Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

atomic gog posted:

I wouldnt want to live in a world where they'd disallowed The Hand of God goal.

Its one of the most iconic world cup images ever, if not the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

zakharov posted:

My girlfriend wants to bandwagon on Chile. Looking at their group, my extremely uninformed analysis tells me they have zero chance of advancing. True or false?

This is the worst Dutch team I can remember. Its really bad

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Under no circumstances should anyone support France

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

What if you're from a poverty country like say Poland that didn't come to the World Cup

What I learned watching Euro 2008 is that not supporting a team in the competition owns a lot because you don't care who wins and can just have fun

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Funky Koval posted:

That is not a lesson I learned in 1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2004 and 2014.

that gap between 2004 and 2014 should have been enough to learn its fun

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

texas chili bowl posted:

What if your country has only been to the World Cup once (the year you were born) and scored 0 goals while there? Is it okay / cool / "hip" to be plastic for someone else then?

just watch it all and enjoy the football no need to support a team

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I liked North Korea after they played well against Brazil then Kim Jong Un got made manager of the team and it went really badly

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

troofs posted:

When both of those teams lose in the group stages I'll probably support the Netherlands because that's where I live, but honestly I might just root against them so I can make fun of my friends and coworkers.

You should troll them about how poo poo their team is

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I want to see an indirect free kick in the box this world cup

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I love seeing a photo of a footballer who gets fat during a long injury

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

TelekineticBear! posted:

Sky, UEFA, FIFA, the FA, the Football league and other entities killed football and if you're a fan of: Arsenal/Chelsea/Manchester United/Manchester City/Liverpool you helped piss on its grave

If you've never seen your team relegated you shouldn't moan about them too much either imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Something I'd like to see is that a player going off on a stretcher isn't allowed back on the pitch. If you need a stretcher you shouldn't be allowed to risk whatever injury needed it. Mostly because of Dani loving Alves though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

People generally don't like diving because its considered deceiving the referee to gain an advantage. This was someone obviously cheating because his team were out of the world cup otherwise and doing that gave them a slight chance but accepting the punishment as soon as it happened. Suarez got lucky and they did gently caress up. His world cup was over whether or not he stopped it but it proved to be worth it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

There have been lots of good effort posts in this thread that should be stuck into an OP with a similar title for anyone who reads TRP after the world cup and is new the football

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

An example of a really really bad penalty shoot out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vo33UJ0U8w

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Spurs had some issues with insurance for Cudicini iirc because he injured himself in a motorbike crash which his insurance didn't cover as its a dangerous activity and they were thinking of just cancelling his contract

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jozy's confidence was so bad that he chose not to take a penalty for Sunderland in a shoot out they had this season

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

One of the things Mourinho is really good at is making proactive substitutions that aren't just swapping a player for someone else who is similar but hasn't played for 70 minutes or whatever.

Roy Hodgson at Liverpool from what I remember, basically only ever made a change really late in the game, often as a reaction to them conceding a goal and at which point it was unlikely Liverpool could recover properly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Its strange because teams can often lose the match in the first half but managers will just sit watching their team get absolutely hammered waiting for half time to make a change. Maybe they're just worried they'll humiliate whoever comes off.

Theres definitely nothing more embarrassing on the pitch for a player than coming on as a sub and being so poo poo you get subbed off though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

A physiologist has claimed the really hot weather and humidity is responsible for all the goals because it causes players to make loads of errors and not be able to close down as well as normal

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lee Tunnell posted:

Just wanting to thank everyone answering my questions. This forum has been super helpful in getting me into the game and I don't get where that toxic reputation comes from. Thanks would post again! A++++

We love to help new people who don't know much about the sport and have questions about things they don't understand or aren't clear on op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

StrungOutFlip posted:

Are there any good soccer documentaries out there? The only one I really watched was The Two Escobars and I thought it was fantastic.

Stolen from the football photos/videos thread, a bunch of skysports documentaries about some of the best players ever that are always interesting

Karl Sharks posted:

For those of you going through a bit of footy withdrawal and want to keep up your streak of getting little work done, here are a list of list of some half hour documentaries Sky has done about The World's Greatest Footballers (and Iniesta I guess idk):

Andres Iniesta
Bobby Charlton
Gerd Müller
Ruud Gullit
Eusébio
Rivelino
Michel Platini
Peter Schmeichel
Garrincha
Kenny Dalglish
Raúl
Johan Cruyff Part 1 Part 2