Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Do you imagine this being used in production, or is it a research language?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
What advantages do you think Swift provides over Objective-C?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
This is a big pet peeve of mine for new projects. Do you have any internal projects using Swift yet? New apps, new frameworks, whatever? I find that a lot of these PLs sound great until you actually go to use them, because nobody actually used them in the real world yet.

I am not going to touch Swift until I hear that you have a moderately sized, going-to-production codebase written in it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Don't Rust and Go explore the same space?

... It's going to be "Google's Go vs. Mozilla's Rust vs. Apple's Swift" in the tech news, isn't it... sigh...

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ender.uNF posted:

Yes, I could write bad code in any language. But a memory safe language vastly reduces the scope of existing errors and greatly limits the damage one can do. You can't write a "return 64k of random server memory every time someone asks" bug in a memory-safe language without trying extremely hard.

Nobody writes memory allocators in other languages. They're called "object pools".

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

If you want to try to remember the difference, we decided to deviate from Ruby precisely so that the one with more dots would be the one with more values. We were consistent with Ruby for awhile but kept getting feedback like "Yeah, the way I remember this is that it's the exact opposite of the way I think it should be."

This seems to be a poor choice, especially since it's one of those dumb, incredible easy-to-miss mistakes that will bite people that the compiler can't catch. I'd only include one range constructor, and deprecate or remove the other syntax immediately.

You will get blog posts from people blaming Swift for subtly doing the wrong thing.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Looking forward to the inevitable Brainfuck.swift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

I'm the 9to5mac news article.

• Locked thread