Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
How does it feel to know you are about to be the recipient of the largest motherlode of bikeshedding arguments in the history of computing?

edit: Serious question, probably one you can't answer, but how is Apple positioning this for adoption internally? Are all teams going to have the option to use Swift instead of ObjC? Are certain teams already planning on moving to it for all future development? Etc. Etc. I find it a bit surprising that this got released without a flagship app already being built in it as a proof of concept.

nebby fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Ender.uNF posted:

That's a dumb excuse and I'm sick of hearing it.

Yes, I could write bad code in any language. But a memory safe language vastly reduces the scope of existing errors and greatly limits the damage one can do. You can't write a "return 64k of random server memory every time someone asks" bug in a memory-safe language without trying extremely hard.
for future reference, this is a classic fallacy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_fallacy

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
Oh, another question. Where did you guys come down on macros/DSLs? I haven't read any documentation yet but it sounds like there aren't any facilities to extend the language. A huge bummer coming from someone who uses RubyMotion and has seen the benefits. (Though I acknowledge that it has its downsides.)

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

rjmccall posted:

(Advanced Swift, Thursday at 11:30)
Promise me there's at least one "A Modest Proposal" reference

• Locked thread