Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sundae posted:

Oh I get that - I've heard the stories from people who had access early. The rule just makes no sense in general, efficacy or not. That's like 90% of romance novels banned right there, plus some suspense and thrillers, basically all the scots and shifters, and even some diet books. :lol:

Not to mention Conan the Barbarian style stuff, and so much more.

Is there a stated reason for this rule? Could it we a drool check to get rid of people who don't read the rules? It just seems so arbitrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Aaronicon posted:

Depending on the genre, trying to be different actually makes selling your work harder when it comes to covers. People have expectations when they're in a genre - they expect covers for a thriller to look one way, covers for a romance to look a different way - so while you might gain some attention from people who would normally scan over your book, there's going to be just as many if not more who'll look at it and pass it over because it looks too different from what they're expecting.

I read the premise and saw "photoshopped stock photo cover" and imagined the standard sort of shopped together job done in creepy serial killer shrine collage style, possibly with some blood spatter, and title and author on one of the collage fragments. Felt like I have to share that and I have no mental filter.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sundae posted:

Can anyone recommend good books (non-fiction or contemporary non-genre fiction) featuring multiple personality disorder lead characters?

Multiple personality disorder stopped being a recognized disorder a while ago and no longer appears in the DSM, etc. Even Dissociative Identity Disorder, the...uh...successor, is pretty controversial, with a lot of experts arguing that it's the result of therapy techniques that end up giving ideas to very suggestible and troubled people with some other dissociative disorder. I'm not remotely qualified to go into detail; I just paid attention in Psych 101 and read a lot of wikipedia.

Point is, anything contemporary that deals with multiple personalities--particularly if they call it that--isn't going to be any better than making it the hell up for yourself.

Wikipedia is a decent place to start, with the usual wiki caveats.

Vvv oh, whoops. Just wanted to make sure you didn't, like, get a third of the way into a novel and go "WAIT, poo poo." :buddy:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 20, 2015