Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Reading this makes me want to bump up my silly plans to cold-read some bad romance novels on Youtube.

It sounds like the world could use some affordable narrators who aren't ChatGPT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped.
Book has been published and has even sold a copy or two. Thank you for all the assistance!

I ended up going with the Draft2Digital provided ISBN rather than take the tiny risk of someone finding out who I am through my own. It wasn't a hard choice given how I'd read a few articles about why it might actually be better to do this than provide your own. But then more recently I've actually come across articles suggesting just the opposite. Usually the reasons are vague e.g. 'Providing your own ISBN leaves no doubts about what rights you have as the publisher' (but the self-publishing services explicitly disclaim both rights and liabilities for your book?) or 'Your own ISBN looks more professional and this won't on its own determine whether stores carry your book but it can be the deciding factor' (really?). One specific claim was that the IDPA's checklist for what is a "professional" self-published book lists that the ISBN is provided by the author and not the service. But I can't find this on the checklist.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Reading this makes me want to bump up my silly plans to cold-read some bad romance novels on Youtube.

Just to give you a heads-up on this: I did this with erotica as a goofball YT podcast with friends, where we'd read bad erotica and joke about it while getting increasingly drunk. The result was 4-5 episodes that almost nobody watched but which somehow still got the channel suspended by Google. Don't use ones that are too explicit, if you do that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Sundae posted:

Just to give you a heads-up on this: I did this with erotica as a goofball YT podcast with friends, where we'd read bad erotica and joke about it while getting increasingly drunk. The result was 4-5 episodes that almost nobody watched but which somehow still got the channel suspended by Google. Don't use ones that are too explicit, if you do that.

This is what's going to get read -

It would just be to entertain about ten people in TFR and some other friends. I randomly got this sent with a piece of Moroccan currency I ordered for my collection, and I still have zero idea why. This looks like a hidden Christianity romance novel -

Did you get suspended for your reading being racy? Or something else?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Captain Log posted:

I randomly got this sent with a piece of Moroccan currency I ordered for my collection, and I still have zero idea why.

They probably did it because sending money in the post is suspicious and some people think it's actually illegal. Hell, it might be in some countries.
A book is clearly a book, so it's obvious what's in the package when it gets checked

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
IngramSpark finally did it. They've finally messed up enough of my print orders that starting next year, I'm gonna be seriously looking into doing offset printing because I never want to put in an order for $500 worth of books and 27 out of 39 books arrive with damage or severe misprinting. UGH.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped.
Sorry to hear. And I don't suppose IngramSpark is the one with proper customer service who will make everything right?

Gaah. I think it was the IS blog that made me really confused when trying to learn how to publish my first book. There were so many discrepancies in terms of advice. One or two posts said that you should go for the free ISBN provided by the service. Another two said to always get your own numbers, one for the semi-vague reason that 'It looks more professional and retailers might reject your book if the ISBN is ascribed to IG or D2D' whereas another said even more vaguely that 'Using your own number is the only way to unambiguously retain all your rights to the book.'

When it came to self-publishing a book to get the attention of traditional publishers, the blog was outright contradictory. One post said it's a fine path to take as publishers want to see you that what you put out is bought by readers and liked by them and just needs better distribution; that this can not only get you a deal but a better deal than if you came in naked. Another post however said this is an absolutely terrible plan as it is hard enough to get publishers to look at authors who've self-published let alone an actual title that has already been self-published; that if your goal is to ever publish traditionally you should stay away from self-publishing. (Why IG would post someone saying this is a little beyond me even if it were true.)

Overall I feel like I've become quite comfortable with the process of publishing a book through IS or D2D in a basic way, but actually more confused about optimizing your output than I was before I started reading about it.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Leng posted:

IngramSpark finally did it. They've finally messed up enough of my print orders that starting next year, I'm gonna be seriously looking into doing offset printing because I never want to put in an order for $500 worth of books and 27 out of 39 books arrive with damage or severe misprinting. UGH.

I've heard good things about Lulu Direct's printing, but I'm not sure if their retail connections also work well. But if you're ordering a batch for yourself, that doesn't really matter

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Leng posted:

urgh. Where are you? I'm in the UK and I think Amazon CreateSpace/Kindle Print still uses IngramSpark as their printer, and I've never had a bad book from them.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Captain Log posted:

This is what's going to get read -

[...]

Did you get suspended for your reading being racy? Or something else?

We were reading erotica shorts, straight-up smut. Like, one of the stories we covered was named "Five D's in Zero G's" and the content involved astronauts breaking all kinds of orbital protocols, let's say. The channel got suspended for content, but I think you can probably get away with the traditional harlequin stuff.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Sundae posted:

We were reading erotica shorts, straight-up smut. Like, one of the stories we covered was named "Five D's in Zero G's" and the content involved astronauts breaking all kinds of orbital protocols, let's say. The channel got suspended for content, but I think you can probably get away with the traditional harlequin stuff.

You might be surprised at what research nasa has funded and had performed.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
I've recently self-published a novel and am trying to find sensible ways to market it.

I'll read back through the thread but does anyone have any hot tips on what actually works?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Robert Deadford posted:

I've recently self-published a novel and am trying to find sensible ways to market it.

I'll read back through the thread but does anyone have any hot tips on what actually works?

Be popular from something else and sell to your existing fan base.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Robert Deadford posted:

Write something that people already want.

If you haven't done that, write the next book and make sure it's something people already want.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Robert Deadford posted:

Commit a series of high-profile crimes which are related the plot of your book

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Robert Deadford posted:

Submit it as a free promotion to newsletters like Robin Reads or Freebooksy and hope you get accepted. Some new authors balk at the idea of giving their book away for free, but it's way more important for a new book to garner reviews and increase your visibility in the algorithm than it is to make immediate profit.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Will Wight just announced a Cradle anime adaptation:

https://twitter.com/WilliamWight/status/1736799781639295117

I'm definitely going to be looking at the Kickstarter numbers!

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I'm curious about how hardcovers are received by readers these days? Are they still popular outside of the brick and mortar, trad pub "hardcover first then paperback" context? I feel like my knowledge is super out of date on them. Then there's dust jackets. Apparently KDP doesn't have them? The cover is just laminated to the board? I'm probably dating myself something fierce, but that seems really... cheap, to me.
I guess what I'm asking is do self-pub books sell hardcovers, and do they offer the traditional dust jacket or laminated style? (I'm sure it's genre dependent too.)

Also, is a small self-congratulating cheer acceptable? I achieved a milestone in my brief career as an author that I thought would be years in the coming... if ever.
I received a very nice email from a fan informing me that my book was their favorite read of 2023, and included fan art of their favorite character. I have officially "made it" and can die happy. :cloudnine:

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

CaptainCrunch posted:

I'm curious about how hardcovers are received by readers these days? Are they still popular outside of the brick and mortar, trad pub "hardcover first then paperback" context? I feel like my knowledge is super out of date on them. Then there's dust jackets. Apparently KDP doesn't have them? The cover is just laminated to the board? I'm probably dating myself something fierce, but that seems really... cheap, to me.
I guess what I'm asking is do self-pub books sell hardcovers, and do they offer the traditional dust jacket or laminated style? (I'm sure it's genre dependent too.)

Also, is a small self-congratulating cheer acceptable? I achieved a milestone in my brief career as an author that I thought would be years in the coming... if ever.
I received a very nice email from a fan informing me that my book was their favorite read of 2023, and included fan art of their favorite character. I have officially "made it" and can die happy. :cloudnine:

Congratulations.

If I helps, I plan to do a hardcover Kickstarter when I finish my Sci-fi series.

Otherwise it's just low margins.

Also I finished another book woot. 96k words fantasy Xianxia. First draft, then it'll go on Royal road after the beta readers have a crack at it and I have the next 20 chapters done for Patreon et all.

Blurb below 👇 and obviously if anyone wants to beta read.
---

These young masters need therapy badly.

Joseph Pidge, therapist and father of two girls, finds himself in a fantasy world where martial power and prowess is the highest calling and no one has ever heard of the word 'introspection'. Fortunately, that is exactly his speciality. With a new system and a new world, he has the opportunity to start fresh. But will anyone recognize that they need his help instead of continually punching each other?

To add to his problems, many influential groups see him as a resource to be tapped and will go to great lengths to get him. Joe has had enough of pushy salesmen in his past life. If he can evade aggressive Sect recruiters, perhaps he can gentle parent his way to a better life.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Dream Weaver posted:

Congratulations.

If I helps, I plan to do a hardcover Kickstarter when I finish my Sci-fi series.

Otherwise it's just low margins.

Also I finished another book woot. 96k words fantasy Xianxia. First draft, then it'll go on Royal road after the beta readers have a crack at it and I have the next 20 chapters done for Patreon et all.
Blurb below 👇 and obviously if anyone wants to beta read.

So a hardcover would be more for prestige/serious fans and really not for any profit potential? Ok. I think I can wrap my head around that.

Thank you and congrats right back, on finishing your book!

Dream Weaver posted:

These young masters need therapy badly.

Joseph Pidge, therapist and father of two girls, finds himself in a fantasy world where martial power and prowess is the highest calling and no one has ever heard of the word 'introspection'. Fortunately, that is exactly his speciality. With a new system and a new world, he has the opportunity to start fresh. But will anyone recognize that they need his help instead of continually punching each other?

To add to his problems, many influential groups see him as a resource to be tapped and will go to great lengths to get him. Joe has had enough of pushy salesmen in his past life. If he can evade aggressive Sect recruiters, perhaps he can gentle parent his way to a better life.
My biggest critique would be that this is missing information/motivation. Perhaps it's obvious to a Xianxia fan, but why do the young masters need therapy? If it's the usual "dear god, they're a hot mess" reason, I'd like a hint of that. If it's because they're leaving potential gainz on the table by overlooking it, I'd like that hint.
Also, the blurb makes it sound like the protagonist isn't too torn up about leaving his two girls behind. What's his emotional state, what's going through his head when the truth hits?
In the second paragraph, if you establish why therapy is the new hotness in DragonBall World, that would help to explain why the influential groups are trying to tap him. (lol) I feel like the last sentence is really, well it sort of lets the potential energy drain out of the piece.

This guy got isekai'd to Martial Arts Land, will he be throwing punches and focusing his chi at all? Does his introspective powers make him better/faster at cultivating than the locals who've been doing it their whole lives? There's no sense of that in the blurb, but also no clear sense that he will, instead, be running from couch to couch in order to ask Flying Dragon Fist #5 "but how does that make you feel?"
I don't mean to be super harsh, suggesting that I think it sucks or whatever. There's a nugget there, I'm feeling it and I can tell there's a twist I've not seen before. I just want to feel it more and also get a few more tantalizing glimpses at the stakes and the cool poo poo to sink that hook in my interest.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

CaptainCrunch posted:

So a hardcover would be more for prestige/serious fans and really not for any profit potential? Ok. I think I can wrap my head around that.

Thank you and congrats right back, on finishing your book!

My biggest critique would be that this is missing information/motivation. Perhaps it's obvious to a Xianxia fan, but why do the young masters need therapy? If it's the usual "dear god, they're a hot mess" reason, I'd like a hint of that. If it's because they're leaving potential gainz on the table by overlooking it, I'd like that hint.
Also, the blurb makes it sound like the protagonist isn't too torn up about leaving his two girls behind. What's his emotional state, what's going through his head when the truth hits?
In the second paragraph, if you establish why therapy is the new hotness in DragonBall World, that would help to explain why the influential groups are trying to tap him. (lol) I feel like the last sentence is really, well it sort of lets the potential energy drain out of the piece.

This guy got isekai'd to Martial Arts Land, will he be throwing punches and focusing his chi at all? Does his introspective powers make him better/faster at cultivating than the locals who've been doing it their whole lives? There's no sense of that in the blurb, but also no clear sense that he will, instead, be running from couch to couch in order to ask Flying Dragon Fist #5 "but how does that make you feel?"
I don't mean to be super harsh, suggesting that I think it sucks or whatever. There's a nugget there, I'm feeling it and I can tell there's a twist I've not seen before. I just want to feel it more and also get a few more tantalizing glimpses at the stakes and the cool poo poo to sink that hook in my interest.

I mean the main twist is when his ex wife is also Ise-kaied for the sect that is trying to "recruit him" and he has the realization that both his daughters parents are not there, also they summon people to be used as fodder for their own growth sooo. But yeah I see what you are saying I'm trying to convey the "dad is far from his daughters and all that entails".

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

CaptainCrunch posted:

do self-pub books sell hardcovers
Yes.

CaptainCrunch posted:

do they offer the traditional dust jacket or laminated style? (I'm sure it's genre dependent too.)
Yes. It depends less on genre and what you do with them.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Then there's dust jackets. Apparently KDP doesn't have them? The cover is just laminated to the board? I'm probably dating myself something fierce, but that seems really... cheap, to me.
You can get print on demand dust jackets via IngramSpark. IMO now that IngramSpark have removed the upfront title set up fees, there's no reason not to set up to distribute print copies via IngramSpark.

Personally I hate dust jackets. They're annoying. Also they add a bunch of extra cost to the cover. Also also having the same art on the jacket and the case laminate takes a bit of the "wow" factor away. So if you want to do something different on the case, which you probably absolutely should, that's even more additional cost on the cover.

CaptainCrunch posted:

I'm curious about how hardcovers are received by readers these days? Are they still popular outside of the brick and mortar, trad pub "hardcover first then paperback" context?
Rabidly, for core fans, book collectors, and people who buy books for their covers. Look at The Broken Binding editions of Ryan Cahill's books, as an example. There are scalpers buying these and then reselling for like 5-10x the retail value.

But I would not bother with releasing books in hardcover unless you: a) already have a sizeable audience; or b) plan on hustling hard and pandering to the Kickstarter crowd and blinging it up with lots of art and other fancy add-ons. The bar for a fancy hardcover is pretty high these days.

I have a standard jacketed case laminate hardcover through IngramSpark. To date, I have sold like, 15, probably. The rest have been given away as ARCs, giveaway prizes, etc. The margin on them varies by market, but it's like...$3 on average. The set up cost of the hard cover was the extra title set up fee on IngramSpark at the time, plus $200 USD for hardcover case laminate and jacket design. So yeah, nah, I haven't recouped the marginal cost on doing a hardcover and I doubt I will any time soon, unless maybe I try for in person sales at conventions, etc.

FWIW, I'm in the last stages of coordinating a promo with 45 other self-pub fantasy authors in it. 16 of us have hardcovers. All of us have paperbacks. Only 14 have audio. FYI it's not like I've sold that many paperbacks either (19). Some people—mostly those who already know me from something else and want to support and like physical books—will buy in print and paperback has the edge here because of price. Others will jump on print if they see it deeply discounted. The rest mostly buy ebook—and then, once they've finished and if they've enjoyed it, they'll go on and buy in print. So as far as I can tell, the main determinator is size of audience and proportion of core fans and how pretty the hardcover is as a decorative shelf object.

CaptainCrunch posted:

This is awesome and I hope you've asked that fan for permission to post it and use it in your marketing. Or, like, hire them to do more art in an official capacity.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Leng posted:

*Hardcover Stuff*

Thank you! I believe I will do what my gut was telling me: Hold off until I can do a "prestige" release, possibly as a kickstarter thing. (I have had some success on kickstarter in the past, so it's not as daunting as it might otherwise be.) Especially as my audience is still... growing.

I neither hate nor love dust jackets, but a hardcover without one comes off as "cheap" to my sensibilities. Which might just be my age talking.

Leng posted:

This is awesome and I hope you've asked that fan for permission to post it and use it in your marketing. Or, like, hire them to do more art in an official capacity.
Oh geez, they were so shy I got the impression they'd burst into flames should any sort of spotlight be turned upon them. It took them seven months just to work up the nerve to send that email! I even remember when they bought the book at Comic Con last summer. I could actually see the excitement growing as they read the back blurb. Three hours later they braved the crowds just to come back and tell me they had blown through the first four chapters, and loved it.
I did ask them to write a review, at the very least. Once I figure out my next round of marketing, I'll approach them for permission to repost the sketch.

CaptainCrunch fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 27, 2024

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
We buy a lot of books from KDP and we get banged up / poorly packaged books from time to time. We’ve had good luck with getting refunds. Can’t beat their pricing.

The reason to do your own ISBN is you can have your press name as the publisher. When you use a free isbn (from kdp I don’t know about lightning source/spark) they all say the same thing which is something like “independent publisher”.

When I’m looking at books it’s easy to tell who is self publishing based upon the imprint. That matters to some buyers. We don’t care and buy lots of drop shipped kdp author copies from people.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
How "on brand" do you have to be on Amazon/Kindle?

Last time I looked at this you had to be extremely rigid in how you targeted your audience, and any deviation you took from what you were trying to establish was a massive risk. Unless you were pivoting to a new big market/trend within the wider ecosystem of the style of stuff you published. (This was all the various styles of "romance.")

I wouldn't be going after this for serious money, just beer money. In fact serious money could actually cause me more problems than it'd solve, unless I suddenly became a top seller with every book I publish. At the moment I have enough for two decent length novels within the area I'll be publishing. The plan would be to make those free, maybe publish short story anthologies within that universe, along with a novella, for money, a kind of bonus for hardcore fans (readers at the moment are responding well to what they've seen.) Then there'd be another book/series that combines the main genre with another, one far more "challenging" and with crossover appeal into another market; this is doing well with readers of both genres. I have plans for a third series back in the structure of the main genre I'm writing, this could be a money maker, if I nail the angle on it correctly. The style I'd be writing has already proven a staying market in other areas. I figure I'd have about three books ready to go by the time I start this, maybe four, and another two in the works, which would allow me some space to time releases. Staggering things I feel like I could hit a release every two months, across different series, along with me building a bank.

Like I said, I'm not aiming for this to be a living, rather a bonus for something I'll be and am writing already, and which has some fans already (a few of them being authors in the area, so cover/blurb quotes could be something I have if I ask for them.)

On a separate topic what's it like with paying for covers now? Again, last time I looked at this it ranged all the way from people throwing text on stock images they paid for, people using fiver and the likes, and some people paying $500+ for a cover. Not looking for trends, I know what the trends are in the area I'm looking at. More about the pricing and how people are approaching the actual securing of covers.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Mrenda posted:

How "on brand" do you have to be on Amazon/Kindle?

Hasn’t changed a lot. Brand under the same pen name if you think there’ll be a decent overlap between audiences for your books, else do separate pen names. This is a judgement call depending on what you write. I’ve seen romance authors spin up different pen names just to distinguish between steamy and non steamy, or type of relationship, even if it’s all under a similar umbrella like small town romance or whatever.

SFF has more leeway.

Mrenda posted:

I wouldn't be going after this for serious money, just beer money. In fact serious money could actually cause me more problems than it'd solve, unless I suddenly became a top seller with every book I publish.

Worry about this after you make any money. And by that I mean breaking even on your title P&L, not even turning a profit.

Mrenda posted:

On a separate topic what's it like with paying for covers now? Again, last time I looked at this it ranged all the way from people throwing text on stock images they paid for, people using fiver and the likes, and some people paying $500+ for a cover. Not looking for trends, I know what the trends are in the area I'm looking at. More about the pricing and how people are approaching the actual securing of covers.

Hasn’t changed. Spending $$$ isn’t necessarily required for a great cover that sells the book, but there is generally a reasonable level of correlation.

Generative AI assets have flooded the marketplace though, so buyer beware. Ask for WIPs if you’re commissioning original stuff, or links to the assets if it’s photo bashed. Even then, you can still end up with AI in your cover.

This might matter to you (and/or your target audience), or it might not.

Get Covers is the go to now for cheap covers; they’re the training arm for Miblart who has publicly taken a “no AI” stance. The other cheap options listed in the OP (eg goonwrite) have embraced generative AI as far as I’m aware based on their blog posts.

Damonza requires you to explicitly opt out of AI at check out if you don’t want them having AI as an option for source images (note: they don’t necessarily always choose to use AI even if you don’t opt out but best to be clear if you don’t want that possibility on the table). They also have a text only design package if you want to BYO art.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Leng posted:

Hasn’t changed a lot. Brand under the same pen name if you think there’ll be a decent overlap between audiences for your books, else do separate pen names. This is a judgement call depending on what you write. I’ve seen romance authors spin up different pen names just to distinguish between steamy and non steamy, or type of relationship, even if it’s all under a similar umbrella like small town romance or whatever.

SFF has more leeway.

Thanks for all this (and the rest of the post.) Seems it hasn't changed much since I was doing it, just refined, a lot. Is it possible to do an Iain (M) Banks yet, with KDP, or is that simply him brute forcing the Amazon search results through the weight of his two names? Basically having one parent pen name and two variations under it. One for one style, one for another, but both within the recognisable name. It'd be possible to do it with covers, images and text, etc. but from what I can recall it's not possible to have two different names represent the same author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Mrenda posted:

Is it possible to do an Iain (M) Banks yet, with KDP, or is that simply him brute forcing the Amazon search results through the weight of his two names?

It’s two separate pen names. Applies to all platforms as far as I’m aware, because you’re filling out different metadata for the same field.