Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Lol what's this retarded post? If you want to talk about Ibra write something about him, dont loving copy Wikipedia paragraphs!

Also, Ibra is such a big loving oval office and an amazing player. Hands down the best striker in the Ligue 1, a real driving force for PSG and an rear end in a top hat that makes defenders lose their poo poo. I love him and hate him at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

its weird how Ibra has been one of the best strikers in the world for over a decade but is only now getting the media coverage and plaudits that he deserves, its probably just an english media thing who would relentlessly call him out every time he played an english team in the champions league

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I really want Ibra to move to the BPL.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
It would be nice if he could get a champion's league trophy before he retires.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
just being zlatan is the greatest achievment anyone can hope to accomplish in their life

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
With all the previous criticism that Brasil was playing bullying football with no flair or beauty, could the Brasil-Germany game be interpreted as a disastrous attempt to change that? With no defense and no discipline in the mid, it looked like a 10-year-old set up an imaginative and attacking game. Forget defense, just attack spontaneously, go all out, be yourselves :downs:!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

With all the previous criticism that Brasil was playing bullying football with no flair or beauty, could the Brasil-Germany game be interpreted as a disastrous attempt to change that? With no defense and no discipline in the mid, it looked like a 10-year-old set up an imaginative and attacking game. Forget defense, just attack spontaneously, go all out, be yourselves :downs:!

not even close. 11 players went out there and had no idea how to do anything. they couldn't defend, they had no idea in attack, the midfield may as well have stayed in the hotel. the reason brazil have had a legacy of flowing, attacking football with great style is because they've always had a team full of players who can play like that. this brazil team had one flair player in neymar, and the rest of them (silva aside) are clueless idiots.

edit: they didnt have an 'attack spontaneously' attitude to the game, they had a 'wtf? where am i? what do?!!?' attitude

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

1. Why is the iconic ball the black-and-white icosahedron even though it was only used for a few years in the early 1970s? Or is that soccer ball iconic only in the non-football-watching USA?

2. When(ish) did soccer players go from the hotpants-style shorts (also 1970s) to the knee-length seen now?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

1. Why is the iconic ball the black-and-white icosahedron even though it was only used for a few years in the early 1970s? Or is that soccer ball iconic only in the non-football-watching USA?

2. When(ish) did soccer players go from the hotpants-style shorts (also 1970s) to the knee-length seen now?

i think that's the iconic ball because it was the most reproduced ball. through the 80s that style of ball was the most often used ball on fields and parks in the uk that i can remember. and it was easy to reproduce in video game format, idk how relevant that might be.

shorts got baggier in the 90s, but they'll go back to slightly tighter then much tighter eventually.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when Milan had both Ibrahimovic and Thiago Silva, and then they sold them.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Just an FYI for american fans based on Kramer in the final: concussions are cool and totally legal in the world's game.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Volkerball posted:

Remember when Milan had both Ibrahimovic and Thiago Silva, and then they sold them.

And Ronaldinho

And Pirlo

And Seedorf

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

e lmao wrong thread

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
OK, so now that the World Cup is officially over (:smith:), what's the next big football tournament/match? I heard the Libertadores final is in a couple of days, is there anything else coming up?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

OK, so now that the World Cup is officially over (:smith:), what's the next big football tournament/match? I heard the Libertadores final is in a couple of days, is there anything else coming up?

follow club football, then theres an important match or 10 every week.

internationally the euros are in two years with qualification games starting ina couple of months, idk about in the americas.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

30 days of hurt and then the Premier League.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Womens World cup next summer.

its not the same, but still fun

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014%E2%80%9315_UEFA_Champions_League

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

The big European leagues are as big as it gets, but an actual tournament is the Champions League which lasts the whole season. The next big international tournament is the Euro in 2 years

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

There's also the Copa América next year. All the South American teams play. And in 2016 (in the US!) because the president of CONMEBOL loves money.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I really enjoyed watching this World Cup, and even though I have seen matches in the past, I feel this is the first year that I actually "got it", like I fully understood what was happening and why.

I know a lot of people have asked about upcoming matches and I know that this sport is incredibly complicated in the sense that their are various leagues, levels of competition, and rules about players transfers etc. I know I would be interested in a thread similar to this in TFF: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3324645

Basically, it would be nice if someone put together an effort post explaining all the basics of the various leagues and such. Is the Ray Parlour large enough to undertake that sort of project with the chance of succeeding?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

swickles posted:

I really enjoyed watching this World Cup, and even though I have seen matches in the past, I feel this is the first year that I actually "got it", like I fully understood what was happening and why.

I know a lot of people have asked about upcoming matches and I know that this sport is incredibly complicated in the sense that their are various leagues, levels of competition, and rules about players transfers etc. I know I would be interested in a thread similar to this in TFF: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3324645

Basically, it would be nice if someone put together an effort post explaining all the basics of the various leagues and such. Is the Ray Parlour large enough to undertake that sort of project with the chance of succeeding?

Yeah but it's like really not terribly complicated and 99% of possibly mentioned leagues you will never even begin to watch

There's a league pyramid in pretty much every European country, most have around 20 teams per level, usually three go down to a league below at the end of a season and three from belo go up.

Most every European country has a knockout tournament inside the country for a cup

Also the top teams of each country go to play in a European league either the champions league or the Europa cup for a different trophy

That covers almost all of what you'd need to know

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

swickles posted:

no because we dont really want or need any new posters, that poo poo looks like way too much loving work to get a bunch of tff'ers here whining about concussions or casual racisms

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Step 1: go to whoscored.com and see what's on today. Pick some matches.

Step 2: go to rojadirecta.me or wiziwig.tv and find some streams

Step 3: watch the foot, all the foot.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

swickles posted:

All of the countries with big leagues do their own threads at the start of the season, the Premier League one is usually very thorough and probably the closes thing to your example. Don't be afraid to post rule questions in this thread, I also think that a lot of everyday tactical and terminology questions have been answered here as well.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Drogadon posted:

Step 1: go to whoscored.com and see what's on today. Pick some matches.

Step 2: go to rojadirecta.me or wiziwig.tv and find some streams

Step 3: watch the foot, all the foot.

Am I the only one that still
Uses atdhe

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Anyone else who has Dish Network: Is there a package that covers Premier League? Or are streams my only hope?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Jose Pointero posted:

Anyone else who has Dish Network: Is there a package that covers Premier League? Or are streams my only hope?

Whatever package has NBC sports, if you get the channel you get all of the legal streams.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Gigi Galli posted:

Whatever package has NBC sports, if you get the channel you get all of the legal streams.
Yessssss I have that one. Wasn't sure if they had it or not because their schedule only shows a couple weeks.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

tbp posted:

Uses atdhe

i use atdhe tbp, but a lot of people ditched the site after those like three weeks or whatever when it got taken down and moved url like a year ago

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Spain, England, and Germany have far and away the best quality domestic leagues, with Portugal, France, and Italy behind those, and then it drops off a cliff. There's no salary cap, so the rich teams just buy players from the poor ones from any league they want, which means every league has a handful of teams that wreck poo poo every year for decades, and then a bunch of garbageman teams. This happens in the lovely leagues too. For instance, Celtic is a Scottish team that can contend to make it into the knockout rounds of the Champions League every year, but literally every other team in that league is absolute trash ever since Rangers went broke.

The Champions League is far and away the biggest club competition in the world, and matches up all the best teams in all of Europe, so if you're interested in getting into the Euro scene, that's the best place to start. Group stages start in September. It's the FBS to the Europa leagues FCS. It's the exact same format as the world cup, but in the group stages, teams play each other two times instead of just once. And instead of just playing one game in the knockout stages, they play two legs, with the aggregate score between the two games determining who moves forward. The final is just one game though, which is the last game played after all the domestic seasons end in late May, signaling the end of the European football year. Last years had 300+ million viewers worldwide. Offseason is short as gently caress. Think friendlies start in July in all leagues, with league games beginning in August.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

tbp posted:

Uses atdhe

I still use it.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Volkerball posted:

Spain, England, and Germany have far and away the best quality domestic leagues, with Portugal, France, and Italy behind those, and then it drops off a cliff.

Naaaah. I wouldn't say Portugal is a stronger league than Russia, Turkey or Netherlands. Then maybe Ukraine. Then the cliff.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

jyrka posted:

Naaaah. I wouldn't say Portugal is a stronger league than Russia, Turkey or Netherlands. Then maybe Ukraine. Then the cliff.

I don't know about Turkey, but Netherlands doesn't seem that good. Ajax never does anything in the Champions league, and Feyenoord and PSV aren't any better. I put Portugal up there because Porto and Benfica are pretty good teams, but outside of that I'm sure it's poo poo. And yeah, I forgot all about Russia. They also have the best logo in football.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

jyrka posted:

The Portuguese league actually surpassed Serie A and is now 3rd in the rankings, tho I would put it more on France's current level since the dropoff after the first 4 teams is pretty severe. Even so there's a reason Portuguese teams are always in the EL final and sometimes get far in the knockout rounds of the CL (and have won the CL this decade as many times as Germany). It's def better than Russia/Turkey/Holland, those are garbage leagues.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Serie A might have slipped down in the rankings lately but it's always fun because of the crazy drama and antics that happen. Also Roma are building up great team so it will probably be harder for Juve to run away with the Scudetto again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuUKUDBxZtc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWkojrNjgIo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I4Np-8thOs

tbp posted:

Uses atdhe

I thought it had died, bookmarking it again

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 14, 2014

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

swickles posted:

You should follow (a) one (1) of the big leagues, e.g. England, Italy, Germany, and Spain, and (b) the Champions League. Since you're American, the EPL will probably be the easiest for you. Watching one league will be enough to take up your time, and watching the Champions League will be enough to fill you in on what's going on in the other leagues that mean anything. As you go, you'll figure out games from other leagues that you care about.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Mean Bean Machine posted:

The Portuguese league actually surpassed Serie A and is now 3rd in the rankings

Surpassing Italy would make them 4th in the rankings, somewhere far behind the top 3.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What happened to the Italian league anyway, Inter winning the CL wasn't that long ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Fag Boy Jim posted:

What happened to the Italian league anyway, Inter winning the CL wasn't that long ago...

The country is poor and all the money isn't siphoned off to two clubs.

• Locked thread