Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

How do you figure out who to give ARCs to anyway?

Somebody posted Amazon's top reviewers in the last thread, but pretty few of them reviewed fiction.

I was thinking about tracking down people who reviewed my also boughts, but most of them seem to prefer what is eventually mean spirited Warhammer 40K fan fiction and my most successful book is much lighter, goofier and happier.

I've got a modest mailing list. Maybe I could leverage that somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah, it's easy to drop say, Kobo, because they're terrible but it's not really practical to drop Amazon, regardless of what you think of their business practices. Which is sad. The beef they've been having with Hatchette is very troubling in that regard.

But pretty much all these companies are terrible. Amazon is essentially the Walmart of the internet. Google really isn't any better.

But it's probably easier now than ever to launch an eBook store. I don't have numbers in front of me but I'll bet you a good percent of the market has moved to smart phones. To make a serious dent in the market would require a rock solid app and a ton of advertising.

On the other end of the spectrum I wonder what effect Patreon will eventually have on the market. If I could build up a decent following I think I'd prefer to release all my stuff for free and live off literal patronage, mostly out of my distaste for the major players in the ebook and comics markets. But I'm still a ways away from that.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Big publishers get paid a set amount per book regardless of what Amazon sells it for. It's not really comparable to how they treat small presses and self pubers. I doubt Amazon's terms will be too onerous but I'm not sure I like anything that gives them a further stranglehold on the ebook market.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

You can have as many pen names as you want on your main KDP account. Last I checked Author Central only accepts 3 pen names per account but they don't object to you making more accounts. And that's a useful thing to have but not mission critical.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

For anyone that doesn't sperg out and make their epubs by hand like me I'd suggest they use D2D's converter. It's generally more intelligent than the other options. And if you still have trouble with fancy formatting you can go into the settings of your D2D account and that'll give you a bit more control than the other easy options.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

D2D will probably just figure it out on it's own. When you upload your file it'll show a box with the section hierarchy for it's auto-generated table of contents. If you use a lot of different formatting it might get a little too judicious and parse everything that isn't normal text as a separate section (so far I've only seen this on overly elaborate files). If that happens you can go through the settings panel in the main section of D2D and there's a setting in there to define section separations as a specific type of formatting (heading 1, heading 2, centered->bold, whatever). Keep uploading new versions until you get the hierarchy you want. It shouldn't take too much effort. Then just download the .mobi it generates and use it in Amazon.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

I've used a cheaper Chromebook than that as my main writing rig for a while. It's OK, not great. My one suggestion of to write in smaller segments because Google Docs on cheapo Chromebooks will choke on novel sized files. So long as you do your prepress/covers on a more powerful computer you'll be fine (and how could you create covers on one of them anyway?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

It doesn't really matter unless you want to use their extended distribution and frankly you should go with Draft2Digital for that.