Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PepperSinclaire
Jan 21, 2007

But everyone's doooing it!

magnificent7 posted:

Could you take a look at the listing and give me some suggestions, if you think of anything?
http://www.amazon.com/Speak-Secret-Name-Van-Hall-ebook/dp/B00CUXP262/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1403966505&sr=1-1

Well, for one thing the cover says Van Hall, but Amazon have the author name as Vicki Hall under the "More about the author" section. And when you click the author link to Van Hall, you get a bunch of random authors listed, so it'd be a good idea to check that he has a proper author page set up, especially if he plans on releasing anything else. Avoids confusion, if local folks end up searching online for his author name.

Also the prices are a bit odd - maybe round them up a little? Try $4.99 or $5.99 instead of $5.70 for example.

And as for categories, there's a KDP help page with suggestions on terms to use to get into more sub-sections at https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A3NTX9NCJD3D5X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PepperSinclaire
Jan 21, 2007

I'm going through a proof copy of my second horror/thriller novel and changing a ton of stuff while waiting for beta readers to do the same. It's great having a physical copy (via Createspace) to scribble all over, check how the cover looks etc.

PepperSinclaire
Jan 21, 2007

Railing Kill posted:

:question: Has anyone had success publishing humor and/or personal essays? I don't know if Amazon or similar avenues have a developed readership for this kind of thing, or if most of the readers are looking for genre stuff. I've poked around Amazon enough to notice they have sections for it, but I just don't know if anyone buys it.

I have one vaguely successful (sells 1 copy some months, 20 the next) non-fiction humour book out there. The best thing I can suggest is use Createspace or similar to make a print version, because you'll likely sell nothing/very little otherwise. Humour books are meant to be propped up next to the toilet so you can flick through them. I only have ebook versions for sale out of habit, but I've sold 1 ebook copy total in 1.5 years on the market, compared with around 100 physical copies (due to minimal promotion on my part).

PepperSinclaire
Jan 21, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There's an OpenOffice / LibreOffice plugin that does pretty much that called Slick Write:

http://www.slickwrite.com/

Hemingway is also pretty good - it counts up your adverbs, passive voice uses etc. then colour codes them.

PepperSinclaire
Jan 21, 2007

Yooper posted:

This novel literally opens up with the death of thousands of sailors and marines as the starship crashes. The survivors are slowly freezing to death in a barren wasteland. That's all cool I guess, but say gently caress and I've gone too far.

Reviews are weird. My first horror novel is called MELT. It's described as a story in which a virus causes people to melt. Much melting ensues.

One review complains that too many people die from melting.

V:downs:V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PepperSinclaire
Jan 21, 2007

ravenkult posted:

Of course, Amazon is refusing to accept that Lovecraft's work is in the public domain, despite selling a couple dozen versions of his complete works in their store. fml

This might he handy if you haven't seen it already: http://selfpublishebook.midwestjournalpress.com/2014/08/making-sense-of-amazons-public-domain_17.html