Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
It may be better than Objective-C, but from a broader perspective (comparing to all languages), I don't see the big deal here. None of the features you've mentioned in this thread were introduced in the PL literature later than the 1980s. What's so good about this new language aside from making fewer mistakes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

rjmccall posted:

We didn't set out specifically to appease language hipsters, nor are we submitting the language guide to POPL. I personally feel that making fewer mistakes is an admirable goal. Plenty of new languages with more interesting research pedigrees do not, in fact, succeed at making fewer mistakes.

Ultimately, it is just a programming language. Its value is as a tool, and it deserves to be judged on those merits.

Well OK, but where is Apple trying to position this language in the market? Do you expect that, like Java and C and Python, Swift will be used all over the place in many different environments... or do you see it more like Objective-C, a language that is technically just as general-purpose as the others, but in reality is used only by developers for Apple platforms? I'm not trying to push language hipster crap for its own sake, but if I don't see anything here that I can't get from languages I already know, then I'm not going to invest the time into learning a new tool.

• Locked thread