World Cup this year, which means the referee will have a definitive record of whether or not a ball has fully crossed the line, preventing 'ghost' goals being given (where the ball does not cross the line but the referee thinks it has) and preventing legitimate goals from being ruled out. In sticking with the above problem, though, FIFA's requirement for their goal-line technology is that the referee gets a signal (on their watch) that a goal has been scored within one second of it happening. It's not an instant replay thing that would stop the game, it's an instant signal sent to the ref that a goal has been scored, so he knows to stop the game and award it, and if his watch doesn't go off then he knows to let play continue.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

:getout:
Hello there op, have you considered supporting Argentina and get back at those imperialist pig dogs currently occupying the Malvinas Argentinas?

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

As a Welshamn I shall be supporting England this FIFA World Cup 2014. Unless they get to the final, at which point they can gently caress off.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Furious Lobster posted:

I wouldnt want to live in a world where they'd disallowed The Hand of God goal.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

atomic gog posted:

Its one of the most iconic world cup images ever, if not the most.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

atomic gog posted:

Imagine football being invented in Sharia Saudi Arabia- he'd have had that hand cut off on the spot....come to think

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Reminder that earlier that match this happened https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wVho3I0NtU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Reminder that earlier that match this happened https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wVho3I0NtU

It was later, Hand of God came first.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I would just like to say any new fans who have decided to root for Spain, their leading goal scorer David Villa has signed on for 10 games in the Australian A League so make sure to bundle in a Melbourne City jersey with your spain one!

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Is there a newbie friendly guide to basic football strategy somewhere? I'd like to read up on some of the basic pros/cons of different formations, like playing 3 midfielders vs 4 and so on.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

astr0man posted:

Is there a newbie friendly guide to basic football strategy somewhere? I'd like to read up on some of the basic pros/cons of different formations, like playing 3 midfielders vs 4 and so on.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/ sorta I think. It's more an analysis of matches between various teams tho.

But really what you're looking for is the book (or e-book version) of Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

astr0man posted:

Wikipedia has really good writeups of all that stuff, imo

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I really found Attacking Soccer by Massiomo Lucchesi fantastic for understanding formations and how they play out against each other and the sort of players required to make them tick. It may be a little bit dense and the translation is a little iffy as it was written initially in Italian but its worth a look at.

http://www.amazon.com/Attacking-Soccer-A-Tactical-Analysis/dp/1890946710/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401987754&sr=8-1&keywords=attacking+soccer

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Paddyb posted:

This is a good Wikipedia article to start with, it details the positions themselves, the different roles positions can play, the most common tactics, and the evolution of those tactics over time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_(soccer)_positions

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Hegay posted:

But really what you're looking for is the book (or e-book version) of Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics

This seems like exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks! I'll check out all the other suggestions too.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Hello Ray Parlour, I am Maoist Pussy the transphobic marxist, so I guess I will be supporting Russia or Iran or something.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

astr0man posted:

This seems like exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks! I'll check out all the other suggestions too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_(association_football)

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Maoist Pussy posted:

Hello Ray Parlour, I am Maoist Pussy the transphobic marxist, so I guess I will be supporting Russia or Iran or something.

In that case it'll have to be Russia I think because of this

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Maoist Pussy posted:

Half of Iran's ladies team turned out to be men so you might want to rethink that

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

astr0man posted:

The quickest overview I can give...

Generally in a modern game more midfielders means more defense. It's just a question of bodies in the center of the pitch. You may see some smaller teams throw in a fifth defender but this is a little more rare. Oh also as a quick aside 5 defenders may not necessarilybe terribly defensive as the wide ones (fullbacks) can play very attacking (sometimes known as wing backs)

The placement of the wide midfielders is pretty important for a teams attack. Typically when they're called wide midfielders they'll be in the same "line" as the center midfielders and will do a lot more defensive work. If they're called "wingers" they'll be in the same "line" or thereabouts as the forwards

Evenly matched teams will tend to shift their players to match others, sometimes midgame but often at halftime too. If a team is dominant they'll sometimes make attacking shifts to better "unlock" the defense, if a team is an underdog they'll tend to stick to a preset gameplan and only shift if they're behind late on

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MLS put together a few halfway decent videos explaining formations & numbers (ie "He's a 10, he's a 9) in the last year or so.

Soccer Jargon 101: The Evolution of Formations | …: http://youtu.be/7w-ZA1yxYrw
Soccer Jargon 101: Number Position Translator | B…: http://youtu.be/QJrBuntznqc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Paddyb posted:

Yeah, this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_formations and the related ones are fantastic.

• Locked thread