Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Sally Forth posted:

Are you self publishing (uploading to Amazon, Kobo etc.) or submitting to publishers? If it's the former, I'll demure to the rest of the thread on what's normal.

If you're submitting to publishers, there are a few things to be aware of:
  • Vanity publishers are absolutely everywhere. A traditional publisher will not charge you for any step of the publication process, because their goal is to make money off selling your book to readers. Vanity presses make their money off getting the author to pay them for their services, so have no real motivation to sell your book. A good rule of thumb to differentiate them is whether the front page of their website is primarily advertising books to readers, or publishing services to writers. Writer Beware is a good resource for avoiding them. If you're not going to pursue traditional publication then self-publishing using the advice and resources in this thread will serve you far better than a vanity publisher.
  • Warnings aside, there are reputable indie publishers out there who accept unsolicited submissions, and depending on your goals and the genre you're writing in, they may be the best fit for your book, but most of the publishers with the resources to get your book into bookshops and libraries and onto bestseller lists don't take unagented submissions. If that's what you're hoping for, before you query publishers, you need to query literary agents. Once you have an agent, they'll submit the book to publishers on your behalf.
  • If you're hoping to traditionally publish, 175k is pretty long for a horror debut. Before you shop it around, I'd suggest you try and get the wordcount down.

Ah, thank you so much. That's an invaluable link and excellent way to cut between the bullshit. I've spent a solid part of the day dissecting different "publishers" and discovering plenty are bullshit.

I've yet to post in the other thread, but I'm on the fence about how to publish. My goal on the first novel is expanding readership, not profit. I'm absolutely fine with breaking even, or even losing some. I'm disabled in America, so the possible income is a headache that will involve lawyers at some point. What I don't want to do is slop something together that isn't professional, sell ten copies, then have it just puff into the ether.

Also, it's going to be cut into two novels if not three. It was written in one go and tells one story, so I've yet to commit to precisely how I'm cutting it apart. But naw, it isn't a 175k word single novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

SimonChris posted:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=%22simon+christiansen%22

Seriously, the book still isn't showing up when searching in "All". If I search for my name, it finds my other books but not the first one. I have to switch to "Books" to make it show up. Have anyone else had this issue? I would like to avoid contacting Amazon support if at all possible.

You need to contact Amazon. Here is what I get when I click on your link. I tried turning off my VPN, too.

This is using Safari on a MacBook Pro that is completely up to date.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Just going to ask a quick survey question -

For all you fine self-published folks, do you use chapters?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I appreciate the input on the chapters. Which means I'm going to be using them from here on out. I always preferred simple page breaks when the story is linear and from a simple viewpoint, like only two characters. But I don't want to give myself a disadvantage on the first thing I publish.

I'm purposely using chapters in a short story/novella I'm working on the side, and it's an adjustment.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Reading this makes me want to bump up my silly plans to cold-read some bad romance novels on Youtube.

It sounds like the world could use some affordable narrators who aren't ChatGPT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Sundae posted:

Just to give you a heads-up on this: I did this with erotica as a goofball YT podcast with friends, where we'd read bad erotica and joke about it while getting increasingly drunk. The result was 4-5 episodes that almost nobody watched but which somehow still got the channel suspended by Google. Don't use ones that are too explicit, if you do that.

This is what's going to get read -

It would just be to entertain about ten people in TFR and some other friends. I randomly got this sent with a piece of Moroccan currency I ordered for my collection, and I still have zero idea why. This looks like a hidden Christianity romance novel -

Did you get suspended for your reading being racy? Or something else?