Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tstm
Jun 4, 2014
The optimizer seems to do some really weird things for me.

I ported this benchmarking simulation to Swift.

After long periods of toying around with different things I actually got out something that performs nicely: http://tstm.info/files/nbody.swift

But for some reason I still have to do very odd things to be able to make it performant. In the function advance() I'm doing an extra
code:
 let _planets = planets 
without any good reason.

If I take it away, and replace the advance() function with something like this:
code:
func advance(dt: Double) {
    var n = planets.count
    for var i = 0; i < n ; i++ {
        let iPlanet = planets[i]
        for var j = i+1; j < n; j++ {
            let jPlanet = planets[j]
            let dx = iPlanet.x - jPlanet.x
            let dy = iPlanet.y - jPlanet.y
            let dz = iPlanet.z - jPlanet.z

let dSquared = dx * dx + dy * dy + dz * dz
            let distance = sqrt(dSquared)
            let mag = dt / (dSquared * distance)

planets[i].vx -= dx * jPlanet.mass * mag
            planets[i].vy -= dy * jPlanet.mass * mag
            planets[i].vz -= dz * jPlanet.mass * mag

planets[j].vx += dx * iPlanet.mass * mag
            planets[j].vy += dy * iPlanet.mass * mag
            planets[j].vz += dz * iPlanet.mass * mag
        }
    }
    for var i = 0; i < n ; i++ {
        planets[i].x += dt * planets[i].vx
        planets[i].y += dt * planets[i].vy
        planets[i].z += dt * planets[i].vz
    }
}
The code slows down tenfold. I do not understand why this might be happening - and I'm really trying to code within reasonable standards here, I'm not a good programmer by any stretch, but something doesn't seem quite right in the optimizer. Or is it me doing something horribly wrong?

Also, I've found that using a static or a dynamic Array to store the bodies in will result in lots and lots and lots of retain/release, and that's why I had to go and use a static-size ContiguousArrayBuffer instead of an Array.

As for the actual results, with the weird "optimizations" I had to do, I can run 5 000 000 iterations of nbody in ~3.8 seconds on my rMBP. The original Java code I ported does the same in 0.9s - swift is slower but not by that much, and I'm sure there could be other things still going wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread