Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Fag Boy Jim posted:

What happened to the Italian league anyway, Inter winning the CL wasn't that long ago...

Juventus came back and ruined everything.

Seriously though, the crumbling poo poo infrastructure leftover from Italia 90 is finally starting to actually fall apart and that's affected the money coming in. With prices what they are now, Italian clubs can't really keep up. It might rebound but only two clubs are owned by oil or other rich guy money, Roma and Inter, and neither one of those owners is anywhere near Sheik status or Russian oligarch. In a way I like that, since it keeps ownership relatively local, but you can see the money gap when the transfer market comes around. We also don't have any teams propped up by the government like Spain unless you count Milan, which could be accurate since Berlusconi's money is all siphoned off from money laundered and stolen from the taxpayers over the course of several terms in office.

Also a decade of clubs loving off in the qualifying stages of the Europa League/UEFA cup hasn't helped. No team has taken it seriously for a long time which has killed the coefficient. It's been coming for a while, however, Milan and Inter kept the number up after winning a bunch of European titles and Juventus is garbage in Europe so it's just steadily fallen as those victories start to not count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't the league itself pretty corrupt too?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
FWIW I really enjoyed what little I watched when I tried to follow Serie A (on BeIN when it wasn't getting shunted off for the Barca game of the week).

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Isn't the league itself pretty corrupt too?

The latest arrests and bans, which were two seasons ago, were for players or staff who were aware of a possible fix but didn't report it. That law was put in place after the original scandal in 2005. It's probably about as corrupt as any of the other leagues, really, it was just the first to have a major team implicated on sporting grounds.

The lower leagues are really bad though.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

General Probe posted:

Surpassing Italy would make them 4th in the rankings, somewhere far behind the top 3.

Yeah I meant 4th, still only having the English, Spanish and German leagues above it means the Portuguese league is actually a lot of ownage?? At least not garbage like Turkey/Russia/Holland, I don't know what that guy is talking about.

Also Serie A isn't great nowadays but it's a lot of fun, it has the best derbies imo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
iirc Jozy was bad in Turkey but good in Holland so by my scientific ranking system the Turkish league is on a higher tier than the Dutch league

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

I have no idea what's happening here but :lol:

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

The thing about the Dutch league is that even though the top teams don't cut it in Europe it's a pretty level playing field and most teams play positive attacking football (they can't defend for poo poo), so it's probably better to watch than Russia or Turkey. You'd be crazy if you actually did though. I agree with the advice to just follow one big league and the CL.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
The International Ice Hockey Federation has this poo poo they call the "Triple Gold Club" which is a special snowflake hall of fame for hockey players who've won a Stanley Cup, an IIHF World Championship and an Olympic gold medal. Does FIFA have any similar recognition for players who over the course of their careers have won a heap of trophies like a top flight title/Champion's League/Olympic gold/World Cup/whatever?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
No.

The only individual recognition is top scorer awards for different leagues and tournaments as well as the Ballon d'Or which is the big one and the only one that matters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballon_d%27Or_(1956%E2%80%932009)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Ballon_d%27Or

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Mash posted:

No.

The only individual recognition is top scorer awards for different leagues and tournaments as well as the Ballon d'Or which is the big one and the only one that matters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballon_d%27Or_(1956%E2%80%932009)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_Ballon_d%27Or

Hopefully Thomas "the best player in the world" Müller has as good as a first half of the season as he did the world cup because I want a German to win that fukkin dumb Ballon d'Or.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

hopterque posted:

Hopefully Thomas "the best player in the world" Müller has as good as a first half of the season as he did the world cup because I want a German to win that fukkin dumb Ballon d'Or.

:lol: It'll still go to Messi or Ronaldo because that's where the money is

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Total Meatlove posted:

:lol: It'll still go to Messi or Ronaldo because that's where the money is

I know, like the golden ball going to loving Messi who was okay to good in the world cup instead of to Hams Rodriguez Or Müller or like any of the half dozen other players that had better tournaments.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

hopterque posted:

Nadine Angerer won it last year for the women. If that makes you feel any better.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

highme posted:

Nadine Angerer won it last year for the women. If that makes you feel any better.

Who? Do people really watch womens football lol I thought that was just an inside joke we were all into.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Who? Do people really watch womens football lol I thought that was just an inside joke we were all into.

The final of the last women's euro had a viewing rate of over 50% in Germany. So yes, women's football is quite popular in some countries.

Quirkk
Sep 1, 2012

I watched womens football once and it was just constant hair-pulling and tit-punching. Good wholesome fun.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
I'm literally briefly passing out with each hair-pull induced throb

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

I'm literally briefly passing out with each hair-pull induced throb

no place for this kind of diving in the american game. hope she got a card

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Honj Steak posted:

The final of the last women's euro had a viewing rate of over 50% in Germany. So yes, women's football is quite popular in some countries.

Why?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Because the German women are ridiculously successful (They actually won the euros 6 times in a row)

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Honj Steak posted:

Two. Two countries.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Honj Steak posted:

Because the German women are ridiculously successful (They actually won the euros 6 times in a row)

who cares

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Honj Steak posted:

Gay people are ridiculously successful at sticking large dildos up their assholes, doesn't mean I want to watch it. It's just awful and disgusting. Why don't Germans just go to their local high school and watch the kids play around a bit, that'll already be football of a higher level than womens football.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Gay people are ridiculously successful at sticking large dildos up their assholes, doesn't mean I want to watch it. It's just awful and disgusting. Why don't Germans just go to their local high school and watch the kids play around a bit, that'll already be football of a higher level than womens football.

Again the last euro final was pretty fun to watch with female Manuel Neuer saving two penalty kicks in one match.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
If you identify as genderfluid could you play for both the men's and women's teams?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Make it like nationality for the World Cup -- one switch per lifetime.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm disgusted it isn't labeled the Cis World Cup of Patriarchy

Run by old white men, could it be any more clear?

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Honj Steak posted:

Again the last euro final was pretty fun to watch with female Manuel Neuer saving two penalty kicks in one match.

Hmm but do women even have enough leg strength to properly kick a football, I mean how hard can it be to save a penalty if it's coming at you really weak and slow, I don't think that's that impressive tbh. I've never watched womens football but I've heard that the US womens team got destroyed by a team of high school kids which is insanely embarrassing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hmm but do women even have enough leg strength to properly kick a football,

quote:

I've never watched womens football

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvGfV6qCiOI&t=49s

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

hm yes that header and massively floated cross is not really a great example of how women can really bulge the old onion bag

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

JFairfax posted:

If you identify as genderfluid could you play for both the men's and women's teams?

it might be the only time they pass

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

lol

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Some people like women's football. Some people don't. Watch it and form your own opinion.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyE9jBZSM4Q&t=293s

wrong one but ill leave it anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyLGI5egHTY&t=20s

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

I like how you post this as an example of how good women are at football or something but the only reason it's a goal is because the keeper is loving garbage.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I think we can all agree that women's football is definitely real and people watch it for some reason, and that's canon. If you want to continue talking about it, please make a thread.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lmao the second one holy poo poo

e: sorry gd

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

hopterque posted:

I like how you post this as an example of how good women are at football or something but the only reason it's a goal is because the keeper is loving garbage.

The problem here being?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

it might be the only time they pass

Whoa, deja vu.

• Locked thread